Pittsburgh game-winning penalty uncalled?

SmittyBacall

Was it a penalty?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a penalty?

1 minute ago, Malik said:

This and his teammate was already telling him that was going to be the play. It's a design that's so common that defenses have to be smarter about defending it at this point.

This is what happens when the starters go down and you have a 5th stringer in there haha.

Generally prefer those penalties go uncalled, so I'm not really upset with the non-call. 

That said, and maybe it's just because I'm a Bengals fan I feel this way, but it ALWAYS appears that in these Steeler-Bengal matchups the "close/ticky tack" calls get called on the Bengals but not on the Steelers.  I'm fine with not calling the illegal block, but the Cordy Glenn hold, and Dre Kirkpatrick DPI on the last drive, were both ticky tack as well IMHO.  If you're not calling the illegal block, you should let those go as well...

10 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

No sour grapes here. Just a question for neutral fans. Poor clock management and a decimated roster are more to blame than one play. But did Justin Hunter illegally block/pick our nickel corner on their game winning touchdown? It seems clear Hunter engaged McCrae before the ball as thrown. Should this have been called? Did the refs miss this? What is the official ruling?

hunterblock.jpg.jpg

I have 100% thought that Hunter created the contact but honestly your second image makes it look like the Bengals DB initiates the contact.

7 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Generally prefer those penalties go uncalled, so I'm not really upset with the non-call. 

That said, and maybe it's just because I'm a Bengals fan I feel this way, but it ALWAYS appears that in these Steeler-Bengal matchups the "close/ticky tack" calls get called on the Bengals but not on the Steelers.  I'm fine with not calling the illegal block, but the Cordy Glenn hold, and Dre Kirkpatrick DPI on the last drive, were both ticky tack as well IMHO.  If you're not calling the illegal block, you should let those go as well...

It was illegal contact on Kirkpatrick and it was the right call. You can't sit here and claim the Steelers got the favorable calls when the Steelers likely lose 4 valuable points on a questionable non-TD call on Connor's run and the Bengals got away with a lot of illegal men down field and Pitt got flagged for one in the crucial minutes of their second to last drive for a guy being 2 yards downfield while Cincinnati had guys 10 yards downfield with no flag multiple times.

Cry me a river. What about the multiple helmet to helmets by cincincatti that went uncalled? The James Conner TD that the refs called down on the 1. The headbutt by Kirkpatrick in the first qtr, Burficts kick to Conners head.

This officiating crew was terrible overall. The team that SHOULD have won, did win.

The icing on the Cake is that more than likely Burfict is gonna be sitting out the entirety of next season.

What truly lost the Bengals this game is the fact they got exactly 0 1st downs in the 3rd qtr and ran the ball with Mixon just twice from the end of the 2nd qtr until the start of the 4th. 

We have also seen PLENTY of examples of Pittsburgh getting the raw deal on penalty calls, like the TJ Watt roughing the passer for example. 

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What truly lost the Bengals this game is the fact they got exactly 0 1st downs in the 3rd qtr and ran the ball with Mixon just twice from the end of the 2nd qtr until the start of the 4th. 

We have also seen PLENTY of examples of Pittsburgh getting the raw deal on penalty calls, like the TJ Watt roughing the passer for example. 

No the only thing that lost the game was the defense on the final drive. We were winning. 

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

It was illegal contact on Kirkpatrick and it was the right call. You can't sit here and claim the Steelers got the favorable calls when the Steelers likely lose 4 valuable points on a questionable non-TD call on Connor's run and the Bengals got away with a lot of illegal men down field and Pitt got flagged for one in the crucial minutes of their second to last drive for a guy being 2 yards downfield while Cincinnati had guys 10 yards downfield with no flag multiple times.

As I said more likely than not it's just a perception thing.  Just like when you guys get hosed next time on a call against the Patriots.  I'm sure Steeler fans will be rational then and not think the refs screwed them...

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

As I said more likely than not it's just a perception thing.  Just like when you guys get hosed next time on a call against the Patriots.  I'm sure Steeler fans will be rational then and not think the refs screwed them...

I dont disagree with the logic youre applying here. Steelers were screwed vs the Patriots last season. 

Archived