• don't kill Baker before we get our next coordinator
    • get duke the ball
    • give Chubb the rock
    • Todd Haley is good
    • more TE screens please

44 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Haley isn’t the issue this browns offense is struggling

But hes certainly not helping us....

Yes he is running the ball more, but at the wrong times.  We run on 2nd and long to set up 3rd and long.

We don't run play actions on 2nd and short, we just run the ball, which is great that we make it, but it could be a bigger play.

We get within the 5 yard line and start throwing the ball, we absolutely should be running 3-4 times down there.

I think hes doing the right things, but consistantly at the wrong moments....

2 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

But hes certainly not helping us....

Yes he is running the ball more, but at the wrong times.  We run on 2nd and long to set up 3rd and long.

The idea is setting up 3rd and manageable...

We don't run play actions on 2nd and short, we just run the ball, which is great that we make it, but it could be a bigger play.

Fair I guess.

We get within the 5 yard line and start throwing the ball, we absolutely should be running 3-4 times down there.

It’s hard to run on a compressed defense. 

I think the biggest knock against Hailey right now is we are not getting the players who are succeeding in the game more.

"Chubb needs more carries" after his 3 touch, 104 yard 2 TD game.

Hes now carrying the ball 3 times a game instead of 2...

Also since then, Hyde 31 carries for 97 yards (3.13 ypc) where Chubb is 6 carries for 27 yards (4.5 ypc) (with at least one play brought back).

"Duke needs to touch the ball more", but so far its only been in garbage time, only when we need to throw the ball.  7 yards per time he touched it agianst Baltimore, and 18 yards per touch against the chargers.

We have no reliable hands in our receiving core and Devalve not one target.

We need to get these players the ball more and we just aren't.....and we are allowed to gameplan to do that....

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The idea is setting up 3rd and manageable...

I understand the idea but it has only been letting the other defense tee us up on 3rd down because then we need 3rd and long.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s hard to run on a compressed defense. 

Its hard to throw on a compressed defense.  Red zone is harder to gain yards.  But we have payed our guards a LOT of money for a reason, they can win those battles up front.

I understand the idea but it has only been letting the other defense tee us up on 3rd down because then we need 3rd and long.

You mean because we aren’t running the ball well?  Interesting take below then....

Its hard to throw on a compressed defense.  Red zone is harder to gain yards.  But we have payed our guards a LOT of money for a reason, they can win those battles up front.

Which why we’re tied for 3rd in the league as a team for rushing TD’s.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=O&cat=R&yr=2018&lg=NFL&sort=rushtds

We have a rookie QB, Green OTs, and a paper-thin WR corps. Haley is fine - he's made some great calls, some good ones, some questionable ones, and some bad ones, just like ever other competent OC in the league. If we add some more pieces next year, his offense will look better (if we don't clean house on the coaches).

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You mean because we aren’t running the ball well?  Interesting take below then...

We aren't consistently fooling anyone on second and long and gaining 5-8 yards on those runs.  So its not that we cant get 2 yards when we need it.  It's that we get 2 yards when we need 5-8.

Lets use yesterday alone as an example...

We threw the ball 21 times on the 30 first down attempts we had.  5 of those attempts were completed for 1st downs, 2 of them were intercepted, and 2 of those attempts was completed for a manageable 2nd down opportunities (8 yards for 2nd and 2, and 5 yards for 2nd and 5).  This created 12 attempts of 2nd and long.  Of those 12 attempts, we ran on 7 of them, 7 times it was second and long and we decided run the ball was the correct option.  On those 7 attempts we either converted or created a 3rd and short (and i'm saying short is 4 or less yards) only once.  That means 6 times we decided to throw the ball on first down and run the ball on second and put ourselves into 3rd and long (of which, we converted 1).

Also if we are good at running the ball, why are we passing it on first down 21 out of 30 times?!?!?!.  2nd down its MUCH closer to 50/50 where we are running it 13 times and passing it 15 times.  This kind of play calling just don't seem to be able to put ourselves in a good position.

We had 18 3rd down plays yesterday.  14 of them were for 5 or more yards.  We converted 4 of those 14 3rd and longs.  Of the 4 that were 3rd and short, we converted 3 of them.  

We NEED to put ourselves in better position to get first downs.  Putting a rookie QB in 3rd in long that many times is GOING to keep us from winning games.  And its going to hurt his confidence if it keeps going that direction...

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Which why we’re tied for 3rd in the league as a team for rushing TD’s.

Funny, I'm not really sure what you are arguing here.  So were good at running the ball in the redzone and scoring?  Because you are correct.  When its goal to go and short yardage, we have thrown the ball 14 times and run the ball 14 times.  Of those 14 runs we have scored 7 times.  Of those 14 passes we have scored 3 times.  We have also been sacked twice losing  yardage.  I'm saying stick to what you are good at here.  Hyde can get you short yardage.  We have never run it 3-4 times and been stuffed all 3-4 times. 

What annoys me is this.  against Oakland with a Rookie QB in his first start, our 3rd drive of the game, we get to the 13 yardline for 1st and 10, Great.  Hyde runs it for 5, 2nd and 5 at the 8.  Hyde runs it for 6, 1st and goal at the 2.  Penalty on oakland, too many men on the field, 1st and goal on the 1!!!!.  Baker throws a pass incomplete, RUN THE BALL, at least we have 3 other chances todo it.  We do, run the ball and get stuffed.  Good, okay that happens, we have 2 more chances, still first and goal on the 1.  Another pass, baker gets sacked, lose 6 yards, kick the fieldgoal.  1st and goal at the 1.  That's a failure....

Next week.  Baltimore.  1st and goal from the 6, pass incomplete. 2nd and goal, we ran only once on second and goal form the 6 for no gain, now you have to throw, 11 yard sack, settled for a fieldgoal.

We have a rookie QB, Help him out by running the football, and not in situations were it would create difficult opportunities for him.

58 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, let’s keep in mind we were running with 3 WR’s yesterday, 2 of which were day 3 rookies.

That puts any OC in a tough spot.

It does put your OC in a tough spot, but you need to be able to game-plan around that.  Set up more throws to Jarvis with our other WR's hurt.  Maybe throw the ball to duke.  Maybe plan to run the ball with duke.  Maybe put DeValve in the game more often.  I'm not saying fire Hailey, but I am disappointing with him.  It doesn't seem that we know how to set up a rookie QB for success.  It seems like we want to throw him into the fire with WR's who can't catch the ball and hope for the best.  Again putting him in 3rd and long 14 different times yesterday.

1 hour ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Honestly I'd say there's not a sole on the coaching staff who's untouchable. Let the new guy at HC assemble the whole gang next year, I say. 

I’d keep Zamp as the QB coach. I like Henry as the WR coach. Every one else, see you later!!! I would prolly keep the secondary coach as well but I don’t know who they is off the top of my head

Haley is still an upgrade over Hue as a play caller, though... not that that's saying a whole lot. Overall, I'd say he's been below average to average as a coordinator. It is frustrating that he doesn't utilize Chubb or Duke more often. And his situational play calling is completely idiotic at times, but anyone who's watched Pittsburgh over the years should know this. Offensive coordinators are always easy scapegoats, though. How many fans around the league like their team's offensive coordinator? Not many.

Archived