Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

9 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

So is everyone still ready to burn Marcus’ jersey or can we all agree he needs something that resembles a wide receiver before we properly judge him?

The criticism of Mariota is well deserved. He played much better today, but he ain’t out of the woods yet. Let’s see him go a few consecutive weeks without looking like absolute dog s*** before hopping back on his nuts. 

Or at least that’s what I’m doing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShupacTakur said:

The criticism of Mariota is well deserved. He played much better today, but he ain’t out of the woods yet. Let’s see him go a few consecutive weeks without looking like absolute dog s*** before hopping back on his nuts. 

Please tell me how I’m jumping on his nuts. Lol.

14 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Exactly. He still wasn’t exactly great today either. He took two sacks and the INT was on him. So that’s points he gave away right before the half. He played a solid game but still not very good.

If a baseball player who is struggling goes 3-4 one day with 3 singles it doesn’t mean he’s turned it around . Mariota cost us points going into half which ultimately was the reason for losing the game . Yea the two point conversion was a bad call but we wouldn’t even be in that position if he didn’t throw that pick going into half. Titans are now 3-4 losing the last 3 games and we continue to blame it on everyone but Mariota. 

just because he played a good game outside of that pick doesn’t mean we can forget that play happened. He now has 3 tds to 5 ints and we’ve played 7 games . The guy is the definition of mediocre and until we get rid of him this offense will continue to be stagnant . 

And enough of the weapon excuses . Go ask Andrew luck if he enjoys Ryan grant and Chester Rodgers 

52 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

If a baseball player who is struggling goes 3-4 one day with 3 singles it doesn’t mean he’s turned it around . Mariota cost us points going into half which ultimately was the reason for losing the game . Yea the two point conversion was a bad call but we wouldn’t even be in that position if he didn’t throw that pick going into half. Titans are now 3-4 losing the last 3 games and we continue to blame it on everyone but Mariota. 

just because he played a good game outside of that pick doesn’t mean we can forget that play happened. He now has 3 tds to 5 ints and we’ve played 7 games . The guy is the definition of mediocre and until we get rid of him this offense will continue to be stagnant . 

And enough of the weapon excuses . Go ask Andrew luck if he enjoys Ryan grant and Chester Rodgers 

No one is completely absolving Marcus, at least from what I've read in this thread. He is plenty to blame.

But why do you ignore the 3rd down drop by Corey that would have extended the drive and given Succop, who is money inside of 50+, a field goal attempt inside of 50+? Would that not also have won us the game? Or what about Taywan's 25+ yard drop? Or why not blame Succop for missing his kick? Seems to me you just want to burn Marcus when it reality it's a group effort. There are other plays you can point to that also would have won us the game...like the 75 and 55 yard touchdowns given up by the defense.

Stop ignoring the context of the 3 TD's to 5 Int's. He's also only played in 5 1/2 games, not 7 - which is showing your bias.

It's not just blaming Marcus. Taylor and Davis each had one drop, and we want to blame the WRs, yet not blame the QB for taking points off the board with a bad INT before halftime.

There is a huge fit on the forums about we HAVE to find WRs because of the two drops we had as if the drops cost us the game and Mariota's INT didn't happen. 

The defense allowed 20 points in 2018. I think we're allowing like 18.8 points per game and that's third in the league? People continue to blame the defense despite the fact that all our offense has to do it put up an average number of points and we would win. That doesn't make those two plays any better, but the defense isn't costing us any games.

I don't really think 5.5 games vs 7 makes his stats look any better.

He had a better game, but we're still not scoring points, and adding a new WR doesn't just automatically fix that. A lot of it has to be improvements from Mariota and even Lafleur right now. At one point we had 3 red zone trips and came away with 6 points, and that was without any WR drops.

20 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

It's not just blaming Marcus. Taylor and Davis each had one drop, and we want to blame the WRs, yet not blame the QB for taking points off the board with a bad INT before halftime.

Who here hasn’t blamed Marcus for that?

There is a huge fit on the forums about we HAVE to find WRs because of the two drops we had as if the drops cost us the game and Mariota's INT didn't happen. 

That’s because it is infinitely easier to find WR’s than it is a QB.

The defense allowed 20 points in 2018. I think we're allowing like 18.8 points per game and that's third in the league? People continue to blame the defense despite the fact that all our offense has to do it put up an average number of points and we would win. That doesn't make those two plays any better, but the defense isn't costing us any games.

Giving up a 75 yard and 55 yard touchdown didn’t cost us the game? Ok then how did Marcus’ interception cost us the game?

I don't really think 5.5 games vs 7 makes his stats look any better.

0 way of proving that, especially because the injury would never have happened.

22 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

He had a better game, but we're still not scoring points, and adding a new WR doesn't just automatically fix that. A lot of it has to be improvements from Mariota and even Lafleur right now. At one point we had 3 red zone trips and came away with 6 points, and that was without any WR drops.

Again, nobody is saying a WR just magically fixes the entire offense. But if we can find a way to add one that’s reliable you don’t think that would help?

35 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Who here hasn’t blamed Marcus for that? That’s because it is infinitely easier to find WR’s than it is a QB.

Since the gameday thread, who is blaming him? True and false. WRs bust just as often as QBs these days and the majority of WRs that have success, are often tied to a more than competent QB. If it's so easy to find WRs, where have ours been since Mason?

Giving up a 75 yard and 55 yard touchdown didn’t cost us the game? Ok then how did Marcus’ interception cost us the game?

Okay then every time the defense allows the opponent to score they cost the the game? If we can't win 3-0 it's the defense's fault? They are third in the league in points allowed (18.8/game) and in 2018 holding a team to 20 points is good. Marcus and his offense aren't scoring points. Eyeball test aside, 19 points is not good and will not be good enough to win most games. That is on the offense.

Just like in the Buffalo game. The defense allowed 13 points. They did not lose us the game by allowing a FG on the final drive. The offense lost us the game by not mustering a damn touchdown the entire game.

0 way of proving that, especially because the injury would never have happened.

I was pointing out that you saying his stats are over 5.5 games and not over 7 games doesn't actually make his stats look better. They would look awful if he had only played in 3 games.

Again, nobody is saying a WR just magically fixes the entire offense. But if we can find a way to add one that’s reliable you don’t think that would help?

It might, but again the WRs were good outside of one drive (two drops) yesterday. Coaching and QB play has to be better in the first half. If we keep going in to halftime with 6 points or less, we're going to lose a lot of games. I don't see where a WR that another team doesn't want is going to come in and put more points on the board for us in the first half yesterday. Everyone wants to points to the drops as to why our offense is struggling. What about literally every other drive of that game?

It's not just on Mariota. The coaching the last 3 games has been bad. 

Towards the 2nd half I feel like we finally went more 3WR and less 2TE, and we looked a lot better. I feel like we did this a lot more often in the Eagles game and it's also the only other game we've had success on offense. 

When are the coaches going to figure out that our 21 personnel offense is god awful and use 11 personnel as the base?

Edited by TitanSS

1) Throughout the course of NFL history, it is much easier to find a good WR than it is a good QB.

2) My point was that you can point to the 75 yard or 55 yard touchdown being the difference in us losing the game the same way you can point Marcus’ interception as the reason for us losing the game, or even Succop’s missed field goal.

3) It absolutely does look awful. Still doesn’t change the context of his stats.

4) Maybe not in the first half but in the second half I can see where a WR that another team doesn’t want is going to come in and help us put more points on the board in multiple games this season. Just because a team doesn’t want a WR doesn’t mean he can’t be helpful to another team.

It is, but there aren't a lot of great WRs thriving with poor QB play right now.

And just because we add another WR doesn't mean it's going to improve our offense.

There is no excuse for not being able to score right now, with the players we have. Every single player on this offense has to be better, coaches not excluded.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

It's not just on Mariota. The coaching the last 3 games has been bad. 

Towards the 2nd half I feel like we finally went more 3WR and less 2TE, and we looked a lot better. I feel like we did this a lot more often in the Eagles game and it's also the only other game we've had success on offense. 

When are the coaches going to figure out that our 21 personnel offense is god awful and use 11 personnel as the base?

When Delanie is one of those TEs, he gives you the best of both worlds... one of the better receiving options, plus an outstanding blocker.  So the 21 personnel is more flexible and a good option.

But the lack of adjustment since Delanie went down is inexplicable.  I get that the talent level is not there at either position... for the 3rd WR and 2nd TE we're talking Taylor/Jennings v Jonnu/Stocker.  With our WRs not being the type to run out there 80+% of the snaps, we're looking at Jennings and Batson going out there for significant snaps and doing that circus all over again. 

I'll keep posting that Lewis needs to be put out there on the slot... that not only maximizes talent... but it gives you some creative options (I mean, who better to run those jet sweeps than an actual RB?!) Short of trading for some additional talent, that's what we've got.