Note to Kieth Butler: How to cover Tightends by...

SMashMouthMike

3 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

BBellicheat and Donte Hightower.

The answer? You kinda don't, you just put a big dude in front of them and prevent them from running unimpeded seam routes.

Last year Davis was covering gronk, not bad btw, but as there say you can't defend the perfect pass.  For these TE's of today, there might be a few lB's that can cover them, it's such a mismatch.  Holding  them at the LOS helps and give the front time to get to the QB.  I don't have the answers on this roster outside of maybe Thomas but he won't see the field.  

Now how about a Note , I mean petition to keith butler: leave burns on the inactive list, let Allen have a chance, both Allens if you have to.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:33 AM, 3rivers said:

Last year Davis was covering gronk, not bad btw, but as there say you can't defend the perfect pass

U can reroute and slow them down, not with a shrimp inside 5 or 10 yards of the LOS though. A safety over the top or after that will work fine.

For these TE's of today, there might be a few lB's that can cover them, it's such a mismatch.

Of course it is. Don't let them play that ish. You can't stop a power forward from slam dunking an alley-yupe once he's got free path to the basket with momentum. And you don't defend that with an athletic point guard( which is what we're trying to do...sorta.)  And you don't cover their slahers(wrs), with our OLBs. I have no idea wth Butler is trying to do, but it's a joke. It's like he never has enough athletes, or cover guys, or pass rushers, or some other special defender. Well, hell Coach, you want a roster full of probowl defenders with a deep bench to make your defensive scheme work? He's playing Madden.

Holding  them at the LOS helps and give the front time to get to the QB. Bingo! 

I don't have the answers on this roster outside of maybe Thomas but he won't see the field. 

IMO, that's not right either. Might help, but VW wears the helmet. VW can impede them and slow them down and be physical with those sissies, but he can't play the ball in the air...at all. You need a thumper, preferably a more athletic one, AND a cover dude(safety) over the top. Hightower gave Kelce fits all game, especially in the 1st half. That's what has to be done.

Now how about a Note , I mean petition to keith butler: leave burns on the inactive list, let Allen have a chance, both Allens if you have to.

Burns sucks, but everyone does in Butler's prevent. Burns needs a pass rush, and Butler insists on only rushing 3 or 4 to "protect" the lead. Butler has to adjust his philosophy and coach them up and change this passiveness. He should absolutely be fired if he won't. The Pats just showed him how to play tightends! Look at what the bengals backup tight end just did to his defense.

Butler had the ultimate athletic LB in Shazier and I don't recall him being asked to cover very often. When they drafted him I remember thinking, "Finally. Someone who can Man up Gronk/athletic TEs". Only to be disappointed when Davis and Hilton...etc were given the responsibility. >:(

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Butler had the ultimate athletic LB in Shazier and I don't recall him being asked to cover very often. When they drafted him I remember thinking, "Finally. Someone who can Man up Gronk/athletic TEs". Only to be disappointed when Davis and Hilton...etc were given the responsibility. >:(

I thought this as well, only to be let down as you did. Now we have different issues, that keep reoccurring .  I thought M.Allen was going to be a hybrid LB/S that would cover TE's at times, or B.Allen , but to see our traditional LB's trying, it's a mismatch that good teams will look for. Dalton saw Burns 1 on 1 and went right at him, good play on his part. 

Shazier made that nice pic covering the TE vs Bills in preseason, but never saw much of that after as you pointed out. 

I am not as concerned about the TE as the CB situation.  Pull the tag, let bell walk and trade for Peterson21.  Send burns and dupree to cards if you want, just get Peterson and then blitz every down ! No need for a DC then is thereB| 

Archived