Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

I still think complete judgement has to wait until we get some legit talent around him...if that ever happens.

If you look around the league at the top offenses the common denomimator is overall talent. There are only 2-4 QB's that are legitimatly GREAT regardless of who they have around them, and even the biggest Mariota supportes can't say he is even approaching that level. The QB's that are producing right now generally have elite level tallent surrounding them.

When you watch the top offenses...KC, NO, LA Rams, Pitt, GB, ATL, NE, or even HOU the past few weeks...to me it looks easy for them, guys have space, broken coverages, and running lanes. When I watch us everything looks difficult, tons of 3rd and longs, tons of runs for no gain or a loss, guys getting hit the second the ball arrives. Teams don't have to really double anyone and our biggest threat is Lewis out of the backfield on screen passes. Look no further than Alex Smith, last year at the half way point of the season he was in the MVP conversation...with Hill, Hunt, and Kelce...balling out of control. This season with the Redskins...pedestrian at best, fans here are calling for Colt McCoy, his weapons compare very similarly to ours!!!

Those top offenses have either an Elite QB, Elite weapons, or a couple have both.

In the end I am not sure how we attract great weapons, we can't seem to draft them, so our QB will be up and down. Us and about 20 other teams are in the same boat...but I feel better about our QB than I do 95% of theirs!!!

Edited by Dr.Doom52

3 hours ago, dtait93 said:

It is indeed time....

To sign him long term.

I’m really not trying to be a downer but because of one good game against a bad team we should sign him long term to a 100 plus million dollar deal? Those stats Wyatt posted look pretty good , but let’s pump the breaks before we pay the guy all that money.

His play has been average or below average  since the beginning of 2017 with glimpses of stardom , the stardom we saw in 2016. However what I really want to laminate here is the guy has never played a full season in his career . That’s not a good stat going on year 5 . I’m not sure how  everyone that’s pro Mariota and wants to pay the guy doesn’t take in account that flaw. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

I’m really not trying to be a downer but because of one good game against a bad team we should sign him long term to a 100 plus million dollar deal? Those stats Wyatt posted look pretty good , but let’s pump the breaks before we pay the guy all that money.

His play has been average or below average  since the beginning of 2017 with glimpses of stardom , the stardom we saw in 2016. However what I really want to laminate here is the guy has never played a full season in his career . That’s not a good stat going on year 5 . I’m not sure how  everyone that’s pro Mariota and wants to pay the guy doesn’t take in account that flaw. 

1) Dallas' defense is elite. He dominated it.

2) As below average as his 2017 season was, his 2017 postseason was really good - 93.9 passer rating, 4 TD's, 1 INT.

3) As below average statistically his season as a whole has been, in his past 5 games he's been the best QB on 3rd down in the league, has a 90.76 passer rating, has a 68.2% completion percentage (67% for the year - his career high), and 7 total TD's with 4 of them coming in the past 2 games which is showing the trend that they're going to be coming much more frequently than at the beginning of the year.

4) Sure he may have not played a full season yet, but in 2 of those seasons he played in 15 games and barring anything else this year he'll have played in another 15 games. Is missing 1 game a year really that big of a flaw? Broken legs and ulnar nerves are freak injuries, I'm not worried about it. As mentioned, Roethlisberger rarely plays a full 16 games a year, and you know who else didn't? Steve McNair. I didn't see anyone upset with him as our franchise guy. In fact, it's widely excepted that he's the greatest Titan of all time.

19 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Dallas defense elite??

giphy.gif

😁

That's like calling our defense elite since we technically ranked higher than them. 

They are a good defense. Not elite. But yes. He did dominate a really good defense. 

Uhhhhhh especially going in to that game and in comparison to the rest of the league, they 100% classified as elite in nearly every statistical category.

And yes, so far our defense has been elite.

Edited by dtait93

6 hours ago, dtait93 said:

1) Dallas' defense is elite. He dominated it.

2) As below average as his 2017 season was, his 2017 postseason was really good - 93.9 passer rating, 4 TD's, 1 INT.

3) As below average statistically his season as a whole has been, in his past 5 games he's been the best QB on 3rd down in the league, has a 90.76 passer rating, has a 68.2% completion percentage (67% for the year - his career high), and 7 total TD's with 4 of them coming in the past 2 games which is showing the trend that they're going to be coming much more frequently than at the beginning of the year.

4) Sure he may have not played a full season yet, but in 2 of those seasons he played in 15 games and barring anything else this year he'll have played in another 15 games. Is missing 1 game a year really that big of a flaw? Broken legs and ulnar nerves are freak injuries, I'm not worried about it. As mentioned, Roethlisberger rarely plays a full 16 games a year, and you know who else didn't? Steve McNair. I didn't see anyone upset with him as our franchise guy. In fact, it's widely excepted that he's the greatest Titan of all time.

1. Dallas really hasn’t played any great offenses this year though. Giants , Titans , Jags , Lions etc. Texans , Seahawks and panthers are pretty good but none of them are world beaters .. again I’m not trying to take away Mariotas performance but to call this team an elite defense is a little far fetched compared to some of the other defenses we’ve seen. I’m more scared of the Bills d then Boys. 

2. Mariota looked great against the chiefs but against the Pats he looked like the Marcus we saw in the 2017 regular season.. bortles looked like a franchise qb against the pats and look at him now ..

3. I’m not going to rate our qb on his last 5 games 3rd down completion percentage . I will say Mariota looked better the last two weeks , especially last week but I still need to see more consistency.. 

4. You can’t compare Mariota to McNair , it’s not fair for our GOAT.  That being said I do think his injury history is a major concern , when your franchise qb misses games every year it has the chance to put us in a hole . And yea Big Ben hasn’t played a bunch of 16 game seasons but you can’t compare the 2 . 1 has won 2 Super Bowls for there franchise the other hasn’t even got a ten win season.   

All this being said you make good points and as harsh as I am , after last week I can’t help but get excited .. I just know the second I do we will end up getting crushed by the pats and I’ll be back to square one. 

ACowboys defense isn’t elite and neither is the Titans. Our defense has benefitted from playing some really bad offenses. We’ll see how “elite” it is come Sunday. They’re a good defense but when you can’t get a consistent pass rush and have a CB burned every game for a TD, it’s not elite. Numbers may look great now but I wonder how they will look after we face a couple good offenses. The two best QBs we’ve faced this year was Rivers and Wentz. Aside from them, Tannehill(lol), Watson, a RB playing QB(Allen), Dak(lol), Flacco(who tore us to shreds). Had a chance to win the Bills game but we let McCoy run it right down our throats. That’s not elite defense.  Having said that, the defense has played extremely well and certainly isn’t the the reason we have 4 losses(maybe 1).  The amount of times they’ve been put in short fields and the amount of time they spend on the field due to the offense is ridiculous. They’re good enough to win with and that’s what matters.

53 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yet here they are allowing the lowest ppg in the league.

Our defense is legit there’s no denying that but we’re nothing compared to Jags defense last year, Denver’s d from there super bowl year, or Seahawks lob etc.. We’ve also played some cupcake offenses in Bills, Miami, Jags, And cowboys so I don’t want to overate then right now. This week is a big test, if we hold Brady and the gang to 23 or less points then this d is absolutely legit .. but if we get smoked like Pats have done to us for the last decade then we’re going to have to pump the brakes a bit on this d. 

14 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Our defense is legit there’s no denying that but we’re nothing compared to Jags defense last year, Denver’s d from there super bowl year, or Seahawks lob etc.. We’ve also played some cupcake offenses in Bills, Miami, Jags, And cowboys so I don’t want to overate then right now. This week is a big test, if we hold Brady and the gang to 23 or less points then this d is absolutely legit .. but if we get smoked like Pats have done to us for the last decade then we’re going to have to pump the brakes a bit on this d. 

I’m not comparing them to the all time defenses.

I’m comparing them to the rest of the league. Every other defense from every other year is irrelevant.