Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

44 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Bro, ya'll just had a game with 11 sacks. It's not meant as insult or piling on. Heads must roll. 

Fire that GM, and try to recover from this "hey let's dump the playoff winning coach" debacle. 

After the Patriots sweep you all for the 20th season in a row, why don't you all hire that playoff winning coach as your new HC to be your savior?

Our "loss" is your pain gain.

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

The All 22 painted a different picture like I suspected. 

Blame goes all around. 

Sack #1 - Blame to: No one. Ravens completely counter the play call.

Sack #2 - Blame to: WR’s. Created no separation.

Sack #3 - Blame to: Marcus. Had the chance to dump it off to Dion for maybe a 1 or 2 yard gain.

Sack #4 - Blame to: WR’s. Created no separation.

Sack #5 - Blame to: Spain. Gets dominated by the pass rusher.

Sack #6 - Blame to: Marcus. Abandoned the pocket for no reason.

Sack #7 - Blame to: WR’s. Created no separation.

Sack #8 - Blame to: WR’s and Levine. Created no separation, and Levine got beat.

Sack #9 - Blame to: Everyone. WR’s create no separation, Lewan gets beat, and Marcus drops his eyes.

Sack #10 - Blame to: Marcus and Lewan. Had a few guys open and Lewan gets absolutely abused.

Sack #11 - Blame to: Marcus. Had I think Sharpe open down the middle.

So yeah blame to everyone. LaFleurs playcalling though....like man you got to dial up some shorter routes. Also, I believe I only saw 1 screen called that game...short routes and the screen game is how you beat the blitz and he didn’t utilize either....absolutely atrocious on his end.

We've talked about how bad Butler has been, but on how many of his allowed receptions would the receiver have been considered "open" by the same standards that we're defining "open" for our WRs? 

The Crabtree TD certainly wasn't open. QB put it where only Crabtree could get it.

Jeffrey was usually well covered. QB put the ball where only he could get it.

At what point do we accept that in the NFL guys don't consistently run across the field with two yards of separation and you have to fit the ball in tight windows and put it where only your guy can get it to be successful? Also, being "open" usually doesn't persist throughout the route. You will often have less than a half second window and have to throw the ball before the receiver is open. I don't feel like this has been acknowledged at all when we talk about our WRs. Anyone can throw to wide open guys.

Agree on the LaFleur point. This is much closer to Shannahan's offense than the Rams, and we don't have the personnel for it. I think we all thought we were getting the Rams offense with the 80% 3 WR sets and west coast concepts, but it's been far more suited to the multiple TE/FB offense Shannahan runs. We don't have anyone that can play TE or FB so that is really hurting.

Edited by TitanSS

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

We've talked about how bad Butler has been, but on how many of his allowed receptions would the receiver have been considered "open" by the same standards that we're defining "open" for our WRs? 

The Crabtree TD certainly wasn't open. QB put it where only Crabtree could get it.

At what point do we accept that in the NFL guys don't consistently run across the field with two yards of separation and you have to fit the ball in tight windows and put it where only your guy can get it to be successful? I don't feel like this has been acknowledged at all. Anyone can throw to wide open guys.

Agree on the LaFleur point. This is much closer to Shannahan's offense than the Rams, and we don't have the personnel for it. I think we all thought we were getting the Rams offense with the 80% 3 WR sets and west coast concepts, but it's been far more suited to the multiple TE/FB offense Shannahan runs. We don't have anyone that can play TE or FB so that is really hurting.

not saying this to absolve Marcus...but our WRs dont make plays for our QB

6 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

not saying this to absolve Marcus...but our WRs dont make plays for our QB

I understand they haven't been great, but Davis and Sharpe have one drop between them. Taylor's drops have been an issue and the other drops have been on practice squad guys who the majority aren't even on the team anymore. Our top 3 WRs really haven't been the issue with the drops. It's been the cruicial situations the practice squad guys were in.

How many times have we seen a perfect ball placement in a tight Window?

Against the Jaguars there was one to Davis that wasn't caught, but it was placed too low. He needed it to be around the knee and it was closer to the ankle. It wasn't even considered a drop because it was too inaccurate.

Outside of that? Maybe the Taylor drop on a comeback against the Eagles. I'd have to rewatch it. It was considered a drop.

The drop to Mattews.

Edited by TitanSS

As Cosell said on local radio, Marcus is the type of QB to see it and throw it. He doesn't take many chances. And not now definitely where trust in his WRs are at a low. 

We can blame him for not throwing the ball to WRs. But would we give him a pass if those passes were intercepted because of subpar play from the Wideouts? We all bashed Nick Williams for his lazy route. 

Only guy I'd have him throw the ball too in tight places would be Davis. And from looks of it, he didn't even have time to force it to him. Because of him and the O-Line. 

If he's throwing it where only his guy can get it and it's intercepted it's probably his fault and not the WRs unless the WR bats it up in the air somehow. A drop is a lot better than a sack.

Neither Davis or Sharpe has had drop issues. That's two guys he should feel comfortable throwing to in tight windows.

But we haven't even seen him try to throw guys open. If they don't have separation, he doesn't throw it. Sometimes you have to give your guys a chance to make a play. 

But whether or not he "trusts" his guys or not doesn't matter. If guys are causing interceptions on perfectly thrown balls it's up to the coaches to get them out of the game. He has to have a short memory, because guys don't consistently separate in the NFL, and if you don't throw guys open and you can't locate the ball in the one place only your man can reach it, you're going to have a bad offense.

Edited by TitanSS

12 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

If he's throwing it where only his guy can get it and it's intercepted it's probably his fault and not the WRs unless the WR bats it up in the air somehow. A drop is a lot better than a sack.

Neither Davis or Sharpe has had drop issues. That's two guys he should feel comfortable throwing to in tight windows.

But we haven't even seen him try to throw guys open. If they don't have separation, he doesn't throw it. Sometimes you have to give your guys a chance to make a play. 

But whether or not he "trusts" his guys or not doesn't matter. If guys are causing interceptions on perfectly thrown balls it's up to the coaches to get them out of the game. He has to have a short memory, because guys don't consistently separate in the NFL, and if you don't throw guys open and you can't locate the ball in the one place only your man can reach it, you're going to have a bad offense.

what’s especially frustrating is it’s not as though he’s incapable of doing this. we’ve seen it. he’s just regressed and gotten way more hesitant about it and it’s really crippling the offense.

38 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

At what point do we accept that in the NFL guys don't consistently run across the field with two yards of separation and you have to fit the ball in tight windows and put it where only your guy can get it to be successful? Also, being "open" usually doesn't persist throughout the route. You will often have less than a half second window and have to throw the ball before the receiver is open. I don't feel like this has been acknowledged at all when we talk about our WRs. Anyone can throw to wide open guys.

Orlovsky tried to say multiple times in the offseason that LaFleur would call an offense much similar to SF than LAR, but for some reason that never caught on with anyone, fans or media here.

• Like 1

Just now, -Hope- said:

what’s especially frustrating is it’s not as though he’s incapable of doing this. we’ve seen it. he’s just regressed and gotten way more hesitant about it and it’s really crippling the offense.

Yeah I don't think he has an accuracy issue at all. He's actually got a good arm. He's just choosing not to throw it. He's also shown he can anticipate guys getting open in the past, but I saw two chances on those sacks from last week for him to drop it over a linebacker and under a safety and he took the sack.

Going back and looking at game clips. I am not close to giving up on him yet. Just too much there. Even if it's inconsistent. 

He has faults. And he needs to improve but he has the goods. 

Maybe he needs too close to perfect situations to be successful. I don't know. Maybe it's the offense. Obviously the team is struggling. Everyone from the the line, WRs RBs, TEs, and QB are having issues. 

Marcus has to be better. But I see everyone taking turns making it suck. 

Marcus isn't the one that needs to go. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

He has to throw guys open on just about every play though. From time to time yeah you need to give your guys a chance to make a play I agree and he needs to be better there...but when you have to on almost every play? Not even Tom Brady is asked to do that. Why don’t you hold the receivers responsible for making a play for Marcus by getting open? Look what happened when Sharpe abused his man against Philly. Touchdown. He hasn’t done that since. Yes, Marcus needs to anticipate better, not drop his eyes, throw guys open more often, and not throw off his back foot but you’ve literally 180’d to blaming everything on everyone else to blaming everything on Marcus and neither is fair. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

I don't think it's as simple as saying he needs to go. Replacing a QB is so hard and we know he can succeed given the perfect situations.

I just don't think he's the franchise QB we hoped he was. He's Alex Smith.

It's not a cut him and find the next solution thing. We may have him for a couple years while looking at other QBs in the draft before we find one we think we love.

I think there's only one of those guys in this years draft and unless we pick first overall I think we have Marcus only next year.