Why isn't anyone talking about the Cincinnati Bengals?

DigInBoys

9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't think the Bengals beating the Ravens is an aberration, they do it pretty regularly; and again, they easily could have beaten the Steelers if one more play went in their favor.

This is my biggest gripe about the game and Marvin Lewis.  When you play it "safe" and keep punting from the 40, one play can make or break the game.  If he doesn't change we'll keep losing close games...

30 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't think the Bengals are talented enough to make a deep playoff run because I don't see them keeping up with either New England or Kansas City, but they're definitely playoff contenders, if for no other reason than the mediocrity of the rest of the AFC.

The mediocrity in AFC playoff contender depth perception from the offseason has not panned out. At LEAST one of the Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs and Chargers is guaranteed to miss the playoffs. Probably more than one of them. But, they all look, right now, like teams that have the potential for a run in the playoffs 

9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The mediocrity in AFC playoff contender depth perception from the offseason has not panned out. At LEAST one of the Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs and Chargers is guaranteed to miss the playoffs. Probably more than one of them. But, they all look, right now, like teams that have the potential for a run in the playoffs 

Except for the Chiefs, I don't think any of the teams you mentioned are really that great. That's the point. Also it's interesting to me that you mention the Chiefs, a team that will, in my mind, almost certainly be in the playoffs but you don't mention the Jaguars, Titans or Dolphins, who are by no means guaranteed but wildcard contenders like the Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, and Chargers...

Chargers had a nice win last week but people are too high on them, imo. While it's true their two losses were against the Rams and Chiefs, one can't forget that their only wins are versus the Bills, Jimmyless 49ers (and only barely inked out a win at that), and the Browns. Then again, their entire schedule is extremely light until the last five games of the season. I honestly think they'll be 8-3 or so going into that stretch but drop to 9-7.

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Except for the Chiefs, I don't think any of the teams you mentioned are really that great. That's the point. Also it's interesting to me that you mention the Chiefs, a team that will, in my mind, almost certainly be in the playoffs but you don't mention the Jaguars or Titans, who are by no means guaranteed but contenders like the Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, and Chargers..

I believe those teams look like solid playoff contenders in any year. IDK how you want to define "not great", but I probably disagree with you. 

You may have missed my point in the teams I listed. There are only maximum 4 playoff spots for the 5 teams I listed (only looking at 2 divisions), so at least one of those teams will be out of an AFC playoff race that was expected to have some mediocre teams slide in.

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I believe those teams look like solid playoff contenders in any year. IDK how you want to define "not great", but I probably disagree with you. 

You may have missed my point in the teams I listed. There are only maximum 4 playoff spots for the 5 teams I listed (only looking at 2 divisions), so at least one of those teams will be out of an AFC playoff race that was expected to have some mediocre teams slide in.

They really aren't great though. I don't think any of the teams you listed are sure-fire playoff contenders. They all have some pretty big flaws. Aside from the Chiefs, I'd rate any of the teams you listed as "more unlikely than likely" to make the playoffs if they were in the NFC (unless they were in the NFC East, perhaps).

The talent gap between the Patriots and Chiefs and the rest of the pack in the AFC is pretty immense.

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They really aren't great though. I don't think any of the teams you listed are sure-fire playoff contenders. They all have some pretty big flaws. Aside from the Chiefs, I'd rate any of the teams you listed as "more unlikely than likely" to make the playoffs if they were in the NFC (unless they were in the NFC East, perhaps).

The talent gap between the Patriots and Chiefs and the rest of the pack in the AFC is pretty immense.

Yea... So compared to my evaluation, you are greatly overrating the NFC and/or underrating the AFC. There are two top threats in each conference (Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Pats), but other than those two, no one in the NFC looks clearly stronger than any of the second tier AFC teams I mentioned. I'd probably even favor the AFC second tier.

27 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

What about the Chargers? They aren't that far off in offensive talent but significantly more talented defensively. Ingram, James, and Bosa are all studs.

43 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Bengals do seem to have a pretty difficult schedule, depending on how one views the Browns:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/cin

43 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Except for the Chiefs, I don't think any of the teams you mentioned are really that great. That's the point. Also it's interesting to me that you mention the Chiefs, a team that will, in my mind, almost certainly be in the playoffs but you don't mention the Jaguars, Titans or Dolphins, who are by no means guaranteed but wildcard contenders like the Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, and Chargers...

Chargers had a nice win last week but people are too high on them, imo. While it's true their two losses were against the Rams and Chiefs, one can't forget that their only wins are versus the Bills, Jimmyless 49ers (and only barely inked out a win at that), and the Browns. Then again, their entire schedule is extremely light until the last five games of the season. I honestly think they'll be 8-3 or so going into that stretch but drop to 9-7.

Chargers lost but didn't get destroyed by either the Rams or Chiefs, which is saying a lot these days.

Archived