Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

29 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

A lot of the sacks yesterday were also on Marcus. Boy was shell shocked to a point where he wouldn’t even take off. On one play Dion was open in the flat and he takes a sack. Missed deep ball to Taywan early in the game who had his man burned bad. Good QBs make that throw. We’ve made a lot of excuses for him but that has to stop. He’s just not any good especially right now. No way he deserves a 2nd contract(at that price) with how he’s played so far.  

Man , couldn’t agree more..  I get he doesn’t have playmakers, he has a new offense he has to learn for the 3rd time in his career,  and his interior line is playing like garbage . But That being said he hasn’t progressed one bit , not even a smidge. In fact he’s a shell of the guy we saw in 2016. Funny part about this thoigh is I’m not even mad about yesterday’s game so I’m really not overreacting , I’m just saying what the other 31 fan bases say about Marcus . 

Edited by FutureIsWhite
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Okay but how many Andrew Luck type's are out there that make everyone around them better? I count 6.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

Andrew Luck

Your just not gonna find that on the regular. All 6 of those guys are Hall of Famers or borderline Hall of Famers.

Phillip Rivers

Matt Ryan

Matthew Stafford

Carson Wentz

Cam Newton

These guys are not Tom Brady caliber, but all are performing every single week regardless of how well their teammates are performing. You could probably name about another 10 who are outperforming Mariota this year.

It's time for us to stop being homers. Outside of an 8 game stretch from week 5 to week 12 in his second year, you can't even point to a 4 game stretch in Mariota's career that suggests he is a franchise QB. One good game out of four isn't going to cut it. He's had a lot more down than up, and you can't continue to blame his supporting cast.

Franchise QBs get it done. Do they win every game? No. Are they able to pass for more than 130 yards on a consistent basis.... Absolutely.

Edited by TitanSS

He's not a bust... not at all.  He's going to have a long career (if the nerve issue ever goes away)... and depending on the elements around him, he'll put up decent stats... similar to A. Smith.

He could still develop... he could still become Brees... but we're hoping against hope that happens.  He hasn't shown progression for us to reasonably expect he's going to become much better.

He's better than Bortles... but maybe not by as much as we thought.  We have to keep him on the option next year... its not cheap, but it's still not a lot of commitment.  Maybe he finally takes the step we've been waiting for... and he earns that next contract.  He has the tools... he has the intelligence... he just hasn't put it together... and we're probably at fault for how we've surrounded him with coaches and players. 

But if he doesn't... if this continues, we look for a reasonably priced journeyman and look to draft our next QB.  I cannot fathom making the mistake of paying someone Carr money who doesn't deserve it... look what it's done to the Raiders. 

As much as it pains me, that's the cross roads we're at.  But at least there's still that glimmer of hope that something clicks... something changes and as soon as this week, he sees something, recognizes/changes something... and he takes that next step we know he's capable of.

• Like 2

I just think that the team as a whole is broken right now. Yea Marcus missed the Taywan throw, but I'm not going to get hung up on that when he's been very solid on his deep ball all year. Yesterday was a terrible game where we weren't prepared offensively at all.

He has nobody to throw the ball to outside of Davis. That's just the reality of it. I get that great players overcome mediocre teams ala Andrew Luck, but even TY Hilton is way better than anything else we got. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

He's not a bust... not at all.  He's going to have a long career (if the nerve issue ever goes away)... and depending on the elements around him, he'll put up decent stats... similar to A. Smith.

He could still develop... he could still become Brees... but we're hoping against hope that happens.  He hasn't shown progression for us to reasonably expect he's going to become much better.

He's better than Bortles... but maybe not by as much as we thought.  We have to keep him on the option next year... its not cheap, but it's still not a lot of commitment.  Maybe he finally takes the step we've been waiting for... and he earns that next contract.  He has the tools... he has the intelligence... he just hasn't put it together... and we're probably at fault for how we've surrounded him with coaches and players. 

But if he doesn't... if this continues, we look for a reasonably priced journeyman and look to draft our next QB.  I cannot fathom making the mistake of paying someone Carr money who doesn't deserve it... look what it's done to the Raiders. 

As much as it pains me, that's the cross roads we're at.  But at least there's still that glimmer of hope that something clicks... something changes and as soon as this week, he sees something, recognizes/changes something... and he takes that next step we know he's capable of.

How is he not a bust? He was picked 2nd overall , has missed or left early from a 1/4 of games in his nfl career so far and the last year and a half he has thrown for more picks then touchdowns. Any other top 2 nfl pick would be considered a bust at this point if he wasn’t on our team. This is year 4 not year 2, and although all the mistakes aren’t his , he still doesn’t look good at all. Take away the eagles game and he’s scored 21 points the last 3 games .  Dak who isn’t good at all has more points scored against the jags then Marcus does against jags, bills and ravens . 

4 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Phillip Rivers

Matt Ryan

Matthew Stafford

Carson Wentz

Cam Newton

These guys are not Tom Brady caliber, but all are performing every single week regardless of how well their teammates are performing. You could probably name about another 10 who are outperforming Mariota this year.

It's time for us to stop being homers. Outside of an 8 game stretch from week 5 to week 12 in his second year, you can't even point to a 4 game stretch in Mariota's career that suggests he is a franchise QB. One good game out of four isn't going to cut it. He's had a lot more down than up, and you can't continue to blame his supporting cast.

Franchise QBs get it done. Do they win every game? No. Are they able to pass for more than 130 yards on a consistent basis.... Absolutely.

I disagree with that list. Especially Cam, but that's a debate for a different day. And I absolutely can blame his supporting cast. It is complete *** right now.

And are you really going to use a 2 game stretch to say he can't pass for 130+ consistently? Come on dude.

9 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Well said. I completely agree that Marcus is not a bust and I firmly believe he will be the QB of the Titans for the rest of his career. 

First of all, the Ravens defense is lights out — we knew that coming into the game so not shock there.

Second of all, we beat the Eagles just three weeks ago — so we obviously have potential to be a top team.

What I will say is that half of the sacks are on Marcus and half were out of his control. 

I am more concerned about play calling than I am the players that we have. Corey, Taywan, Tajae, Derrick, and Dion are talented players. And, Our O-Line is a top 8-10 line easily. I think the utilization (or lack of) of Jonnu Smith and Derrick Henry are reasons we are struggling so bad. The fact is, Derrick needs 20 touches to break a 75 yard run. He is getting like 5-10 touches a game and that is DEFINITELY not his style. Having this 50-50 split between Derrick and Dion is really not working out well for either of them. In my opinion, it needs to be 75-25 split DERRICK and Dion. I do like how Marcus is more in the shotgun now but I just hate how VANILLA our offensive-play calling is — IS TERRY ROBISKIE BACK AGAIN FOR HEAVENS SAKE?

Looking back at it. I counted about 5 maybe 6 sacks on Marcus. Where he either could have maybe thrown it away, checked it down, couldn't escape the pocket or looked to run to quick. 

But it's hard without seeing the All 22. Don't know if anyone was open. Was his reads covered?  Just felt real unlike him. He has never been afraid to go though his reads or stand in the pocket. 

It almost felt like he was supposed to run if his first read was gone. Local radio talked about his lack of running in Buffalo and why he didn't run more. Vrabel even talked about it. I think his response was something like wanting to see him run to extend the play and make off schedule throws. It makes me feel like that was a point of emphasis to extend the play. Obviously it didn't work. 

But with Marcus I'm in no man's land right now. I'm not against him. But I'm not 100 with him either. 

I'm still in his corner. But I don't think he is a franchise carrier. He needs help. He isn't a creator of talent. He won't take average WRs and make them better. However maybe he could if they caught the ball or got open. 

Just last week we were saying how the WRs were holding him back. 

I'd love to see him with Evans, Jackson and Howard. Even flacco looked better with his revamped weapons ( Crabtree, Sneed, John Brown). 

We need that type of investment in our wr corps. Davis, Taylor, 2 FA Wrs, Walker, FA TE, Smith.  That should be the off-season recipe. Taylor should be #3 behind a vet FA WR, pushed by another WR behind him. 

Marcus has shown enough to make me feel the team won't even think about replacing him. 

We have played some good defenses. You'd like to see him still play well it even respectable and statistically he wasn't the problem, passing wise. But the team around him failed worst than he played. And that's bad because Marcus didn't play well. 

Until he starts throwing 6 INTs a game he is going to be here and the blame is going to be placed more on those around him. 

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I disagree with that list. Especially Cam, but that's a debate for a different day. And I absolutely can blame his supporting cast. It is complete *** right now.

And are you really going to use a 2 game stretch to say he can't pass for 130+ consistently? Come on dude.

Blaming the supporting cast is just a poor excuse. Especially if you have to do it for four straight years. There isn't one other franchise QB in the NFL that can't score points or move the ball and they have to consistently blame everyone around him but him. If you need everyone around you to be an all star, then guess what? You're Andy Dalton. You're Alex Smith. Saying anything else at this point is just blind homerism.

He played in 15 games last year and had under 190 yards passing in 5 of them. 33%.

5 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Marcus couldn’t pass against Jags , bills , ravens and dolphins in first half .. heck even the eagles first half. 

So instead of us trying to find 2 games where he was bad, I’d like to find two games where he could pass .. and don’t include 2016 that’s years ago. I get the homerism in you but let’s face it the guy has put up more duds then good games the last year and a half. Actually here’s an even better stat , Marcus has missed or left early in more games since 2017 then 300 yard games passing lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, TitanSS said:

Blaming the supporting cast is just a poor excuse. Especially if you have to do it for four straight years. There isn't one other franchise QB in the NFL that can't score points or move the ball and they have to consistently blame everyone around him but him. If you need everyone around you to be an all star, then guess what? You're Andy Dalton. You're Alex Smith. Saying anything else at this point is just blind homerism.

He played in 15 games last year and had under 190 yards passing in 5 of them. 33%.

I personally think right now he is Dalton and Smith. 

8 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Marcus couldn’t pass against Jags , bills , ravens and dolphins in first half .. heck even the eagles first half. 

So instead of us trying to find 2 games where he was bad, I’d like to find two games where he could pass .. and don’t include 2016 that’s years ago. I get the homerism in you but let’s face it the guy has put up more duds then good games the last year and a half. Actually here’s an even better stat , Marcus has missed or left early in more games since 2017 then 300 yard games passing lol. 

As true as all that is...

If we want to see any success in the immediate future. We are going to have to do it with Marcus. 

Unless we get some kind of miracle QB fall to us. This team is set up to win, contract wise. 

You have a good chunk of your starters contract coming up soon. 

Could say some of those guys are irrelevant anyway with their play. But their replacements need to be ready now or playing at a high level. And I don't see that now either. 

I'm probably one of the biggest Mariota supporters that you'll find. I loved him coming out of Oregon, 100% thought that he was going to be our franchise guy, and I'm not going to write him off at this point in this season, but if the offense keeps struggling like it has so far this year unfortunately I think it'll be time to move on.  If we end up with a top 10 pick this year I don't know how we pass on a QB.  There's a wide variety of issues that have led to this that others have already mentioned. Lack of weapons, third different offense in 4 years, injuries, etc. My biggest reason for starting to lean towards questioning if he's the answer is just his overall inconsistent play. For every game that he plays out of his mind and shows flashes of true brilliance, there's 3 or 4 where he just can't get anything going.  That's just not the type of guy that the franchise can invest in long term.  Everybody is certainly at fault for his regression from Jon Robinson down, but Marcus did play one of the best games of his career against the Eagles with this same supporting cast, and then has had 2 bad games back to back. That's the type of inconsistency that he's been plagued with for his entire career. Whether it's right or wrong, the expectation for your #2 overall Franchise QB pick is to play consistent football and make the team around you better. Marcus just hasn't met those expectations up to this point, and if it continues we could unfortunately be in the QB market as soon as this offseason.

With all that said, I'm not ready to think about life without Marcus just yet. Ask me when the season is over where I think we are. We just gotta find that Aloha Spirit again and keep it bottled up real tight! :)

Edited by SerenityNow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

As true as all that is...

If we want to see any success in the immediate future. We are going to have to do it with Marcus. 

Unless we get some kind of miracle QB fall to us. This team is set up to win, contract wise. 

You have a good chunk of your starters contract coming up soon. 

30th offense in the NFL that has played in more games than it has scored TDs is more than one player away from contending. I agree with what he is saying about that, but if we're picking high enough in the draft to get a franchise QB, the least of our worries is our "window" in the next 2-3 years.

Franchise QB is about the next 15 years. We're not winning it all with this offense in the next 3 years. 

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 2