Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

It might not be time for everyone to admit it but it is for me .. Marcus Mariota is not a franchise QB, whoever says otherwise is in love with the guy we drafted not the guy currently on this team. It kills me to type this because I was such a big fan of his and after that 4 td game to start his career I finally thought we had our guy for the next ten years .. instead we have an injury prone QB who throws more Interceptions then TDs.

Yesterday on Reddit this topic was brought up and a lot of fans were continuing to throw blame on everyone but Mariota. At one point is it his fault?

Unfortunelty for this franchise we will pay him 20 plus next year for the fifth option and then give him 150 million plus and we’re stuck with him for 6 more years . It’s year 4 and he’s playing like a turd . 

At this point it’s just as much Mariota fault as it is everybody on the team and front office. Can’t go away from him tho, what QBs are available via draft or FA that are honestly better then Mariota? He’s learning his 3rd offense, getting nothing from the run game, and the front office isn’t doing enough to help him personnel wise. Gotta stick with him, everybody on offense is playing like s*** right now.. If it wasn’t for last year and the beginning of this season, nobody would be having this conversation right now. If he wouldn’t have broke his leg that one year he would have been in the pro bowl. Overreaction is insane right now.

If it isn't, it's getting pretty close. 

The entire reason we changed regimes after last season is because we "weren't happy with Mariota's development". So we bring in a guy whose offense is supposedly tailor-made for a player like Marcus, and he still sucks? I think at some point you just have to ask yourself if the guy is actually any good.     

Edited by ShupacTakur

I don't think he's a bust, so it depends what you want to consider moving on from.

First, there has to be a replacement. If we continue being this bad on offense we will pick in the top 10, so we may have a viable replacement available. I would draft a QB.

Secondly you have to figure out what you think Mariota really is because we don't know what these rookies will be.

I said I don't consider him a bust, because that depends on what you consider a bust. Not every highly drafted QB can be a top 5 guy in the NFL. I consider Mariota with us what Alex Smith was in San Francisco, and I wouldn't call Smith's career a bust. Mariota is the guy who can play well when a lot of things are going right around him. He can occasionally play well when they're not. But he's not going to consistently take games over.

We have all defended him, myself included, because his supporting cast sucks, which is true. We play in a division with Andrew Luck. He has never had anything but TY Hilton and he has consistently put the team on his back. Even if they don't win, they have an offense. I don't see how we can sit here and blame the rest of the offense anymore, even though I just did so last week. I'll eat crow on this one. 

He's not a top QB now, nor will he ever be. We can decide to move on from him, or we can try to invest so heavily in weapons and tailoring a scheme to him that he can't fail and see if we can win with Alex Smith.

If we feel like we have a chance to get top level QB in the draft, I'd draft one. If we don't, we're going to have to give him a contract.

4 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I don't think he's a bust, so it depends what you want to consider moving on from.

First, there has to be a replacement. If we continue being this bad on offense we will pick in the top 10, so we may have a viable replacement available. I would draft a QB.

Secondly you have to figure out what you think Mariota really is because we don't know what these rookies will be.

I said I don't consider him a bust, because that depends on what you consider a bust. Not every highly drafted QB can be a top 5 guy in the NFL. I consider Mariota with us what Alex Smith was in San Francisco, and I wouldn't call Smith's career a bust. Mariota is the guy who can play well when a lot of things are going right around him. He can occasionally play well when they're not. But he's not going to consistently take games over.

We have all defended him, myself included, because his supporting cast sucks, which is true. We play in a division with Andrew Luck. He has never had anything but TY Hilton and he has consistently put the team on his back. Even if they don't win, they have an offense. I don't see how we can sit here and blame the rest of the offense anymore, even though I just did so last week. I'll eat crow on this one. 

He's not a top QB now, nor will he ever be. We can decide to move on from him, or we can try to invest so heavily in weapons and tailoring a scheme to him that he can't fail and see if we can win with Alex Smith.

If we feel like we have a chance to get top level QB in the draft, I'd draft one. If we don't, we're going to have to give him a contract.

Agreed with much of this, although I still believe Mariota has a much higher ceiling than Alex Smith. I'm just not sure what it's going to take for him to reach it at this point.  

I just don’t know anymore. I blame Robinson for not doing anything other than Dion Lewis to help him this offseason while throwing massive money at a bad cornerback. 

But the problem obviously goes beyond that. He just doesn’t look good. 

Yeah, the line needs to be better, though they only allowed nine sacks in the first five weeks. God knows the run game needs to be better. And he’s certainly been plagued by drops.

But at some point, he needs to create plays. Which is something he’s done for maybe a game and a half this year (Jags and Eagles). 

We are approaching the point where we are either going to part ways or pay him serious money. If there’s legit receiving options on the market, we need to make a move. We should’ve addressed the line in free agency.

If this is the make or break year, where he has to learn yet another new system, we should have left no doubts about the supporting cast. Instead, I absolutely have the fear that he could leave here and be a damn good QB somewhere else with a stable coaching staff and competent surroundings.

I'm still in the give him some damn help department. He obviously has to take some of the blame (he missed a wide open Taylor that would have changed the whole complexity of the game) not just for yesterday but for last year as well....but who the **** is helping him at all?

No running game.

No tight ends.

No WR's - defenses just take Davis out of the game.

Interior O-line is getting absolutely smothered (Lewan and Conklin aren't exactly playing well either).

LaFleur's play calling is a complete joke.

He is clearly still trying to learn ANOTHER new offense - his 3rd in 4 years.

I mean who in the hell wouldn't be looking like a bust under those circumstances?

The blame HAS to ultimately fall on Jon Robinson. He has hung Marcus out to dry.

He drafted a bad TE in Jonnu Smith.

He drafted multiple below average WR's in Sharpe and Taylor.

He didn't bring in any FA WR's to bring competition to the position - Taywan and Tajae were handed their roster spots without having proved anything.

He signed Kline to a new deal and he has been **** this year.

He drafted Derrick Henry in the 2nd round and he is not a back that can succeed in today's NFL.

He hired a rookie offensive coordinator who has never called plays before who is looking lost these last couple games.

He continues to bring in these ****stain WR's off the PS and has refused to make a trade or go the FA route when we so obviously desperately need help. And you can say there's a reason why the guys in the FA market are in the FA market, but as some point you have to try SOMETHING because this group clearly isn't cutting it.

Sorry but that is unacceptable. I'm not saying Marcus isn't at fault for some of these woes, but come on...everyone around him is failing.

3 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Agreed with much of this, although I still believe Mariota has a much higher ceiling than Alex Smith. I'm just not sure what it's going to take for him to reach it at this point.  

I think most of us did, but I think it's time for a lot of us to realize we are looking at that with bias. How many star QBs in the NFL need their fans to blame the supporting cast for a 2 year stretch of their career. A single game? Sure. But this has been going on for too long. 

The OL is going to get a lot of the blame for yesterday, and they deserve some of it, but a lot of that was on Mariota. He played absolutely horrendously and created his own pressure numerous times. When you don't step back up into the pocket, you eliminate any chance your OT has to block. He looked terrified to step back into the pocket and often was trying to flee seconds before he needed to. Hell he even sacked himself once.

• Like 1

A lot of the sacks yesterday were also on Marcus. Boy was shell shocked to a point where he wouldn’t even take off. On one play Dion was open in the flat and he takes a sack. Missed deep ball to Taywan early in the game who had his man burned bad. Good QBs make that throw. We’ve made a lot of excuses for him but that has to stop. He’s just not any good especially right now. No way he deserves a 2nd contract(at that price) with how he’s played so far.  

I understand he had no help, I used that argument myself, but is that really the reason he can't eclipse 130 yards passing?

Andrew Luck has played most of his career with one of the worst OLs in the NFL. Good QBs make everyone around them better. TY Hilton with an average QB is an average WR at best. Eric Ebron before Luck was considered a bust. That is what a franchise QB does for your team. 

As long as Andrew Luck is on the Colts they will have an offense. You can blame his supporting casts for them losing, because they are bad, but he still scores points.

We haven't scored over 20 in regulation once this season. Put Luck in our offense and that's probably our low score. He hasn't been good.

Edited by TitanSS

20 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

yay the sky is falling thread! Trade Marcus! Fire Mike! Amy should sell the team!

BLAHHHHH same crap when we start to lose every time. smh

Carry on boys LOL

If this is the same old thread you speak of then there has to be something wrong if we keep on  bringing it up , Right?  I understand the over reaction threads we get but this isn’t one of them. This is a serious question about our so called franchise QB. 

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I understand he had no help, I used that argument myself, but is that really the reason he can't eclipse 130 yards passing?

Andrew Luck has played most of his career with one of the worst OLs in the NFL. Good QBs make everyone around them better. TY Hilton with an average QB is an average WR at best. Eric Ebron before Luck was considered a bust. That is what a franchise QB does for your team. 

As long as Andrew Luck is on the Colts they will have an offense. You can blame his supporting casts for them losing, because they are bad, but he still scores points.

Okay but how many Andrew Luck type's are out there that make everyone around them better? I count 6.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

Andrew Luck

Your just not gonna find that on the regular. All 6 of those guys are Hall of Famers or borderline Hall of Famers.