Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

I'm not ready to completely give up on Mariota because he is still our best option by far and isn't going anywhere until his contract is up after next year. But this off season we need to consider drafting or signing someone to potentially replace him long term. If Mariota turns it around next year then we take a second look at him. 

Also Robinson is a lot to blame for the lack of weapons. I don't understand. Our starting receivers have a bad games and all we do is keep signing and releasing players like batson and William's that might see a hand full of snaps or game mostly on special teams. We need to make a trade/sign someone legitimate not 4th or 5th options who shouldn't even be on an active roster. 

41 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Glad to have a former offensive linemen and current analyst confirm what a couple of us have been saying. The majority of it was on Mariota. They took away his legs and he looked panicked the entire day. He wanted no part of passing from the pocket.

I watched a few of the All 22 clips I could find on Twitter. In 4 out of the 5 I saw there was an open guy long before Mariota should have been feeling pressure, but he was bailing out of the pocket prematurely anyway. In the other one it was a shotgun play-action play with only 3 WRs downfield. 6 man rush and 6 man protection. Lewis gets caught up in the wash and is freed up too late to be a check-down option, but Mariota was already looking to run anyway. It was the 4th sack on his list here. Conklin is fooled by a guy who starts off in coverage and then rushes. Still, Mariota has the ball right at 4 seconds when he is first hit. I would say that one was more just a great job on the Ravens defense for the play that was called. It was the one play when I would blame the "weapons" everyone has been ripping on (This includes myself last week).

In each of the other 4 it should have been an easy completion. I have no idea what Mariota was doing. 

It wasn't an issue with weapons Sunday. Bringing in more weapons doesn't fix the issue. Mariota throwing the ball to open guys fixes it.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

Not ready to give up on Mariota this year as he needs help from the o line and the run game and receivers. That being said if this is what the rest of the year is like it is time i think which kills me as I like the guy and how he handles himself.

With the option though he has time but needs to show improvement. It is hard because no qb would have done well with the performance around him yesterday.

Edited by Titan89

12 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Glad to have a former offensive linemen and current analyst confirm what a couple of us have been saying. The majority of it was on Mariota. They took away his legs and he looked panicked the entire day. He wanted no part of passing from the pocket.

I watched a few of the All 22 clips I could find on Twitter. In 4 out of the 5 I saw there was an open guy long before Mariota should have been feeling pressure, but he was bailing out of the pocket prematurely anyway. In the other one it was a shotgun play-action play with only 3 WRs downfield. 6 man rush and 6 man protection. Lewis gets caught up in the wash and is freed up too late to be a check-down option, but Mariota was already looking to run anyway. It was the 4th sack on his list here. Conklin is fooled by a guy who starts off in coverage and then rushes. Still, Mariota has the ball right at 4 seconds when he is first hit. I would say that one was more just a great job on the Ravens defense for the play that was called. It was the one play when I would blame the "weapons" everyone has been ripping on (This includes myself last week).

In each of the other 4 it should have been an easy completion. I have no idea what Mariota was doing. 

It wasn't an issue with weapons Sunday. Bringing in more weapons doesn't fix the issue. Mariota throwing the ball to open guys fixes it.

Yeah he could have obviously played better, I never denied that. But I’ve literally never seen him play that horribly in the pocket which makes me believe yesterday was more of an anomoly than anything. I do think his lack of trust in his receivers is playing a factor but if someone’s open you gotta throw it.

• Like 1

There is not a single analyst or fan outside of Tennessee that thinks Mariota is a good QB.

Colin Cowherd has a segment "Where Colin was right; where Colin was wrong" and today for his "Where Colin was right" portion he said "I said over a year ago Marcus Mariota is not a franchise QB".

In what other situation has there been a QB that was written off by everyone, outside of his most biased supporters, that actually turned out to be a franchise QB?

I can't get off of this because I was absolutely so certain that he was going to be a good QB. Literally the second that I allowed doubt in it became so obvious that I wondered how I could possibly just now see it. I usually pride myself on trying to be objective, but, wow, was I biased on this one.

Either way, he's got until the end of the year to prove he is one. And I don't mean show promise or signs of hope. I mean literally prove that week-in and week-out he is the guy. 

If he can't, we're in the market for a QB in 2019. I'm not saying we find one, but if the offense continues to be this abysmal we will pick in the top 10. If we're picking in the top 10 and we see a guy that our scouts have labeled a franchise QB, I think we take them. Let them set a year behind Mariota. If we don't have a shot at anyone we like move forward another year with Mariota.

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah he could have obviously played better, I never denied that. But I’ve literally never seen him play that horribly in the pocket which makes me believe yesterday was more of an anomoly than anything. I do think his lack of trust in his receivers is playing a factor but if someone’s open you gotta throw it.

I didn't mean to say you were denying that. I absolutely agree that it is the worst I have ever seen him play. Honestly it's about as bad as you can see any QB play.

Edited by TitanSS

I think so many of us saw the back to back 9-7 seasons and just didn't want to accept the idea of drafting a QB and starting over. We had made so much progress from the 2-14 and 3-13 days that we wanted to continue improving what we have, not rebuild.

26 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

There is not a single analyst or fan outside of Tennessee that thinks Mariota is a good QB.

Colin Cowherd has a segment "Where Colin was right; where Colin was wrong" and today for his "Where Colin was right" portion he said "I said over a year ago Marcus Mariota is not a franchise QB".

In what other situation has there been a QB that was written off by everyone, outside of his most biased supporters, that actually turned out to be a franchise QB?

I can't get off of this because I was absolutely so certain that he was going to be a good QB. Literally the second that I allowed doubt in it became so obvious that I wondered how I could possibly just now see it. I usually pride myself on trying to be objective, but, wow, was I biased on this one.

Either way, he's got until the end of the year to prove he is one. And I don't mean show promise or signs of hope. I mean literally prove that week-in and week-out he is the guy. 

If he can't, we're in the market for a QB in 2019. I'm not saying we find one, but if the offense continues to be this abysmal we will pick in the top 10. If we're picking in the top 10 and we see a guy that our scouts have labeled a franchise QB, I think we take them. Let them set a year behind Mariota. If we don't have a shot at anyone we like move forward another year with Mariota.

Colin Cowherd is also an idiot so there’s that too.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Not that I completely disagree... But how much of it is a result of him not trusting the WRs? How much pressure is he putting on himself to make the perfect play... to do it all himself? 

Does Mariota get rid of the ball quicker to a sure handed Tate running a crossing pattern? Does it give Davis a little more opportunity on the other side.

4 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Not that I completely disagree... But how much of it is a result of him not trusting the WRs? How much pressure is he putting on himself to make the perfect play... to do it all himself? 

Does Mariota get rid of the ball quicker to a sure handed Tate running a crossing pattern? Does it give Davis a little more opportunity on the other side.

To me it sounds like more of an excuse than a reason. Ignoring an uncovered Lewis as a check down and a wide open Sharpe over the middle aren't something you can place on anyone but him. 

I think trust could be an issue if a guy is somewhat covered and you're relying on a perfect pass for it to be completed, but when you could drive a truck between the WR and the closest defender "trust" is nothing more than an excuse to protect the QB.

Edited by TitanSS

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Most analysts are idiots, but there aren't really any of them saying that the current franchise QBs in the NFL aren't franchise QBs. That was the point.

If most of them are idiots I don’t see any reason to put any stock in to who they say is and isn’t a franchise QB. Personally I don’t think he proves to everybody he’s the guy this year. The offense is too broken and the pitchforks will continue to be lit. If he does I think it’ll be next year after we have an offseason to get our **** together.

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Most analysts are idiots, but there aren't really any of them saying that the current franchise QBs in the NFL aren't franchise QBs. That was the point.

I actually agree with this. Marcus Mariota has not been a franchise caliber QB for us. My question is why not? We all assume he has all the key ingredients: the intelligence, the composure, the accuracy, and the physical skill set. But what is it he lacks?

Perhaps he is not as football intelligent as we thought? Maybe his decision making is simply too reckless too often? 

Personally, I believe his confidence has been shot to absolute s**t, and that is why he has regressed so much. It is extremely rare to see a QB have as promising a first 2 years as Mariota did and then totally fall of the face of the earth. That might happen pretty frequently with 1-year wonders, but not 2. Something happened to him after 2016. Idk if it was the injury or what, but his trajectory hit a damn plane at some point, because it was sky high. 

• Like 2