Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

6 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Mariota is kinda weird in this regard. Early in games and against mediocre/bad opponents it's like he plays tight and down to his opponents. When it's late in games, in high pressure situation and against high quality opponents, he becomes a ice cold killer.

He just needs to stay healthy (of course) and play loose and free. If he can do that, I think he'll certainly be rewarded with a nice contract by next season.

i mean, kind of reflective of the team as a whole. beating the brakes off the patriots and losing to the bills in the same season, etc, etc

7 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Mariota is kinda weird in this regard. Early in games and against mediocre/bad opponents it's like he plays tight and down to his opponents. When it's late in games, in high pressure situation and against high quality opponents, he becomes a ice cold killer.

He just needs to stay healthy (of course) and play loose and free. If he can do that, I think he'll certainly be rewarded with a nice contract by next season.

I think a large part of that percentage is his injury history.  Playing injured is a great way to lose to bad teams.

Looking at Drew Lock. Kyler Murray. Dwayne Haskins play further shows that QBs aren't growing on trees. 

These guys have a lot of football to play but none look like surefire franchise guys. 

They are hard to come by. And guys that can truly play in the league are just as tough. 

If someone is wanting to just draft the best QB at #12-15 or #30. Then be it is likely gonna be a struggle from said QB. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Looking at Drew Lock. Kyler Murray. Dwayne Haskins play further shows that QBs aren't growing on trees. 

These guys have a lot of football to play but none look like surefire franchise guys. 

They are hard to come by. And guys that can truly play in the league are just as tough. 

If someone is wanting to just draft the best QB at #12-15 or #30. Then be it is likely gonna be a struggle from said QB. 

I would assume if for whatever reason we move on from Mariota after this season, Tannehill is likely given a couple year deal and you draft a guy to develop. If Tannehill is good enough to keep the job, cool. If not, turn to the guy you're developing at some point.

I think the key of it all is our defense can't be wasted. We see even the top tier defenses like the Broncos and Seahawks of recent memory don't stay good forever, whether that be due to players departing or aging or whatever else, and we have the added pressure of the possibility that Pees retires some point in the near future. And while I like what Vrabel has done as HC so far, I have all of 0 interest in seeing him coordinate our defense or be more heavily involved with our defense, and I'm not sure how likely you are to find a coordinator as good as Pees(or even all that close to be honest, or maybe even more importantly, one that Vrabel would trust enough to stay as hands off as he is with it now) when he retires.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Again as I keep saying having a franchise QB is overrated, they get paid ridiculous cash over everyone else, but tell me how many elite Franchise QB have won Super Bowls 🤨🤔 lets do the math, Brady the Goat 6 okay but out of his 6 we can all agree 2 maybe 3 were won when he was a game manager playing behind a strong defense & run game.

Big Ben 2 rings, 1st ring he was a game manager nothing elite.

Eli manning 🤷🏽‍♂️ Clutch but far from elite passer that played behind an elite defense & Rushing.

Russel Wilson 1 Super Bowl & was he a elite pocket passer 🗣No legion of Boom & Beast mode.

Aaron Rodgers 1 Championship 

Peyton Manning 2 championships but his last 1 in Denver was a cry for help was even benched & simply couldn’t sling it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Again as I keep saying having a franchise QB is overrated, they get paid ridiculous cash over everyone else, but tell me how many elite Franchise QB have won Super Bowls 🤨🤔 lets do the math, Brady the Goat 6 okay but out of his 6 we can all agree 2 maybe 3 were won when he was a game manager playing behind a strong defense & run game.

Big Ben 2 rings, 1st ring he was a game manager nothing elite.

Eli manning 🤷🏽‍♂️ Clutch but far from elite passer that played behind an elite defense & Rushing.

Russel Wilson 1 Super Bowl & was he a elite pocket passer 🗣No legion of Boom & Beast mode.

Aaron Rodgers 1 Championship 

Peyton Manning 2 championships but his last 1 in Denver was a cry for help was even benched & simply couldn’t sling it.

Good point. 

You need a decent QB or  one of the best ever in Brady and a good coach. 

With a good defense. 

All the guys you mentioned had good defenses. Specifically a good pass rush. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Good point. 

You need a decent QB or  one of the best ever in Brady and a good coach. 

With a good defense. 

All the guys you mentioned had good defenses. Specifically a good pass rush. 

Exactly the NFL is just a overhyped passing league, yea it’s nice & sale tickets to have a QB throwing over 4K yards 35 -40+ TD’s a year but at the end of the day is it winning a championship 🗣Not Really hell Joe Flacco is a Super bowl champion enough & Nick Foles I rest my case 

• Like 1

So I've got the QB dilemma figured out. If Mariota sucks this year we cut him. Next season we start Ryan Tannehill. Tanny is, you guessed it, injured in the preseason. Logan Woodside starts all 16 games and the Titans go 1-15.

With the first overall pick in the 2021 draft, the Tennesse Titans select, Trevor Lawrence, Quarterback, Clemson.

Edited by TitanSS

55 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

So I've got the QB dilemma figured out. If Mariota sucks this year we cut him. Next season we start Ryan Tannehill. Tanny is, you guessed it, injured in the preseason. Logan Woodside starts all 16 games and the Titans go 1-15.

With the first overall pick in the 2021 draft, the Tennesse Titans select, Trevor Lawrence, Quarterback, Clemson.

A man can dream.

Something tells me there will be multiple 1-15 teams that season.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Even Woodside could lead this team to 5 wins....

I just don't get how anyone would think Tannehill is the better option going into 2019... I know Mariota's injury issues are a driving force... But I didn't realize how much tannehill had missed himself... Making only 24 of the last 48 possible starts... Anyway, here's some more comparison between the 2... 

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-marcus-mariota-should-survive-at-qb-for-the-titans-in-2019

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I just don't get how anyone would think Tannehill is the better option going into 2019... I know Mariota's injury issues are a driving force... But I didn't realize how much tannehill had missed himself... Making only 24 of the last 48 possible starts... Anyway, here's some more comparison between the 2... 

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-marcus-mariota-should-survive-at-qb-for-the-titans-in-2019

The only argument I can see being made is if Mariota doesn't show any definitive improvement over the last two seasons and Tannehill is significantly cheaper.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I’m not arguing your point, but am I the only one who finds it interesting that Tannehill didn’t miss a single start in his first 4 seasons? I mean, that’s pretty significant. We’re talking over 60 consecutive starts. How often does a dude go from super durable like that to super injury prone? 

43 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

I’m not arguing your point, but am I the only one who finds it interesting that Tannehill didn’t miss a single start in his first 4 seasons? I mean, that’s pretty significant. We’re talking over 60 consecutive starts. How often does a dude go from super durable like that to super injury prone? 

I believe his body finally just wore down. No QB was sacked more than he was in that 4 year span.

• Like 1