Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

45 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Same as the Rams their offense runs through Gurley

It is a RB offense in my opinion. 

Gurley in LA. Freeman in ATL. All those Denver RBs in Shanahan's day. Alfred Morris in Washington. 

Without a running game this offense lacks explosion ( in my opinion). 

The big plays come off play action. Or run after the catch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

no that can't be. every single sack that Mariota took was his fault

The disclaimer would be that PFF doesn't track the cause of each sack. For example, I think they only assigned blame for like 6 of the sacks in Baltimore. 

Also how much does one value PFF. 

Lol information  tho. 

32 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

PFF is life.

18th best QB in the NFL according to them. 

I'm not a big PFF guy in the slightest, just think it's interesting that he's not listed anywhere on that list when GDT threads are clamoring that every sack is Mariota's fault. 

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm not a big PFF guy in the slightest, just think it's interesting that he's not listed anywhere on that list when GDT threads are clamoring that every sack is Mariota's fault. 

Literally no one has ever said. The interior sucks. Hell, I’ve said that for the past 3 years. However, if you think the 42 sacks were all on the OL or even close, you’re completely clueless. Mariota is at least responsible for a quarter of those.

43 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Literally no one has ever said. The interior sucks. Hell, I’ve said that for the past 3 years. However, if you think the 42 sacks were all on the OL or even close, you’re completely clueless. Mariota is at least responsible for a quarter of those.

Responsible for at least a quarter of those based on what? The all-22 film? Because apparently the all-22 film is saying otherwise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Responsible for at least a quarter of those based on what? The all-22 film? Because apparently the all-22 film is saying otherwise.

So you trust PFFs assignment of blame for a sack statistic, but not their grading which is based of off their own statistics? I don't trust anything they do, just curious why anyone would trust what the All-22 tells PFF about one thing but not another?

I obviously can't put a number on how many Mariota was responsible for, and a gameday live reaction isn't going to be anywhere near accurate, but if I had to take anyone's interpretation of the All-22, Greg Cosell often says that Mariota frequently "creates his own pressure". 

But yes, the OL was absolute **** this year and didn't make it any easier on him.

I will say that PFF had Nick Chubb leading the NFL in yards per carry after contact.

NFL Matchup on ESPN (with Cosell) has Derrick Henry leading that same category and Chubb is actually third.

Their stats are definitely not definitive of anything.

Sometimes they release grades mere minutes after games end. I don't think the All-22 is even available to them at that point.

57 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I will say that PFF had Nick Chubb leading the NFL in yards per carry after contact.

NFL Matchup on ESPN (with Cosell) has Derrick Henry leading that same category and Chubb is actually third.

Their stats are definitely not definitive of anything.

Sometimes they release grades mere minutes after games end. I don't think the All-22 is even available to them at that point.

Exactly. Hell, they release halftime grades like wtf... PFF is a joke

PFF Grade/Rankings of Mariota through 4 seasons:

2015 - 63.5 (30th of 38 qualifiers)

2016 - 66.8 (25/39)

2017 - 76.2 (14/42)

2018 - 76.8 (17/36)

2016 was his best statistical season, but they showed growth last year... and showed he took a small step back this year.  There's a few QBs that I'd rate him higher than, but 17th is a fair assessment of him this year (personally, I'd take Mariota over Dalton [12th] and Stafford [16th] and even Cousins [14th]... and I'm not convinced Goff [8th] or Watson [11th] are clearly better than him going forward)

Anyway, personal opinion aside... and using PFF's grading system... what do you expect/want to see from Mariota next year?  I know most have come out to say that even if he makes a significant jump, you'd prefer to use the tag to make him repeat it (although, looking it at from the FO's point of view, the tag will be a last recourse).  Will a jump from the mid teens to the top 10-12 area be enough for you?  For the record, Ryan was 10th this year with an 84.3 PFF grade. 

Additional notes can be found here in PFF's article, but here is a quick synopsis of the rankings and grades.  I know many have issues with their grading/process... but these QB rankings seem pretty fair and on point for the most part:

1. Brees, 94.7
  2. Mahomes, 93.2
  3. Luck, 91.1
  4. Rivers, 90.8
  5. Brady, 90.7
  6. Rodgers, 89.9
  7. Wilson, 87.2
  8. Goff, 85.5
  9. Mayfield, 84.5
  10. Ryan, 84.3
  11. Watson, 82.6
  12. Dalton, 81.9