Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

I still believe that a healthy Mariota with an offense built to play to his strengths is a supremely talented QB that could take us all the way.  Unless things go really south this year I'm not giving up on him. Whether that means a team friendly extension that we can technically get out of year to year or a Franchise tag next year. I still think he has a special skillset for a QB that doesn't come around often, and I'll be a Mariota guy all the way to the end. I just pray that he can find a way to stay healthy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 10:27 AM, SerenityNow said:

I still believe that a healthy Mariota with an offense built to play to his strengths is a supremely talented QB that could take us all the way.  Unless things go really south this year I'm not giving up on him. Whether that means a team friendly extension that we can technically get out of year to year or a Franchise tag next year. I still think he has a special skillset for a QB that doesn't come around often, and I'll be a Mariota guy all the way to the end. I just pray that he can find a way to stay healthy.

I believe in the guy. I have said it here before that we need to use him like a game manager but one who has the ability to take over as a superstar qb at anytime. Marcus and pic apart a defense methodically all day in the short/intermidiate game.  I also dont think it was a coincidence that he had his best year when this team had the 3rd rank rushing attack. His college teams were also very good on the ground. If he plays 16 games and that offense comes together, 25 passing td's isn't out of the question.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

the second we put Marcus in a position to succeed, he will succeed

From Cory Curtis, a local spots reporter. 

Let me start by saying I am a Mariota believer.

I think Marcus Mariota is a good NFL quarterback who is at his best in the clutch and wins games.

Do I think he's Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc... No, but I do believe he's better than what we've seen for a variety of reasons.  

An unbelievably subpar WR corps.

Let's turn back the clock and take a look at his top 3 WR's each season.  Please, sit down, prepare yourself, please keep a bag or bucket close... You may need it.

2015 - Congrats rookie!!!
Kendall Wright - 36 Rec. 408 Yards 3 TD's
Harry Douglas - 36 Rec. 411 Yards 2 TD's
Dorial Green Beckham 32 Rec. 549 Yards 4 TD's

I believe all of them are out of the league and this Ken Whisenhunt creation is not the way any rookie QB needs to start his career.

2016 - 1 legitmate starter
Rishard Matthews - 69 Rec. 945 Yards 9 TD's
Tajae Sharpe - 41 Rec. 522 Yards 2 TD's
Kendall Wright - 29 Rec. 416 Yards 3 TD's

The Titans added Rishard Matthews in the off season and you see the difference he made.  Actual numbers and production.  The Titans #3 had 29 catches.  OMG that's horrific!!!!

2017 - They tried... Just not hard enough
Rishard Matthews - 53 Rec. 795 Yards 4 TD's
Eric Decker - 54 Rec. 563 Yards 1 TD
Corey Davis - 34 Rec. 375 Yards 0 TD's

They brought in 2 new players and thought they had it.  What they had was Decker 1 year too late and a rookie who struggled with injuries all year and only started 9 games.  Still not close to having enough depth to handle an injury or a player under performing.

2018 - Wrong Direction!!!
Corey Davis - 65 Rec. 891 Yards 4 TD's
Taywan Taylor - 37 rec. 466 Yards TD
Tajae Sharpe - 26 Rec. 316 Yards

Davis had a step up year, but he was the only legitimate NFL starter they had.  Matthews quit.  Taywan Taylor is simply not ready to be a consistent performer and I doubt he ever will be.  Sharpe couldn't stay healthy and once again the totals for their 2 and 3 are embarrassing.  Nick Williams dropped a game winning TD pass and got cut.  We saw guys who we could debate even their existence on NFL rosters getting extensive playing time.... 

You can partially blame Mariota for the numbers... I'm sure there's room for that, but at some point a quarterback has to have targets who can get open, catch the ball and make some plays with it.  Mariota has not been afforded that basic NFL necessity.

Until now.

• Like 3

I will say that anytime there’s been a consistent and talented receiving threat Mariota has produced: Delanie, Matthews, Davis, Lewis. That’s all he’s really had over his 4 year career. I guess you could throw Demarco in there before he became washed in 2017.

• Like 1

honestly, the good news is that the team as a whole is in so much better of a place than in 2015 that if mariota disappoints this year, we can afford to sell the farm to trade up for a blue-chip QB. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, -Hope- said:

honestly, the good news is that the team as a whole is in so much better of a place than in 2015 that if mariota disappoints this year, we can afford to sell the farm to trade up for a blue-chip QB. 

And then promptly force him into an offense suited for 1982. Seriously, if I was a QB or WR, I'd probably refuse to play for this franchise lol 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShupacTakur said:

And then promptly force him into an offense suited for 1982. Seriously, if I was a QB or WR, I'd probably refuse to play for this franchise lol 

Mariota or not, this offense is going to be built to run the ball.  

The question will be, will we have Marcus run it or will we draft a rookie or a vet like Tannehill to run it.   
Whoever the QB is, they will likely top out at about 3200-3300 yards 20ish TDs.

Just don't see this team with the staff we have ever being an air it out offense.  

25 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The question will be, will we have Marcus run it or will we draft a rookie or a vet like Tannehill to run it.   

Just don't see this team with the staff we have ever being an air it out offense.  

Having the QB run is idiotic, so yes, I'm sure we will probably continue right along down that path. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

And we'll continue not winning the Super Bowl

31 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

And we'll continue not winning the Super Bowl

I think the best hope for the franchise is that we have a defense that makes plays and ends up in top 5. Then we have an offense that scores consistently.  
If we had last year defense to go along with 2nd year Marcuse offense, where we were pretty much automatic in redzone, we could have maybe made a real run.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another point.....

Name me the WR/TE/Offensive weapon that we've had and that person didn't produce. 

When there was a healthy Delaine, he had 94, 65 and 74 receptions. Pro Bowl TE. 
Last year Delaine's 74 Receptions the year before was more than all the TE's combined.  

Point being, when he has good players, he has helped those players produce.  
Robinson got some good players around him this off-season. 
We won't start a game with Batson and Nick Williams.  

I am very optimistic that we will see Marcus' best season.