Jump to content
FutureIsWhite

Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just another point.....

Name me the WR/TE/Offensive weapon that we've had and that person didn't produce. 

When there was a healthy Delaine, he had 94, 65 and 74 receptions. Pro Bowl TE. 
Last year Delaine's 74 Receptions the year before was more than all the TE's combined.  

Point being, when he has good players, he has helped those players produce.  
Robinson got some good players around him this off-season. 
We won't start a game with Batson and Nick Williams.  

I am very optimistic that we will see Marcus' best season. 

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Adding AJ Brown and Adam Humphries definitely puts the WR corps leagues ahead of where they were last year, and having a healthy Walker actually gives us a good looking group of playmakers overall.  Saffold and Davis should make for an improved OL.  Should.

Defense worries me a bit, but only because of injuries and age.  Landry and Evans looked great in limited time, but both had injury issues, and Casey had a late injury as well, and then there's Vacarro's history.  I'm fairly certain we'll see improvement from Malcolm Butler, but I don't know how much.

Of course, the thing that worries me the most is the SOS.  Of course, it will change by the time we're two weeks into the season, but it looks tough right now.  It'll make it hard to earn a wild card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need Wilkerson or Suh the DL has 0 inside pass rush aside from Cassey, if some happens to him we’re done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

We need Wilkerson or Suh the DL has 0 inside pass rush aside from Cassey, if some happens to him we’re done 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

We need Wilkerson or Suh the DL has 0 inside pass rush aside from Cassey, if some happens to him we’re done 

I'm thinking they're comfortable where they are, considering the price tag that would come with any of the remaining contributors on the open market.  Dickerson, Urban, or Bledsoe might provide something, and Simmons will be a big contributor once he's healthy in the back half of the season.  Defensive line depth will be a big need next season though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The whole situation with Marcus and is it time is so frustrating to me.  When Marcus is 100% healthy and YES that is a big when and he has capable weapons Marcus has performed at a top ten plus level.  

But of course he plays a ton of games hurt and when hurt Marcus is more of a bottom ten QB at best.   Thus it all comes down to can he produce at his normal level with out getting hurt a big question.   Last year he got hurt in what I considered a illegal hit by the D who targeted him but hey it was one of those run options so he’s putting himself at risk     What I want to see is how the mesh Marcus -  Derick - and all the WR weapons we have work out.

So far Marcus has not been consistent passing regularly from the pocket but that might change with more polished receivers including Walker. I still think the key will be can we get 12-13 games of 100% Marcus especially at the end of the year

Edited by quiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

This the other extreme of Mariota evaluations.

He's not as good as Cian thinks he is, and he's not as bad as the box score scouting general NFL fan thinks he is.

I've said it a billion times, but he's an average to slightly above average QB when he's healthy and he's good enough to win with. Only problem is he can't stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TitanLegend said:

This the other extreme of Mariota evaluations.

He's not as good as Cian thinks he is, and he's not as bad as the box score scouting general NFL fan thinks he is.

I've said it a billion times, but he's an average to slightly above average QB when he's healthy and he's good enough to win with. Only problem is he can't stay healthy.

I think he still has the potential to be good to very good, we’ve just done such a bad job of giving him a chance to truly develop. Three head coaches, terrible receivers, not great line play, five million offensive coordinators.

I have confidence he could succeed in a real way this year. Or he’ll get hurt again. Which will forever be my biggest hesitation with paying him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But yes, Cian’s love is on another level. Though I always appreciate the gifs and the reminders of just how abysmal our receivers were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A scenario I've been kind of haunted by over the last several weeks is what do we do if Marcus has another catastrophic injury similar to 2016 where he's playing great, the team is on track to make the playoffs, and he goes down with a bad injury late in the season again? Do we franchise tag him at that point, and keep playing the "we've seen what he can do when he's healthy" game, or do we just cut our losses and move on? I want him to be our long term Franchise QB more than anything, but whatever happens this year, I just hope it's a clear cut decision one way or the other. I hope he either stays healthy all year and balls out, or we know very early in the season that we're moving on.  There's people that say if he gets hurt again move on period, but that logic gets a little murky to me if we're on our way to winning the division/making the playoffs, and he goes down late in the season again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

A scenario I've been kind of haunted by over the last several weeks is what do we do if Marcus has another catastrophic injury similar to 2016 where he's playing great, the team is on track to make the playoffs, and he goes down with a bad injury late in the season again? Do we franchise tag him at that point, and keep playing the "we've seen what he can do when he's healthy" game, or do we just cut our losses and move on? I want him to be our long term Franchise QB more than anything, but whatever happens this year, I just hope it's a clear cut decision one way or the other. I hope he either stays healthy all year and balls out, or we know very early in the season that we're moving on.  There's people that say if he gets hurt again move on period, but that logic gets a little murky to me if we're on our way to winning the division/making the playoffs, and he goes down late in the season again.

If he's playing well and that happens, what the team will do is either try and get him to sign a deal that's team friendly, or they'll franchise him, because letting a QB who is playing well go isn't something an NFL franchise is going to do.

What should happen is letting him go. Because in this day and age, you can't go from having Neil O'Donnell to Billy Volek to Kerry Collins as your backup QBs like we could do with our injury prone QBs McNair and Young. Because when they step in and play at a decent level, some other team is gonna see that and say "hey we want that guy on our team, and we want him to start" just because of how QB starved teams are. And they'll either offer them more money in FA than you can justify spending, or they'll offer you a trade you don't want to refuse(and you also don't want to deny a player a chance to go start somewhere else, it looks bad on the franchise and it's likely to upset your other players).

So the only way I think they SHOULD keep Mariota if he suffers another bad injury is if Tannehill agrees to sign on as backup for the long term, because Tannehill can offer you decent enough QB play as a backup to justify having a good but ridiculously injury prone starter, just like O'Donnell, Volek and Collins could for McNair and Young(well Young didn't end up meeting the good criteria..but looked like he was going to early on).

Any other scenario that involves keeping Mariota despite getting hurt again is one I can't support(this could change obviously if they somehow got another really good backup QB on board, but the chances of getting that aren't high in this league).

Edited by TitanLegend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

A scenario I've been kind of haunted by over the last several weeks is what do we do if Marcus has another catastrophic injury similar to 2016 where he's playing great, the team is on track to make the playoffs, and he goes down with a bad injury late in the season again? Do we franchise tag him at that point, and keep playing the "we've seen what he can do when he's healthy" game, or do we just cut our losses and move on? I want him to be our long term Franchise QB more than anything, but whatever happens this year, I just hope it's a clear cut decision one way or the other. I hope he either stays healthy all year and balls out, or we know very early in the season that we're moving on.  There's people that say if he gets hurt again move on period, but that logic gets a little murky to me if we're on our way to winning the division/making the playoffs, and he goes down late in the season again.

If he plays well, just franchise him regardless. Even if he doesn’t get hurt and has a career year, he shouldn’t be getting a big contract. Do it again and then they should talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

If he plays well, just franchise him regardless. Even if he doesn’t get hurt and has a career year, he shouldn’t be getting a big contract. Do it again and then they should talk.

Agreed, but it won’t happen. If he has even a decent year statistically (3500 yards and 22-23+ TDs) and stays healthy, I think he gets a new contract, especially if the team has a good year; although I wouldn’t expect the new deal to be outrageous in such a scenario. 

...Unless we do something crazy like win the super bowl and he has an impressive playoff run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cian as always is way too strong with the mariota hype, but there’s one thing he says that i agree with without reservation- if mariota had come into the nfl and been put into an andy reid/doug pederson offense, he would (barring injury) be a star. there is very little doubt in my mind of this. the degree to which we have played against his strengths and into his weaknesses is embarrassing. it’s why as much as mularkey did to get our roster from dumpster fire to decent, i will always maintain that his hiring was a massive mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, -Hope- said:

cian as always is way too strong with the mariota hype, but there’s one thing he says that i agree with without reservation- if mariota had come into the nfl and been put into an andy reid/doug pederson offense, he would (barring injury) be a star. there is very little doubt in my mind of this. the degree to which we have played against his strengths and into his weaknesses is embarrassing. it’s why as much as mularkey did to get our roster from dumpster fire to decent, i will always maintain that his hiring was a massive mistake.

this sums Mariota up in a nutshell

if we end up moving on from him for whatever reason, he will succeed wherever he goes next if he stays healthy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×