Pittsburgh game-winning penalty uncalled?

SmittyBacall

Was it a penalty?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Was it a penalty?

On 10/16/2018 at 9:50 AM, INbengalfan said:

So the guy who charged the other team's bench throwing punches, days after admitting he was head-hunting Mixon and others due to the fact he "thought" Shazier had been hit illegally by Bengals players when he hurt himself, and previously had taken to Twitter to announce that he would shoot Burfict immediately if he saw him off the field, deserves a fine, but Burfict should get a year?  That's a hoit take.  Just because the league offices have turned a blind eye to your team's antics doesn't mean everyone should

You keep claiming this yet, not surprisingly, have yet to post any evidence...

Right now your posts are just pathetic Bengals fan "whoa is me" crap. You're really embarassing your fanbase.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:39 PM, INbengalfan said:

Burfict-1-Williams-11-03-15.png

There's the tweet from a couple years back.

Williams crossing to our sideline happened after Sunday's game.  I saw it.  Many others did, but I doubt it was captured on video.  Happened while players were either shaking hands, having a post game prayer or heading to tunnels.  You had to be there to see it.

here is the link to a quote by one of them where Dupree and Williams say they were hitting hard looking for retribution for the injury Shazier suffered, as neither was intelligent enough to acknowledge  that he inadvertently injured himself.  Mixon suffered a concussion a few plays later:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/10/11/steelers-initially-thought-bengals-injured-ryan-shazier-per-report/1599503002/

Jesus Christ, you can't be serious. Where, EXPLICITLY, did they say they wanted to injure other people in that article?

Williams has done his fair share of stupid stuff that should be punished - like the tweet - but for you to reach here and pretend what Burfict did this past Sunday is okay is about hte biggest set of homer glasses I've eve seen. Please consult the playbook from TheVillian and TheJ on how to approach this situation without bias.

Keep your defenders off of the line of scrimmage and they don't get that free 1-yard or less pick play on you.

BTW, that hit on Mixon was perfect and would never be called a penalty in any year in the NFL.

• The defender may have been angry when he hit the running back?
    • An angry defender in the NFL? Who ever heard of such a thing. I thought they were all looking after each other's best interests.
  • If Mixon can't take hits like that then he should retire.
    • Maybe he could find a career that requires him to punch women in the face. He is really good at that.

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Right now your posts are just pathetic Bengals fan "whoa is me" crap. You're really embarassing your fanbase.

From Reddit's Will Graves:  Talking to Bud Dupree today about returning to Cincy after the weirdness/tragicness/awfulness of last visit, he shared this: said he and Vince W weren't sure how Shazier was hurt. Thought he was hit blindside. Spent rest of 1H trying to exact revenge. Didn't see replay till half.

His words.  Not mine, although I attributed them to Williams instead of Dupree.

But hey, I'm just whining and making things up.  WTFE

And for the record, I never had a problem last year with the hit.  But with these comments, it casts a slightly different light, which is why so many are bringing it up, and not just "whiny" Cincy fans.

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

From Reddit's Will Graves:  Talking to Bud Dupree today about returning to Cincy after the weirdness/tragicness/awfulness of last visit, he shared this: said he and Vince W weren't sure how Shazier was hurt. Thought he was hit blindside. Spent rest of 1H trying to exact revenge. Didn't see replay till half.

His words.  Not mine, although I attributed them to Williams instead of Dupree.

But hey, I'm just whining and making things up.  WTFE

And for the record, I never had a problem last year with the hit.  But with these comments, it casts a slightly different light, which is why so many are bringing it up, and not just "whiny" Cincy fans.

Again, tell me where it explicitly says he went out to hurt other players. Where it specifically says that. Because your Bengals goggles are interpreting it the way you want to when the phrase "exact revenge" could literally be taken any way including revenge through a win, revenge through hitting hard, etc. At no point did he say he was going out there to injure people. But hey, keep doing you. It's amazing how you can infer that from that but can't see the obvious unneccesaryness of Burfict's hits. It's almost as if you're biased... 

10 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Again, tell me where it explicitly says he went out to hurt other players. Where it specifically says that. Because your Bengals goggles are interpreting it the way you want to when the phrase "exact revenge" could literally be taken any way including revenge through a win, revenge through hitting hard, etc. At no point did he say he was going out there to injure people. But hey, keep doing you. It's amazing how you can infer that from that but can't see the obvious unneccesaryness of Burfict's hits. It's almost as if you're biased... 

I think it's a safe inference that they wanted injury revenge. But yeah.....doesn't bother me. Savages exist in the NFL and it should be that way.

10 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Oh god, the irony.

14 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Our definitions of "bang-bang" must be worlds different. Bates has enough time to not only wrap up but prevent Brorwn's movement from going forward. Burfict makes no effort to wrap up against a receiver who cannot defend himself. If you think the two tackles are remotely similar or "bang bang" then there's no helping you. Burfict is a scum bag.

And Burfict is supposed to dissect this in milliseconds? 

Has there been a fine dished out yet for illegal actions? How long does it take for the NFL to review these things. 

15 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

You're better than that. Mixon is (a) a runner and (b) able to protect himself as he's also slightly lowering his shoulder for the contact. AB is literally the very definition of a defensless receiver, wrapped up by two defenders well before Burfict takes a shot at his head.

You need to reconsider the concept of time you're citing. Brown was a target, again, who was jarred back literal milliseconds before Burficts contact. To act as though the headshot was premeditated is speculation based on his reputation. Hypothetically - without Bates coming in - Burfict could have legally went shoulder to shoulder with AB and we wouldn't be talking about this. Burfict was trying to make contact with AB and because the target shifted a good yard he stuck his elbow out to ensure that contact. Should he have not stuck out his elbow? Maybe? But my guess is he was trying to jar the ball loose. I'm just not buying into the narrative Burfict was trying to knock out AB there.

14 hours ago, SkippyX said:

If Mixon can't take hits like that then he should retire.

If Mixon can't take helmet to helmet contact resulting in concussion every play he should retire? Glad we agree on something.

14 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Maybe he could find a career that requires him to punch women in the face. He is really good at that.

Unnecessary. Stick to football. 

17 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Want to see what's really embarrassing? Your constant belly-aching and overly dramatic posts.

It's just a game. Deep breaths.

Ever consider counselling?

13 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

What's equally amazing is that you can't see how "exacting Revenge" couldn't be going out his way to injure someone..

And where did I excuse Burfict's actions exactly?  He makes his own bed.  I'm not excusing it. I don't like it.  But to be frank, he's our version of Harrison, Porter, Mitchell, etc.  So after years of watching cheap shots against my team, I find it hilarious at how quickly Steeler players cry foul about the slightest things.

17 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Please consult the playbook from TheVillian and TheJ on how to approach this situation without bias

It's called "staying out of it" haha.

But i appreciate the comment.

Also, i think this thread may have run its course, and maybe it's time to end it before it turns ugly and warnings are thrown out?  @ET80 you have that power bro?

Archived