Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

I was going to post something along the lines of “im now back off the Mariota wagon” but at this point I just have no idea what to think.. it’s so disheartening to see him play two games like the ones he did prior to today and then Come out and not only lay an egg but to also get hurt again.. 

The debate for this guy is 100 percent still up in the air no matter how we want to slice it.. 

My assessment of Marcus. 

Marcus can be confused and tricked. He guesses at times and doesn't have the arm strength to overcome those mistakes.

He guesses at times and tries to "arm it" into windows that he can't make. He loses control of the ball at times on throws because of bad footwork. 
At times he is an athlete playing QB and sometimes he he is QB with athletic skills. Two different things.
He needs rhythm to be successful. Clean pockets work best for him (like most QBs). 

He is mentally tough and doesn't get down on himself, even when maybe he should.
He can pinpoint accurate with the ball. He can make throws that very few can. 
At times his numbers don't display how good or how bad a game he may have played. 
I think he is smart person and can be a smart QB. I think his personality at times give out the sense that he is a Peyton Manning like savant of football. It's hard to imagine him not getting something or being able to pick up something. But the truth is, he can be slow to learn a system, but understand the number of OCs that he has had. He only had 2 years in one system and it was Robiskie's, which wasn't a system that could sustain NFL level sucess. 

He is an NFL starting QB. He isn't for just any team though. He would be the starter right now (MY OPINION) for: Denver, Jacksonville, NY Jets, NY Giants, Cleveland, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Miami, and Oakland. 
It could be debated with some saying yes and other saying no in: Cincy, Baltimore, Dallas, Washington, Chicago

14 out of 32 NFL teams that would take him straight up or highly think about taking him. 

Then there are other teams that would keep their starting QB over Marcus but don't have a starter that is considered elite (comfortable): Carolina, Atlanta, Vikings, Houston, Detroit, San Fran.
Then the teams that have a QB they would never give up, under any situation (NO QUESTION): Seattle, Chargers, Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, Philadelphia, Indy, Pitt.

So about 8 teams, give or take a few debatable players due to age, that would not come close to entertaining the thought of a new QB. 

The rest are either comfortable, not sold or looking. 

I bring that up to say QB play is hard to find.  Despite the feelings on Marcus by people here and other fans....I would put our franchise in the "comfortable" spot. I think that comfort could change to discomfort or no question depending on the situation and place of the team. 

It take so much effort and resources to get or find a QB. So when you have a guy that you are comfortable with and you like, I think as a franchise you put that worry to the side and look to improve the team as best you can.

I don't care what people say, to me, Cam Newton isn't a franchise QB. He is the QB for that franchise and hasn't improved much in his career. He has gone up and downs depending on the defense, coaches and plays he makes with his arm/feet talent. He isn't Brees'n these teams with QB play. 

Marcus has shown some improvement in the area of QB play. He has a real injury concern. He tends to miss a throw or two a game. He can miss guys in the progression also a couple times a game. 
He also is fearless. He is a great leader. He makes elite throws in games. He doesn't get rattled when the game is on the line. His ability to run is priceless. He completes his passes with the best in the league. He has shown to make passes in traffic. He has shown all the qualities you want in a NFL QB consistently.

Even with showing those qualities, he hasn't shown the ability to consistently show those qualities in games at a high enough rate to keep away the critics.  He doesn't elevate those around him. His play can be dependent on those around him. 
At this point he is a higher level complimentary player. He needs things around him to be successful and he will thrive with that success. If things aren't going well around him, he will not be able to carry things on his own. 
He is what I said earlier, a player a team can be comfortable with...and the question would be what is that worth. With QB play being how it is, you don't get rid of a QB you are comfortable with.

Now, if we want to pull a KC and we feel that we have exhausted all our avenues with Marcus and then draft his replacement in the 1st, then trade Marcus so be it. I can't say fully that we have fully exhausted all avenues with making this team and Marcus the best it could be. 

7I am going to guess Marcus gets (whenever he gets it) a contract like a 4 year $80 Million deal. That would put him at about $20 mil per year. Put him in there with the likes of Newton, Tannehill, Rivers and Eli Manning in money per year. More than Dalton, Bortles but not by much. It works out for us, if we build it in a way where he gets his guaranteed money in the first 2 years and good for him, if he plays well, he can hit FA again all before he turns 30. 

• Like 1

NY Jets, Cleveland, Arizona, Miami, Cincy, Chicago.

Neither of those teams would  trade you stright up for Mariota. I don't know if that's what you meamt to say. Dalton has been better than Mariota and Tannehill basically is Mariota. The others have young QBs who have shown promise and they wouldn't trade for a bottom half starting QB. I would also bet that Dallas would keep Prescott over Mariota as they're about the same, although I like Mariota a little more.

The Mayfield and Tribusky trade offer would probably get us laughed at lol. They've played fairly well lately.

I think our best bet os the Alex Smith route. Give him a contract and hope he plays well enough to win a few games but keep your eye out for a trade up opportunity for a potential franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

NY Jets, Cleveland, Arizona, Miami, Cincy, Chicago.

Neither of those teams would  trade you stright up for Mariota. I don't know if that's what you meamt to say. Dalton has been better than Mariota and Tannehill basically is Mariota. The others have young QBs who have shown promise and they wouldn't trade for a bottom half starting QB. I would also bet that Dallas would keep Prescott over Mariota as they're about the same, although I like Mariota a little more.

The Mayfield and Tribusky trade offer would probably get us laughed at lol. They've played fairly well lately.

I think our best bet os the Alex Smith route. Give him a contract and hope he plays well enough to win a few games but keep your eye out for a trade up opportunity for a potential franchise QB.

Again. My opinion.

I said who he could start for over who is there. Didn't say trade. 

My opinion. 

There is value in potential over production. Which is why draft picks are what they are. So I can see why you think they would keep the potential in the young QB over the production. 

Your view of Marcus is well known. You would probably take a lot of people over him. 

I wouldn't. Outside of those I listed as top of the top. I think the other QBs would give us similar if not slightly worst or slightly better than Marcus. But in the end, we'd be at the same place we are now, 9-7, 8-8 ish. 

Yeah, I'd take a shot with Mayfield or Darnold over him right now. Rosen I really liked in college and Trubisky is coming on strong. I'd probably think about them. I'd rather take a shot at a guy who has the potential to be really good, and fail, than be satisfied with the 18th or 20th best QB long term. Trubisky has 101 rating this year.

I'd take Dalton, both are average, but he's more consistent. I think he's a little better than Mariota.

Carr and Tannehill are a wash to me. Tannehill probably loses because he's been even more injury prone.

I don't feel comfortable with Mariota. Not a single game do I go into feeling like I know what I'm going to get out of him. Cannot trust him.

I 100 percent get the love for Marcus , when he plays well he really plays well.. but like others have said his biggest problem is consistency ..

you really don’t know what your going to get week in and week out which is not a good recipe for a wining organaziton .. not to mention you don’t know when he’s gonna get hurt , you know it’s going to happen you just don’t know when .

Man gets injured more then any qb I’ve ever scene .. 

I’m not saying none of this is Marcus’s fault because he definitely gets a piece of the blame pie but things around Marcus ran helping his cause right now and that includes coaching.

Im not going to chart it but if someone wants to check feel free but how many times did the Titans run on 1st down when Marcus was in the game? It felt like all of them and the only time that I can remember off the top of my head that we threw was an attempted screen to Henry that we got an OPI on Sharpe. Then there was a quick screen to Batson on 1st and 20 but other than those really can’t think of many other passes on 1st down so the predictability play calling isn’t helping Marcus.

Conklin Kline and Jones are getting Marcus killed. Normally when you have a young franchise QB you block your @ss off for him. Normally when your QB is battling injuries you block your @ss off for him. 

The rest is on Marcus the fact that he’s like a pitcher or a basketball shooter where he’s on a couple games and off others. The fact that he doesn’t demand to be back in the games or more adamant play calls and just not playing well when we really need him to play well. 

8 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

I 100 percent get the love for Marcus , when he plays well he really plays well.. but like others have said his biggest problem is consistency ..

you really don’t know what your going to get week in and week out which is not a good recipe for a wining organaziton .. not to mention you don’t know when he’s gonna get hurt , you know it’s going to happen you just don’t know when .

Man gets injured more then any qb I’ve ever scene .. 

Just for informational purposes. 

Out of his 10 starting seasons. Rodgers has only played a full one 5 times. 

Out of his 14 seasons not counting this one Big Ben has only played a full season 3 times. 

Forum darling Teddy Bridgewater has only played in one complete season out his brief career (4 years). 

In his first 7 years with Niners, Alex Smith only played 2 whole seasons. 

Alex Smith really is the comparison to me. They gave him 7 years before trading him. 

I think they will give Marcus at least that. But unlike the Niners, you better have a sure fire replacement before letting him go. 

Just hoping and wishing in the draft will be the quickest way back to 2 win seasons. 

I will say this, Vrabel and Robinson have no ties to Mariota. Robinson has picked his coach and he may feel the last piece missing is handpicking his own QB. It’s been 4 years now and I’m not so sure Robinson will feel comfortable giving some ridiculous contract to a QB as inconsistent and injury prone as Mariota. I think Mariota gets his final season but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised to see a QB drafted higher than most expect. 

• Like 1

Maybe Titans' fans can enlighten me.  Looking at the numbers, the Titans are average at best offensively.  They're 28th in terms of PPG, 30th in YPG, 28th in first downs, and 10th in 3rd down conversion rate, yet LaFleur is considered to be one of the highest viewed potential HC.  Why is that?

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe Titans' fans can enlighten me.  Looking at the numbers, the Titans are average at best offensively.  They're 28th in terms of PPG, 30th in YPG, 28th in first downs, and 10th in 3rd down conversion rate, yet LaFleur is considered to be one of the highest viewed potential HC.  Why is that?

i have no idea. lafleur has been good in spots and his scheme is solid but he’s extremely inconsistent from game to game as a playcaller and has shown a maddening inability to adapt. having said that, it’s not as though our offensive personnel is terribly good, and they’ve certainly let him down throughout the season. but i can’t imagine that he’s a better HC candidate than a guy like defilippo and i would think he needs another year or two of seasoning.

• Like 1

Just now, -Hope- said:

i have no idea. lafleur has been good in spots and his scheme is solid but he’s extremely inconsistent from game to game as a playcaller and has shown a maddening inability to adapt. having said that, it’s not as though our offensive personnel is terribly good, and they’ve certainly let him down throughout the season. but i can’t imagine that he’s a better HC candidate than a guy like defilippo and i would think he needs another year or two of seasoning.

I didn't know if it was a personnel issue or not, because it's not like the Titans are getting consistent QB play.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I didn't know if it was a personnel issue or not, because it's not like the Titans are getting consistent QB play.

yeah, i mean it certainly is that to some degree, but it’s pretty obvious he’s still getting his legs under him as a playcaller. there are long stretches where our offense seems to lack any kind of rhythm, and a lot of it can be chalked up to things like constantly running the ball on first down and not doing enough to adapt when our OL is struggling to pass protect.