Around the NFL and General discussion

hornbybrown

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s early, it matters more as the season wears on.

I’m still more of the mindset of drafting defensive talent high and developing/scheming offense.

I wouldn’t pass on a studmuffin WR though.

I definitely think defense matters still. We lead the league in turnovers...just imagine if we had an offense to capitalize on them. It's never about one side or the other, it's about being great in all aspects. If the defense is good enough, they'll give up less touchdowns than our offense when we become great. Look at the Chiefs and Rams. Their defenses aren't complete wastes, they make stops and force turnovers too.

The thing with the "studmuffin" WR's in this class, there really aren't any. This receiver class is LOADED with talent, but none of them stand out like a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green. There's gonna be some incredibly talented guys on the board in day 2, even day 3. I'm confident Dorsey will take at least one. So many guys in this group with incredible length who are contested catch monsters and the athleticism to eventually develop into something special, and most of em won't go in the first round.

2 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I definitely think defense matters still. We lead the league in turnovers...just imagine if we had an offense to capitalize on them. It's never about one side or the other, it's about being great in all aspects. If the defense is good enough, they'll give up less touchdowns than our offense when we become great. Look at the Chiefs and Rams. Their defenses aren't complete wastes, they make stops and force turnovers too.

Agreed, you need a complete roster.

2 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

The thing with the "studmuffin" WR's in this class, there really aren't any. This receiver class is LOADED with talent, but none of them stand out like a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green. There's gonna be some incredibly talented guys on the board in day 2, even day 3. I'm confident Dorsey will take at least one. So many guys in this group with incredible length who are contested catch monsters and the athleticism to eventually develop into something special, and most of em won't go in the first round.

Tbh I haven’t spent much time educating myself about this upcoming class other than the DL and a few big names.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed, you need a complete roster.

Tbh I haven’t spent much time educating myself about this upcoming class other than the DL and a few big names.

It's gonna be a fun draft class, and obviously, I'm happy to discuss it anytime lol.

The theme with this receiving class, in my eyes, is potential. So many of these guys are still pretty raw. The ones at the top of the board are lacking in terms of elite athleticism, which is something Dorsey has always opted for in his draft history. Kelvin Harmon, N'Keal Harry, AJ Brown are the ones I'm talkin about mostly. Then you've got guys like Denzel Mims (HS Track Star) who could sneak in because of an edge in the speed category. After that, though, there's gonna be so many names in day 2 who I could envision putting on the orange and brown.

Just now, MistaBohmbastic said:

It's gonna be a fun draft class, and obviously, I'm happy to discuss it anytime lol.

The theme with this receiving class, in my eyes, is potential. So many of these guys are still pretty raw. The ones at the top of the board are lacking in terms of elite athleticism, which is something Dorsey has always opted for in his draft history. Kelvin Harmon, N'Keal Harry, AJ Brown are the ones I'm talkin about mostly. Then you've got guys like Denzel Mims (HS Track Star) who could sneak in because of an edge in the speed category. After that, though, there's gonna be so many names in day 2 who I could envision putting on the orange and brown.

I like the little of seen from Harry.

I prefer size as opposed to just speed, and athleticism is great, but the greats are skilled as much as they are athletic.  If being big and fast was all that mattered Ricardo Louis would be a stud.

Harry actually reminds me of AJ Green, is that accurate?  Again, haven’t seen a ton of him, but he’s got the big frame and is sneaky fast.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like the little of seen from Harry.

I prefer size as opposed to just speed, and athleticism is great, but the greats are skilled as much as they are athletic.  If being big and fast was all that mattered Ricardo Louis would be a stud.

Harry actually reminds me of AJ Green, is that accurate?  Again, haven’t seen a ton of him, but he’s got the big frame and is sneaky fast.

The combine is going to be a huge opportunity to prove some of these knocks wrong. I agree with you, speed isn't everything, but it's a tool that Dorsey looks for. Chris Conley ran a 4.35, Tyreek Hill ran a 4.24, Jehu Chesson ran a 4.45 (coming off a knee injury), Callaway is a low 4.4 guy. The pattern is there. Harry looks like a 4.5 guy who lacks some agility as well. 

I will say this about Harry, he has all the tools you look for in a receiver, outside of those related to speed. He can gain separation in other ways. But he just doesn't strike me as a guy Dorsey would draft, let alone in round 1 or round 2. He likes the raw talent guys. Guys who sometimes struggle with drops or physicality, but have the athleticism to turn into a complete WR who can be dangerous in open space.

Archived