Why isn't anyone talking about the Cincinnati Bengals?

DigInBoys

Just now, DigInBoys said:

What about the Chargers? They aren't that far off in offensive talent but significantly more talented defensively. Ingram, James, and Bosa are all studs.

For reasons I explained previously, I'm not really high on the Chargers. They've beaten the Bills, 49ers, and Browns. Ingram is a quality DE but I don't think he's a special player. Bosa still needs to get on the field (and prove he can stay on it for any reasonable length of time). Derwin James has been awesome but outside of him and Casey Hayward, the Chargers secondary without Verrett looks pedestrian, and the linebackers look downright bad. Their interior DL doesn't impress me either.

Offensively, Melvin Gordon is a stud and Rivers will keep that passing attack fresh. They can definitely move the ball. But even their offense can't put points on the board at the pace the Chiefs or Patriots can.

4 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Chargers lost but didn't get destroyed by either the Rams or Chiefs, which is saying a lot these days.

Chargers scored some garbage time points versus the Chiefs... they were out of it most of the game, pretty much.

They did keep pace with the Rams for the most part. But then again, CJ Beathard was able to keep pace with the Chargers in one of their losses so... Eh?

I'm not that high on them. I think they could definitely make the playoffs but they've lost to the only two quality teams they've faced. Their schedule is extremely soft, so that bodes well but we really won't know if they are a playoff caliber team until we see how they fare in the final five games of their season, since they don't really play a quality team until then. Hardest game on their schedule until then is their London game versus the Seahawks...

24 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea... So compared to my evaluation, you are greatly overrating the NFC and/or underrating the AFC. There are two top threats in each conference (Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Pats), but other than those two, no one in the NFC looks clearly stronger than any of the second tier AFC teams I mentioned. I'd probably even favor the AFC second tier.

Clearly our evaluation differs.

To be honest, I think some NFC teams have under-performed early in the season to their talent level and it will even out as the season goes on... I'm definitely not ready to throw out all of my previous evaluations of rosters based on 6 games. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, we should agree to disagree.

Baltimore is the only win they have that they can honestly hang their hat on.

Had Miami, who is actually a horrible team, not turned the ball over, cincy would have actually lost that game. The Atlanta Falcons defense is just pathetic. Steelers cant hang their hat on the Falcons win either for same reason.

Are they a contender? Thatll be determined by their next 4 games.

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Derwin James has been awesome but outside of him and Casey Hayward, the Chargers secondary without Verrett looks downright pedestrian 

Desmond King???

Their interior DL doesn't impress me either.

They’re missing their best interior linemen. I wager most teams’ interior would look unimpressive without their two best defensive linemen.

But even their offense can't put points on the board at the pace the Chiefs or Patriots can.

They’re the only team to score 3 offensive TDs in every game...

Chargers scored some garbage time points versus the Chiefs... they were out of it most of the game, pretty much.

I don't think you watched that game then. The game was much closer then the final score with the Chargers leaving points on the field (Tyrell dropped TD) and ST miscues (JJ Jones muffed point which KC recovered in Chargers territory and scored). It was 17-12 at half time and that was with Tyrell dropping an easy touchdown that could have made it 19-17. The Chiefs are the better team, but it wasn't a one-sided affair. 

They did keep pace with the Rams for the most part. But then again, CJ Beathard was able to keep pace with the Chargers in one of their losses so... Eh?

And? It was a bad game by the Chargers, but they have routinely dismantled the teams they were suppose to beat this season. That is what good teams do, they beat the bad ones pretty comfortable and that is what they did against Buffalo, Oakland, and Cleveland (who isn't a bad team). 

They’re the only team to score 3 offensive TDs in every game...

Seriously. Just look what they did to the Browns, who have been one of the best defenses so far this season. They held NO to 21 points in the dome, the Chargers destroyed them yesterday. They aren't as good as the Rams, Saints, or Chiefs. But they are on par with New England, Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

15 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I don't think you watched that game then. The game was much closer then the final score with the Chargers leaving points on the field (Tyrell dropped TD) and ST miscues (JJ Jones muffed point which KC recovered in Chargers territory and scored). It was 17-12 at half time and that was with Tyrell dropping an easy touchdown that could have made it 19-17. The Chiefs are the better team, but it wasn't a one-sided affair. 

And? It was a bad game by the Chargers, but they have routinely dismantled the teams they were suppose to beat this season. That is what good teams do, they beat the bad ones pretty comfortable and that is what they did against Buffalo, Oakland, and Cleveland (who isn't a bad team). 

Seriously. Just look what they did to the Browns, who have been one of the best defenses so far this season. They held NO to 21 points in the dome, the Chargers destroyed them yesterday. They aren't as good as the Rams, Saints, or Chiefs. But they are on par with New England, Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

We're a good team but if narrative is making people not believe in the Bengals the same is true about the Chargers. We haven't made the playoffs since 2013 and only have about 4 active players with playoff experience and a coach who would be making his first go at the playoffs. We also haven't beat the KC since 2013 and Rivers hasn't ever beat a Tom Brady led team. We have doubters and rightfully so.

We're a good team but if narrative is making people not believe in the Bengals the same is true about the Chargers.

I don't think the narrative is accurate for the Bengals as well. It is a new season, with different circumstances. Outside of New England and maybe Pittsburgh and Baltimore, none of the AFC "contenders" have much to hang their hats on in terms of recent playoff success. 

Last year doesn't matter or couple years ago. Just this year. Chargers have as much talent if not more than KC and NE. They are 3rd in offensive ypg, 5th ppg, i believe 2nd in big plays (20+ yd plays) and of the 3, they have the best defense and that is without arguably a top 5 defensive player in the league being out (Bosa). Not to mention Rivers 2nd rated passer in the league and their rb duo has most yds from scrimmage of any backfield.

Only area NE and KC have a clear advantage is TE. 

7 hours ago, game3525 said:

I don't think the narrative is accurate for the Bengals as well. It is a new season, with different circumstances. Outside of New England and maybe Pittsburgh and Baltimore, none of the AFC "contenders" have much to hang their hats on in terms of recent playoff success. 

Baltimore hasn't won a playoff game since 2014.  Hasn't been to the playoffs since then.

Really it's Pittsburgh and New England.  You could also throw in Denver, but they're clearly not relevant anymore.

11 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Are they a contender? Thatll be determined by their next 4 games.

I honestly don't think they are, but if they are, we won't know until week 17.  Until they beat Pittsburgh, they're just acting like the tough guy.

*I reserve the right to change my opinion if they beat KC this weekend...but i don't think that's going to happen with how beat up they are

Archived