Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

That was at least 45 more passing yards he could have added to the stat sheet.  Putting him over 300 yards passing. I only say that because some people are really into those stats.  
They said a phrase that really stuck out to me, "conservative passing attack." 
Our passing game is very conservative. It's not a spread or air it out attack. 

I remain in my stance that Marcus isn't the problem. He needs to show consistency but I think some of it is based on the inconsistent play of those around him.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 615finest said:

interesting article to read. 

I saw this and it spelled it out pretty clearly and plainly. I agree with most of everything he said. I think this system has a learning curve for Marcus. I know it's hard to accept for someone like me, who was fed the idea that Marcus was a very cerebral QB coming out of college. He was smart and didn't get the feeling that he would struggle to pick up any system.

But the truth is he does struggle. He doesn't trust his eyes, he hesitates and he stares down his receivers at times. I would love to see him in a system that is pretty much spread. But at the same time, he can't handle that type of offense that will expose him too much, if he doesn't get rid of the ball fast.

In the end though, he is good enough to keep, not bad enough to get rid of... The idea of trying to sign a FA isn't appealing. I know some of you love Bridgewater but I don't think he is that much better. 
I don't think the draft holds a sure enough answer. None of the QBs are outright #1 pick material and none are worth trading the future to get.
Marcus the QB for this franchise. Keep building around him. Keep putting good players around him. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I saw this and it spelled it out pretty clearly and plainly. I agree with most of everything he said. I think this system has a learning curve for Marcus. I know it's hard to accept for someone like me, who was fed the idea that Marcus was a very cerebral QB coming out of college. He was smart and didn't get the feeling that he would struggle to pick up any system.

But the truth is he does struggle. He doesn't trust his eyes, he hesitates and he stares down his receivers at times. I would love to see him in a system that is pretty much spread. But at the same time, he can't handle that type of offense that will expose him too much, if he doesn't get rid of the ball fast.

In the end though, he is good enough to keep, not bad enough to get rid of... The idea of trying to sign a FA isn't appealing. I know some of you love Bridgewater but I don't think he is that much better. 
I don't think the draft holds a sure enough answer. None of the QBs are outright #1 pick material and none are worth trading the future to get.
Marcus the QB for this franchise. Keep building around him. Keep putting good players around him. 

Exactly. I’d love to see him in another system but I think next year he’ll put up better numbers having been in the new offense and a full offseason. We’re better offer keeping Mariota and building on him then reaching for a QB in the draft and the FA class I’m nothing but backups based on the list. Mariota is our QB and I think he’s shown enough to be here 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Granted, when he first got in the league, I was more of the mindset that Chip Kelly needed Marcus and not the other way around, but I'm starting to wonder if Marcus getting back in that spread Oregon type of system is ultimately the key to his success.  It's hard to see him as a shell of his former self and second guessing almost everything that he sees.  It's so hard for me, because I was a Mariota guy through and through from his college days. His play took my breath away at Oregon, and I saw that Oregon guy his first 2 years or so in the league. That guy that wasn't just a "middle of the road" QB, but a guy that had the potential to be a top 10 QB, lead a high powered offense, and ultimately win a Super Bowl for us. I wanna believe that guy is still in there somewhere, but he hasn't looked genuinely comfortable in an offense for a long time now.  All I can hope is that LaFleur figured some things out and that he incorporated more concepts that Marcus is comfortable with over the bye.

Edited by SerenityNow

8 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’ll say it again, 1 good performance doesn’t make him the guy. Put multiple good performances in a row together and then talk. That’s been his issue his whole career. One good game doesn’t change that.

yeah, agreed. it was nice to finally see him ball out after some rough weeks, but consistency is key with mariota.

But at the same time, it will be performances like this that make it even harder to just let him walk. They aren't going to do that.  He is going to be the QB here. He is the guy. Don't mean he will be the unquestioned guy, free from any critics, but he is this generations McNair in my mind. Won't always be pretty but he is this franchise's QB. 

My opinion. 

• Like 1

We all know I've been on the Marcus has to play better for our offense to be better bandwagon, and I still am. I believe any offense is only going to go as far as the QB takes it. But the problem is you can't replace him. And I mean you could try, but you wouldn't be able to. We all know exactly what he is. We know what he can do, good and bad.

But we also know what it's like not to have him and just how bad it really can be. Even if you tried to replace him, you probably couldn't. Do we want to be the Bills drafting Josh Allen?

I think injuries could be the only thing that prevent him from getting another contract. Yeah, sometimes he can play pretty bad, but sometimes he can play like he did tonight. Most guys you actually could have a chance at replacing him with couldn't play like this tonight.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

We all know I've been on the Marcus has to play better for our offense to be better bandwagon, and I still am. I believe any offense is only going to go as far as the QB takes it. But the problem is you can't replace him. And I mean you could try, but you wouldn't be able to. We all know exactly what he is. We know what he can do, good and bad.

But we also know what it's like not to have him and just how bad it really can be. Even if you tried to replace him, you probably couldn't. Do we want to be the Bills drafting Josh Allen?

I think injuries could be the only thing that prevent him from getting another contract. Yeah, sometimes he can play pretty bad, but sometimes he can play like he did tonight. Most guys you actually could have a chance at replacing him with couldn't play like this tonight.

At the least, he would go the Cousins route if we don't offer a contract extension.  We won't let him just hit FA.  I don't see any way that is an option.  
We aren't going to trade for any QB that is worth anything worth while.
Are we going to "waste" an 1st round pick on a QB to be behind Marcus for "insurance" or to "push him." In my mind it would be an extreme waste of the draft capital everyone wants to protect. And would there be a QB worth picking where we are likely to be picking. (20ish).

Marcus is our QB. We need to build the team as best as we can to protect ourselves from his down moments and to match him when he is at his best. He is the QB. The QB play in this league is so...so...so inconsistent and hard to find, you don't get rid of someone that plays like he has tonight and in the past. 
Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield all flashed but have also all crashed. Do we really want to go through those lumps right when our roster might...might grow into a playoff roster. 

So I agree, you can't replace him.