Pittsburgh game-winning penalty uncalled?

SmittyBacall

Was it a penalty?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a penalty?

No sour grapes here. Just a question for neutral fans. Poor clock management and a decimated roster are more to blame than one play. But did Justin Hunter illegally block/pick our nickel corner on their game winning touchdown? It seems clear Hunter engaged McCrae before the ball as thrown. Should this have been called? Did the refs miss this? What is the official ruling?

hunterblock.jpg.jpg

Also, i blame McRae for this.  He knew he had inside when the receivers stacked.  He still took a half step outside even though Brown literally never went that direction.  It was really bad defense.

This never gets called as a penalty.  I think it should, but it's not.  So it can't be called in this case either.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:
43 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

might be nail in the coffin for lewis. hes gone unless they get far in the playoffs

So loss #16 to the Steelers is the nail in the coffin?  Not loss #15?

Also, the Bengals remaining schedule includes:

Bucs
Browns x2
Broncos
Raiders

Plus Ravens (already beat once), and the Steelers again. 

This loss hurts them for sure, but there's plenty of season left.  The nail in the coffin won't come until they're 6-9 and lose that last game of the season to the Steelers again.

42 minutes ago, August4th said:

NFL came out and said the corner caused the contact.. so no OPI

Al Riveron is blind if he thinks McRae initiated the contact

Oh, and to answer the question - yes it was a penalty but it'd never get called - both because of the game situation and because the NFL will always favour the offense

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Al Riveron is blind if he thinks McRae initiated the contact

I agree that the Pitt WR ran into McRae.  But as a defender, the only way to sell this is to not put your hands up.  Try to be running toward Brown and not actively look like you're trying to jam the WR.  Because i can see why people would think.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I agree that the Pitt WR ran into McRae.  But as a defender, the only way to sell this is to not put your hands up.  Try to be running toward Brown and not actively look like you're trying to jam the WR.  Because i can see why people would think.

This and his teammate was already telling him that was going to be the play. It's a design that's so common that defenses have to be smarter about defending it at this point.

Archived