Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

At the least, he would go the Cousins route if we don't offer a contract extension.  We won't let him just hit FA.  I don't see any way that is an option.  
We aren't going to trade for any QB that is worth anything worth while.
Are we going to "waste" an 1st round pick on a QB to be behind Marcus for "insurance" or to "push him." In my mind it would be an extreme waste of the draft capital everyone wants to protect. And would there be a QB worth picking where we are likely to be picking. (20ish).

Marcus is our QB. We need to build the team as best as we can to protect ourselves from his down moments and to match him when he is at his best. He is the QB. The QB play in this league is so...so...so inconsistent and hard to find, you don't get rid of someone that plays like he has tonight and in the past. 
Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield all flashed but have also all crashed. Do we really want to go through those lumps right when our roster might...might grow into a playoff roster. 

So I agree, you can't replace him.

After watching more of this years QBs, I don't think there is a QB we could draft that could even replace him 3 years from now, even if we had the first overall pick. Herbert looked amazing one game, and then looked bad the next. That's what we already have.

QBs are just so hard to find. Goff and Wentz are the exception, not the rule. I even got caught up in thinking "we need to go find the next Wentz!" Well the problem is he's just not out there to be found and in most years he's not going to be. 

13 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

After watching more of this years QBs, I don't think there is a QB we could draft that could even replace him 3 years from now, even if we had the first overall pick. Herbert looked amazing one game, and then looked bad the next. That's what we already have.

QBs are just so hard to find. Goff and Wentz are the exception, not the rule. I even got caught up in thinking "we need to go find the next Wentz!" Well the problem is he's just not out there to be found and in most years he's not going to be. 

And honestly, we've seen what Goff looks like in the wrong system. So it's not just about drafting the right QB but also matching him with the right system. As good as they both are. I'm not convinced Goff would be just as great in a different system. He is a good QB, but he is married with the PERFECT system for his skill set. 
RG3, Dak, Winston, Watson and even Mariota are examples of not crowning a QB as the next great too early. Until they do it 3 years or more in a row, they are one season away from being the next Stafford, Dalton, or Flacco. Rather than the next Rodgers, Brady and Brees. 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

And honestly, we've seen what Goff looks like in the wrong system. So it's not just about drafting the right QB but also matching him with the right system. As good as they both are. I'm not convinced Goff would be just as great in a different system. He is a good QB, but he is married with the PERFECT system for his skill set. 
RG3, Dak, Winston, Watson and even Mariota are examples of not crowning a QB as the next great too early. Until they do it 3 years or more in a row, they are one season away from being the next Stafford, Dalton, or Flacco. Rather than the next Rodgers, Brady and Brees. 

I think Goff is definitely helped by the Rams system, but I've seen him make some really good throws too. Wentz, I think would excel anywhere with anyone. He's just good.

There's nobody we are going to get that's going to be better, and his ceiling is still high. The interior line needs to be fixed, and hopefully in LaFleur's offense that will allow Mariota to flourish and Davis and Co to do work.

Frankly Mariota has to be the guy we stick it out with, even if it's by franchise tag. Otherwise we are facing another rebuild.

• Like 1

I’ve been extremely critical of Mariota , especially the last few weeks .. but i will admit he proved me wrong on Monday night.. the guy we saw on Monday is the guy we fell in love with in 2016, and if that’s the guy we continue to get then sign me up for long term...

However im Not ready to jump on the bandwagon just yet . 5 weeks ago we were all giddy over Mariotas play vs the eagles , then 4 weeks later a lot of the fan base wanted him gone including myself .. Mariota showed on Monday why he can be a franchise qb but let’s see some consistentcy before we crown him king .. What happens if he has a 150 yard performance on Sunday with 0 tds and 2 picks and we get crushed?  Do we just say “it’s the pats “, or “did you not see him on Monday light it up?” Type comments .. Mariota beat a bad Dallas team, I’m not taking anything away from him but that team we saw Monday is not a good football team at all , hence there 3-5 record . I said weeks ago Mariota plays like a man on fire one week making this fan base believe then struggles for the next 4 but we forgive him because he had an awesome game .. 

Edited by FutureIsWhite

agreed that Mariota needs to show consistency. our confidence in his ebbs and flows with the inconsistency of our offense

but it's clear that -- as any QB needs -- our skill players need to continue improving for Marcus to play consistently well. Batson made a big third down catch. Jennings made a big third down catch. Jonnu got involved. We're asking a lot from guys like them, but we need them to answer the bell because it's going to keep ringing

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Mariota beat a bad Dallas team, I’m not taking anything away from him but that team we saw Monday is not a good football team at all , hence there 3-5 record

Their team as a whole might be bad (they're more average than bad imo) but he only has control over what he does against their defense. Dallas is currently ranked 3rd in points allowed, 2nd in yards allowed, 3rd in passing yards allowed, and 6th in redzone defense and he completely dominated it. I think you are taking a lot away from him by calling Dallas bad by just looking at their record instead of looking at how great of a unit he went up against and how well he played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Despite the plethora of drops, Ardel is still averaging a career high completion percentage of 67%.

I've stopped citing the drops argument weeks ago... because it really hasn't been an issue for a few weeks already (Buffalo game is probably the last game where drops were bad). 

Even then, I wasn't arguing that eventhough the drop % was higher than most teams... that it was enough to affect his completion % (I was making this argument big time in the General Football forum). 

But the drops were coming up in big moments... either killing a drive approaching the redzone on 3rd down (Jonnu, Matthews, etc)... or a potential TD (Williams, Jennings, Taylor x 100).  It wasn't just drops... it was the moment, the magnitude of those drops. (even the Taylor and Davis drops in London were big/key drops).

The Stocker drop from Monday... while still a drop... was on 1st down.  It leaves us with 2nd and long, but at least with a chance to convert.  It didn't kill the drive.. it didn't wipe away a should be TD.  With all this stat overkill, I wish there was a stat that separates critical drops like those I mentioned in the previous paragraph as such... a drop that directly killed a drive or wiped away a would be TD. 

But whatever... it seems we're past that... and we're now seeing the offense hopefully come around.  Including the 2nd half of the Chargers game, we've now scored 6 offensive TDs in the last 6 quarters.  We had scored 5 total offensive TDs in the previous 6.5 games.  I thought it'd take us about a month to come together... so maybe it took closer to 2 months... but it looks like we may finally be putting it together. 

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I've stopped citing the drops argument weeks ago... because it really hasn't been an issue for a few weeks already (Buffalo game is probably the last game where drops were bad). 

Even then, I wasn't arguing that eventhough the drop % was higher than most teams... that it was enough to affect his completion % (I was making this argument big time in the General Football forum). 

But the drops were coming up in big moments... either killing a drive approaching the redzone on 3rd down (Jonnu, Matthews, etc)... or a potential TD (Williams, Jennings, Taylor x 100).  It wasn't just drops... it was the moment, the magnitude of those drops. (even the Taylor and Davis drops in London were big/key drops).

The Stocker drop from Monday... while still a drop... was on 1st down.  It leaves us with 2nd and long, but at least with a chance to convert.  It didn't kill the drive.. it didn't wipe away a should be TD.  With all this stat overkill, I wish there was a stat that separates critical drops like those I mentioned in the previous paragraph as such... a drop that directly killed a drive or wiped away a would be TD. 

But whatever... it seems we're past that... and we're now seeing the offense hopefully come around.  Including the 2nd half of the Chargers game, we've now scored 6 offensive TDs in the last 6 quarters.  We had scored 5 total offensive TDs in the previous 6.5 games.  I thought it'd take us about a month to come together... so maybe it took closer to 2 months... but it looks like we may finally be putting it together. 

Not even arguing it. Just pointing out that Ardel's been pretty deadly accurate this year.

The third down drops must not be too much higher than everyone else.... Lol.

Drops were an issue in the Bills game and the Eagles game, situationally or not, and have basically been average the rest of the year. Those two games were also the ones where we saw most of them on third downs. One game he worked through the drops and the other he couldn't overcome them and the fumbles.

He had one third down drop in the Chargers game. That drop also came in the second half when we were scoring points. Zero drops in the first half and we struggled to score anything. 

Drops are hurting him (and us as a team) no doubt, but they're not holding him back. Outside of the two games I mentioned, they haven't hurt him more than any other QB.

The running game is my biggest problem with his supporting cast.