Around the NFL and General discussion

hornbybrown

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

After watching Goff and Mahommes last night. I’m really excited to see Baker in year 2.

Baker is a baller. Get him a brilliant offensive mind, and y'all are set. And it doesn't hurt that McVay loves the kid. McVay knows QBs.

5 hours ago, mistakey said:

i know it was atl and i know we need more talent at wr, but the good thing about having a qb like baker who seems to be developing into a dude who finds the open guy (as long as the plays are called well) he hit 9 different targets and none of them had over 40 yards.  is spendign 2 firsts on OBJ really worth it?  callaway and higgins can definitely improve some more.  improving breshad is imperative, but that can prob be done in the draft.  

id much rather save that 2nd first for an OT, DE, DT, LB, CB in the year after

I don't know about spending two firsts on OBJ (tbh, I wouldn't have been upset if the Rams had), but you really need a go-to guy. Spending a first on Cooks was well worth it. While our offense spreads the ball around, it's nice having a guy you can count on week in and week out to make plays. Trust me, I don't miss the days of Kenny Britt, Tavon, and Brian Quick.

53 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Baker is a baller. Get him a brilliant offensive mind, and y'all are set. And it doesn't hurt that McVay loves the kid. McVay knows QBs.

I don't know about spending two firsts on OBJ (tbh, I wouldn't have been upset if the Rams had), but you really need a go-to guy. Spending a first on Cooks was well worth it. While our offense spreads the ball around, it's nice having a guy you can count on week in and week out to make plays. Trust me, I don't miss the days of Kenny Britt, Tavon, and Brian Quick.

I’m fine with spending 1 on it, two just seems overkill imo

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed (I mean, I always advocate for a trade down, but this year too).

We have a decent about of top end talent, what we really lack imo is depth and high quality reserves at positions that require rotating/using multiple players regularly.

I think we need players who can add significant contributions at WR, CB, and DE. One of each, at a minimum.

I think a developmental tackle/OL, DT and LBer who can provide depth is necessary at some point as well.

I’d like to see Dorsey use a day pick on another RB too as he seems to have an eye for that position.

I disagree pretty strongly.

Who is our top talent?

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

I disagree pretty strongly.

Who is our top talent?

Baker, Ward and Garrett are the “blue chip” talents and Schobert as playing at an elite level (#3 LB according to PFF).  Perhaps it’s a bit early, but Chubb looks like the real deal as well.

That’s an elite talent at each level of the defense as well as QB and RB.  Bitonio and Zeitler are very high level interior OL as well. I think you could argue Juice is an elite slot WR too.

It also doesn’t account for young guys who have flashed at times and who have the potential to be significantly better moving forward, such as Ogunjobi, Peppers, Avery, Randle, Calloway, Njoku, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, you can never have enough blue chip players, but if I was to choose one elite talent (which hopefully we won’t be in range to get) vs 3 good starters, I’d rather have the depth of talent.

I wasn't a fan of the Landry signing because he's never been a real #1 but I think he's been playing a little hurt this season. He hurt his knee at some point in training camp or early in the year if I remember correct, and after his no days off speech, he's sure as **** obligated now to play thru it. His best skill after his hands has always been his yac ability and he hasn't shown that at all here. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear at some point in the off season that he was playing through something.

On the HC search and paring Baker with some up and coming offensive mind...I think that my be foolish. If Baker keeps flashing like he has with Kitchens, I don't see why you make a move for an untested guy and a whole new offense. I'm really not a fan of Greg Williams but if the team looks good against the tough competition they're going up against to finish the year..you've got to make him the full time coach.

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

I wasn't a fan of the Landry signing as I never thought of him as a real #1 but I'll think he's been playing a little hurt this season. He hurt his knee at some point in training camp or early in the year if I remember correct, and after his no days off speech, he's sure as **** obligated now to play thru it. His best skill after his hands has always been his yac ability and he hasn't shown that at all here. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear at some point in the off season that he was playing through something.

On the HC search and paring Baker with some up and coming offensive mind...I think that my be foolish. If Baker keeps flashing like he has with Kitchens, I don't see why you make a move for an untested guy and a whole new offense. I'm really not a fan of Greg Williams but if the team looks good against the tough competition they're going up against to finish the year..you've got to make him the full time coach.

He’s not hurt. This is just what he’s been his entire career. 

3 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Idt it’s so much his straight line speed I’m worried about, I’m more concerned with his lateral quickness 

His lateral skills are pretty insane for a man his size. He is a bigger version of Joshua Cribbs. He puts his foot in the ground and explodes gaining ground quickly. He fights and scraps for yards after contact and runs through arm tackles with powerful strides. I think he is a bonafide stud.

2 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

I wasn't a fan of the Landry signing because he's never been a real #1 but I think he's been playing a little hurt this season. He hurt his knee at some point in training camp or early in the year if I remember correct, and after his no days off speech, he's sure as **** obligated now to play thru it. His best skill after his hands has always been his yac ability and he hasn't shown that at all here. Wouldn't surprise me if we hear at some point in the off season that he was playing through something.

Don't fall into that trap.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Dorsey has never gotten to pick his HC. I have no doubts he’s had a short list in mind for sometime. I really don’t think Gregggg is realistically in the running if Dorsey really does have autonomy. 

That’s a good point.

Archived