Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

The Mularkey has certainly been the best offense Mariota's been in... So far... In the NFL. Let's not forget there were a few of us who were actually happy with Mularkey and wanted him to stay... But we also knew we needed an upgrade at OC with those in game decisions and duties (play calling, in game adjustments, etc). Mularkey's offense was ok, it was Robiskie's execution of it that was lacking... And that was proven further when Mariota took the reigns towards the end of the season and the offense started clicking better. 

But we still don't know how he'd be in a quicker hitting rhythm style offense. I still think the Shanahan/Lafleur offense woulda been successful in year 2...it just took longer to click than most of us expected as we weren't in sync and we lost too many pieces early on. There is a slight glimmer of hope right now with Shanahan suddenly available... Although still unlikely. 

Anyway, the pressure % going from 30 to 35 (from 6th best to 12th worst) is also pretty significant. That's not Mariota taking sacks, that's the oline giving up pressure. Add Mariota's hesitation, lack of trust, etc, and it's easy to see the regression to some of the offensive numbers. 

His injuries also definitely affected him this year. He missed the most time since his rookie year... But ot wasn't only the missed time... the nerve issues lingered, was recurrent and affected him most of the season. 

I think we can all agree that he hasn't progressed to the point we've wanted him to after 4 years. Injuries, continuity, surrounding cast, etc have all played a role. 

I'm almost to the point of thinking maybe an internal promotion may be best (continuity for not only Mariota, but the rest of the offense)... While at the same time giving Mariota more freedom/control with play calling and general say in the offense. We know he's smart enough to do this... And is not a selfish pick who'll be calling plays to pad his stats.  I honestly think he could do it. The risk of course is what happens if he gets hurt again. Would Kaepernick be able to do the same? (with Mariota assisting from the sidelines of course). 

I'm not there yet... But almost... Maybe... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

The Mularkey has certainly been the best offense Mariota's been in... So far... In the NFL. Let's not forget there were a few of us who were actually happy with Mularkey and wanted him to stay... But we also knew we needed an upgrade at OC with those in game decisions and duties (play calling, in game adjustments, etc). Mularkey's offense was ok, it was Robiskie's execution of it that was lacking... And that was proven further when Mariota took the reigns towards the end of the season and the offense started clicking better. 

But we still don't know how he'd be in a quicker hitting rhythm style offense. I still think the Shanahan/Lafleur offense woulda been successful in year 2...it just took longer to click than most of us expected as we weren't in sync and we lost too many pieces early on. There is a slight glimmer of hope right now with Shanahan suddenly available... Although still unlikely. 

Anyway, the pressure % going from 30 to 35 (from 6th best to 12th worst) is also pretty significant. That's not Mariota taking sacks, that's the oline giving up pressure. Add Mariota's hesitation, lack of trust, etc, and it's easy to see the regression to some of the offensive numbers. 

His injuries also definitely affected him this year. He missed the most time since his rookie year... But ot wasn't only the missed time... the nerve issues lingered, was recurrent and affected him most of the season. 

I think we can all agree that he hasn't progressed to the point we've wanted him to after 4 years. Injuries, continuity, surrounding cast, etc have all played a role. 

I'm almost to the point of thinking maybe an internal promotion may be best (continuity for not only Mariota, but the rest of the offense)... While at the same time giving Mariota more freedom/control with play calling and general say in the offense. We know he's smart enough to do this... And is not a selfish pick who'll be calling plays to pad his stats.  I honestly think he could do it. The risk of course is what happens if he gets hurt again. Would Kaepernick be able to do the same? (with Mariota assisting from the sidelines of course). 

I'm not there yet... But almost... Maybe... 

I don't think we need to promote from inside to ensure some continuity. I've seen this argument on twitter and it makes a lot of sense. Vrabel is a defensive minded coach. They will always ask to be able to run the ball effectively and often enough. It also fits with Robinson's philosophy of building the team, so far. So that part I hardly think will change anytime soon. It's why I think someone like DeFilippo makes, frankly, no sense coming here, knowing he was fired for not running the ball often enough. And it's hard to believe that at this point Mariota will lose the see-it-throw-it stigma for good. It's not a bad thing, it just means that whoever comes next to call plays won't be able to make much of a change as to how things are being run. And frankly, it's probably for the best.

I think both Mularkey's and LaFleur's systems were pretty similar. Both run heavy, both intending to pick their shots down the field carefully, often with a limited number of receivers running them. I just think that LaFleur was better at scheming and designing those shots, although that's not necessarily reflected in the offensive numbers. And I would also expect a variation of the same system in place for next year too. I think it's what Vrabel/Robinson would ask for in an OC, and very arguably what's needed too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but I want a new QB. Marcus simply can't be relied on consistently. 

Nothing to get blasted over. It's your view. We all don't feel that way. But it's cool if you think that.

Are you feeling this on play, injuries or both?

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Nothing to get blasted over. It's your view. We all don't feel that way. But it's cool if you think that.

Are you feeling this on play, injuries or both?

Mostly injuries. If he could stay healthy, I think he could be much more consistent. Just don't have much confidence in him staying healthy. I truly hope I am wrong. .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I only got through the first 15 minutes of that do far... But the biggest conclusion I can up with after watching that is that Spain needs to be replaced. At least half the plays Mariota is flushed or sacked, it's from his man. He's freaking horrible. 

I think all three interior OL need to be replaced 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I think all three interior OL need to be replaced 

I mean yeah, Jones and Kline get pushed back from time to time... But Spain is at fault for at least half this pressures in that by video (first 15 minutes or so). 

Upgrade that position and that alone is huge. Bring in some competition for the other 2 spots and that's even better. A middle tier FA and a highish draft pick is what I'm looking at... Spain is replaced and there is an open competition at those other 2 spots. 

12 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I just finished watching up to Chargers game. 

It's only the 3rd downs. But I saw a few missed reads. 

They show the play twice in this all-22. I watch the receivers then I watch the line on the second angle. 

And this is not about Marcus but our WRs didn't get much separation. Lot of those throws looked like it hurt to get there. They looked slow in their routes. And I wasn't a fan of a lot of the route combos. Felt like one guy could cover two sometimes. 

Maybe he was trying to flood the zones. 

So bad execution in a lot of them. Bad blocking. Bad routes. Bad design. Bad read/throw. 

Offense was definitely a work in progress and not a well oiled machine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I only got through the first 15 minutes of that do far... But the biggest conclusion I can up with after watching that is that Spain needs to be replaced. At least half the plays Mariota is flushed or sacked, it's from his man. He's freaking horrible. 

Absolutely. Spain a liability and Conklin looks like he’s playing on one leg and with ice skates on. Bad stuff.

And with the behind the line of scrimmage perspective, Marcus looks like he’s shuffling for his life 1/2 the time. Interior O-Line needs an upgrade gahhh

Edited by Mariota615TN
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

Mostly injuries. If he could stay healthy, I think he could be much more consistent. Just don't have much confidence in him staying healthy. I truly hope I am wrong. .

It's what I've said for years now. Marcus isn't great by any stretch, but he is good enough to win with. A team that has Mariota at QB can absolutely win a super bowl...if he stays healthy. Build a great defense and be capable of protecting your QB and you can win with a wide variety of QBs in this league. Even having a great QB doesn't mean you win a ton of games. Look at the Saints who with Drew Brees have made the playoffs 7 times but also missed it 5..including 3 straight years from 14-16, because despite him putting up god-like numbers, their defense couldn't stop anyone, their run game was inconsistent at best. Now? They have Ingram and Kamara, have a great o-line, and their D isn't elite or anything but it's solid. Look at the Packers with Rodgers this year, guy might be the most talented QB of all time, still couldn't win much this year.

I can deal with the games where Mariota looks lost. It's gonna happen sometimes in this league, and while it may happen more often with him than it would a top tier QB, you can live with it. I can't deal with him constantly being hurt. And while he may not miss a ton more games than the average QB in this league, his injuries tend to impact him even when he does return.

It's gonna really suck if it turns out Mariota can't shake this injury bug. He's the first QB we've had since Steve that is consistently good enough to win with(shout out to Collins in 08 but speaking long term here), and it's looking like it's not gonna matter cause of how often he's hurt.

• Like 3