Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

8 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

To me it sounds like more of an excuse than a reason. Ignoring an uncovered Lewis as a check down and a wide open Sharpe over the middle aren't something you can place on anyone but him. 

I think trust could be an issue if a guy is somewhat covered and you're relying on a perfect pass for it to be completed, but when you could drive a truck between the WR and the closest defender "trust" is nothing more than an excuse to protect the QB.

It probably is just me reaching for something to explain it. 

Its something though... He's broken right now... The offense is... 

We're 2 weeks removed from a pretty damn good game. What's changed since then? Have defenses just figured out that taking away the only guy Mariota trusts kills the offense? Has Mariota just regressed in those 2 weeks? 

Just now, dtait93 said:

If most of them are idiots I don’t see any reason to put any stock in to who they say is and isn’t a franchise QB. Personally I don’t think he proves to everybody he’s the guy this year. The offense is too broken and the pitchforks will continue to be lit. If he does I think it’ll be next year after we have an offseason to get our **** together.

Most of them are idiots, but they can see the obvious. 4 years into a QBs career you know who he is, it's obvious. Part of the problem you're missing here though, is that right now he's a big part of it being broken. Sharpe, Taylor, and Davis were getting open. The majority of the sacks were not on the OL. 

Maybe he's injured or something and that's part of it, I don't know, but he hasn't played like a franchise QB in 2 years.

At some point we have to accept that players are what they are and stop dreaming about what they can be. 

15 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

We're 2 weeks removed from a pretty damn good game. What's changed since then? Have defenses just figured out that taking away the only guy Mariota trusts kills the offense? Has Mariota just regressed in those 2 weeks? 

The obvious thing to me has been blitzing. Mariota doesn't check down, he tries to run. If you blitz and maintain your lanes Mariota panics. He has just looked bad under pressure, and Philadelphia, as we all are familiar with Schwartz, is a line 4 guys up on the line and rush defense. Not a lot of disguise in the front seven. Not a lot of blitzing.

Only 2 of the sacks yesterday came when he wasn't blitzed. 9 when blitzed. I think he was 7/9 passing when not blitzed.

For some reason he seems scared to step up into the pocket and keep his eyes downfield.

Also if it's a trust issue, it's a Mariota problem not a weapons problem. Sharpe has one drop. Smith has one drop. Hardly a reason to stop throwing to them. Our big drops were practice squad guys who just happened to be in a big moment. They usually aren't even on the field.

Edited by TitanSS

Also, we keep blaming weapons. Darnold has jack **** for weapons and he's completing 60% of his passes, 225 yds/g, 9 TDs 7 INTs. Jets have 3 games with 34+ points this season.

Tell me which weapon the Jets have that Mariota needs to succeed... or at least score a single touchdown.

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Also, we keep blaming weapons. Darnold has jack **** for weapons and he's completing 60% of his passes, 225 yds/g, 9 TDs 7 INTs. Jets have 3 games with 34+ points this season.

Tell me which weapon the Jets have that Mariota needs to succeed... or at least score a single touchdown.

Exactly. Just another excuse for him. Apparently everything has to be perfect for him to succeed.

23 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Don't look like he trust his eyes, his ability or the players around him. Yesterday looked like he had no confidence in what was being asked of him. 

Looked at his first read and like he didn't know what to do from there but run and try to scramble. 

35 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Most of them are idiots, but they can see the obvious. 4 years into a QBs career you know who he is, it's obvious. Part of the problem you're missing here though, is that right now he's a big part of it being broken. Sharpe, Taylor, and Davis were getting open. The majority of the sacks were not on the OL. 

Maybe he's injured or something and that's part of it, I don't know, but he hasn't played like a franchise QB in 2 years.

At some point we have to accept that players are what they are and stop dreaming about what they can be. 

Except I never said he wasn’t part of the problem. He was clearly missing wide open guys yesterday and is responsible for a large chunk of the sacks. My point is that we literally have never seen him play that skittish and miss that many wide open guys right in front of him which makes me believe yesterday is more of an anomaly.

Even in the games in which he’s not lighting up the box score he has never just randomly abandoned the pocket and not seen a wide open checkdown/receiver. It was like he was blind. Up until yesterday what game can we point to and say we lost because of Marcus? Weren’t we just raving about his play against Jacksonville for pulling out a huge win with a numb hand against an elite defense on the road? And then following it up by beating the defending champs on a game winning overtime drive with 3 TD’s and almost 400 yards total offense in which he could have just folded after Jennings dropped a wide open touchdown pass? The Bills game was a dud yeah, but what would we be saying if Williams doesn’t drop a perfectly thrown touchdown pass and runs an NFL caliber route and the interception never happens and we win? I really think yesterday is an anomoly. We rarely sit there at the end of a game and say, “yeah we lost that one because of Marcus.”

Edit: No idea how to get that font size down on my phone lol

Edited by dtait93

20 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Except I never said he wasn’t part of the problem. He was clearly missing wide open guys yesterday and is responsible for a large chunk of the sacks. My point is that we literally have never seen him play that skittish and miss that many wide open guys right in front of him which makes me believe yesterday is more of an anomaly.

Even in the games in which he’s not lighting up the box score he has never just randomly abandoned the pocket and not seen a wide open checkdown/receiver. It was like he was blind. Up until yesterday what game can we point to and say we lost because of Marcus? Weren’t we just raving about his play against Jacksonville for pulling out a huge win with a numb hand against an elite defense on the road? And then following it up by beating the defending champs on a game winning overtime drive with 3 TD’s and almost 400 yards total offense in which he could have just folded after Jennings dropped a wide open touchdown pass? The Bills game was a dud yeah, but what would we be saying if Williams doesn’t drop a perfectly thrown touchdown pass and runs an NFL caliber route and the interception never happens and we win? I really think yesterday is an anomoly. We rarely sit there at the end of a game and say, “yeah we lost that one because of Marcus.”

Edit: No idea how to get that font size down on my phone lol

I agree that was the worst he has been, but he's been at best below average in other games. For every Eagles game there's 3 Bills games.  I don't think it was so much of an anomaly as it was rock bottom.

I think part of the reason is up until now the vast majority of us have found every excuse not to blame Mariota. It didn't matter whose fault it was, we weren't pinning it on him. Now that's changed and I think we'll see it a lot more. I got angry with someone for trolling just last week when it turns out he was the only one who wasn't blind. Maybe the dropped pass isn't on Mariota, but how many plays did he leave on the field that we blamed on someone else?

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I agree that was the worst he has been, but he's been at best below average in other games. For every Eagles game there's 3 Bills games.  I don't think it was so much of an anomaly as it was rock bottom.

I think part of the reason is up until now the vast majority of us have found every excuse not to blame Mariota. It didn't matter whose fault it was, we weren't pinning it on him. Now that's changed and I think we'll see it a lot more. I got angry with someone for trolling just last week when it turns out he was the only one who wasn't blind. Maybe the dropped pass isn't on Mariota, but how many plays did he leave on the field that we blamed on someone else?

I mean it’s hard to tell what was left on the field unless you have a way of watching the game to where you can see the whole field. But aside from Baltimore, what plays can you honestly point to and say yeah Marcus really left a lot of plays out there? Maybe where he missed a seemingly wide open Jonnu Smith last week against Buffalo? Even still, that play still should have been a touchdown but Williams dropped an absolute dime. The interception right before the half against Philly? Maybe he should have been more conservative but at the same time Corey also ran the wrong route. But what else? The Miami interceptions after his ulnar nerve got dinged and he couldn’t feel his hand? I’ll give that to you, he shouldn’t have went back in if it was that bad. His other 2 interceptions though I don’t blame him and the 2 against Miami weren’t decision making issues. I also count 3 dropped TD passes to go along with having the 2nd highest drop rate in the NFL and a rushing attack that’s only averaging 74 yards a game after you subtract Marcus’ rushing yards. So again I have to ask, and I'm honestly being genuine because I can’t think of any off the top of my head, what plays is he leaving on the field aside from the obvious ones against Baltimore?

Call it excuses if you want, but it’s like calling it an excuse that your late to work because someone slashed your tires in the middle of the night.

Edited by dtait93
  • Like 1

Went back and looked at his play during the Eagles. The pass blocking was an issue in that game but Marcus was able to allude the rush or got rid of the ball quicker. Long pass to Davis had a man in his face. 

And the bootlegs aren't working. The edge guy doesn't respect the run at all. He rolls right into the end. 

What worked with the Eagles didn't work with the Bills or the Ravens. Blueprint is out. 

25 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Call it excuses if you want, but it’s like calling it an excuse that your late to work because someone slashed your tires in the middle of the night.

It's not an excuse if it's true, but blaming the weapons is largely speculative. We have placed blame on them because we don't want to blame our golden boy. I was guilty of this too until literally two days ago.

Also, if you're late to work 3 out of 4 days going on 4 straight years, except for an 8 day stretch in 2016, your boss is probably going to fire you. If it's that consistent, you're the problem, not the guy slashing your tires.

How many more excuses can we come up with for being late to work? Why isn't Darnold late to work? If Mariota's tires are slashed then Darnold and Luck are driving on all 4 rims with sparks flying out and somehow still getting to work on time.

Edited by TitanSS

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Went back and looked at his play during the Eagles. The pass blocking was an issue in that game but Marcus was able to allude the rush or got rid of the ball quicker. Long pass to Davis had a man in his face. 

And the bootlegs aren't working. The edge guy doesn't respect the run at all. He rolls right into the end. 

What worked with the Eagles didn't work with the Bills or the Ravens. Blueprint is out. 

And that’s another huge issue is the rushing attack. It’s effecting the play action and bootlegs which is supposed to be a staple of this offense.

He also is not going to be able to allude the rush week in and week out. He’s not Russell Wilson. What he can do though is be more decisive and get the ball out quicker like most of us have mentioned. In fact I remember LaFleur mentioning the importance of the QB being decisive in response to a reporter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

It's not an excuse if it's true, but blaming the weapons is largely speculative. We have placed blame on them because we don't want to blame our golden boy.

Ok so I ask you, specifically this year outside of the Baltimore game (because we all agree he was poor) what plays can you honestly point to and say yeah that’s on Marcus?

And no it’s not speculative. I can point to multiple dropped passes that should have been 3rd down conversions, multiple dropped touchdown passes, wrong routes ran leading to interceptions, poor routes ran leading to interceptions, and an absolutely horrendous rushing attack. Those are all facts.

Edited by dtait93

I'm not ready to abandon ship quite yet. The games like these last couple weeks continue to happen way too often, but when he's on, he's greatness. I feel bad for him with this awful supporting cast and we've followed the "how to kill a QB 101" plan on giving him a new offense almost every year since he's been drafted. 

Honestly though, I'm down for upgrading anything on offense except for OT. We have a good young LT and a good young RT, everything else needs to be better. Quite a bit better.