Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

Until Watson stops having success there's really no point in comparing the two. If Watson was unsuccessful and people liked him and not Mariota, you could make that argument.

Unless you're watching over half of the Texans games, every play not highlights, there's no way to know what progressions he's going through on a regular basis. Him having talent on his team doesn't really matter in the Mariota argument as it doesn't excuse Mariota from his performance with our talent.

18 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Until Watson stops having success there's really no point in comparing the two. If Watson was unsuccessful and people liked him and not Mariota, you could make that argument.

Unless you're watching over half of the Texans games, every play not highlights, there's no way to know what progressions he's going through on a regular basis. Him having talent on his team doesn't really matter in the Mariota argument as it doesn't excuse Mariota from his performance with our talent.

Not comparing the two but statistically they are closer than many may know through their first two years. 

They have distinguishable differences. But are plagued by similar negatives. In my eyes. 

You can watch every game and not know what the progression was. People were hammering Marcus for not seeing Davis after the game. It wasn't until yesterday that it started to float around that he actually made the right read. Bad throw. 

But from what I've seen in the games and game cutups, when he lets it loose within say 2 seconds it's always looking one way. Maybe he is making the right pre snap read. Thats an unknown. 

But when I personally see him scramble or get sack it's because he looked one way and didn't have it. 

Again this is me and my underqualified self. It's what I think and what makes me feel like Watson isn't all that media pumps him up to be. 

Mahomes, yeah he the man. 

46 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Not comparing the two but statistically they are closer than many may know through their first two years. 

They have distinguishable differences. But are plagued by similar negatives. In my eyes. 

You can watch every game and not know what the progression was. People were hammering Marcus for not seeing Davis after the game. It wasn't until yesterday that it started to float around that he actually made the right read. Bad throw. 

But from what I've seen in the games and game cutups, when he lets it loose within say 2 seconds it's always looking one way. Maybe he is making the right pre snap read. Thats an unknown. 

But when I personally see him scramble or get sack it's because he looked one way and didn't have it. 

Again this is me and my underqualified self. It's what I think and what makes me feel like Watson isn't all that media pumps him up to be. 

Mahomes, yeah he the man. 

Mahomes is A God Watson the man 

Unfortunately, I don't think this fanbase won't be happy until he is gone. .

Meaning we could win and he can play well but ultimately he will do something bad and the ones that like him will defend him and the ones that don't will scream to have him gone. 

It won't be somewhat unified until there is someone new in the seat and they will be so bad or so good we will be one side, instead of no man's land. 

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Meaning we could win and he can play well but ultimately he will do something bad and the ones that like him will defend him and the ones that don't will scream to have him gone. 

It won't be somewhat unified until there is someone new in the seat and they will be so bad or so good we will be one side, instead of no man's land. 

He's played poorly for 3 years now and he's not trending up. It's not just our fans with their biased opinions who think we can do better.

The opinion outside of Tennessee is that he's so bad that a good preseason game from Tannehill could possibly see him benched. Obviously, I don't agree with that logic, but that is the national unbiased opinion of him. Even the people here who think he's done, like myself, think more highly of him than the national opinion.

He's been bad for 3 consecutive seasons now with no reason outside of blind faith to believe he's going to turn it around, because you sure can't come to that conclusion with anything he's consistently put on film in 3 years.

Prior to the season I was willing to give him a chance based on the assumption that last years injury severely limited him, but that doesn't look even remotely true through 2 games.

Edited by TitanSS

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

He's going to need a 99 McNair type playoff run, at this point.

2 hours ago, TitanSS said:

He's played poorly for 3 years now and he's not trending up. It's not just our fans with their biased opinions who think we can do better.

The opinion outside of Tennessee is that he's so bad that a good preseason game from Tannehill could possibly see him benched. Obviously, I don't agree with that logic, but that is the national unbiased opinion of him. Even the people here who think he's done, like myself, think more highly of him than the national opinion.

He's been bad for 3 consecutive seasons now with no reason outside of blind faith to believe he's going to turn it around, because you sure can't come to that conclusion with anything he's consistently put on film in 3 years.

Prior to the season I was willing to give him a chance based on the assumption that last years injury severely limited him, but that doesn't look even remotely true through 2 games.

Well again. This reaffirms my statement. 

We can go to the playoffs and win a game or two but that loss and him maybe not playing great will start the cycle all over again.  

Others who feel like you aren't really gonna be comfortable or satisfied with him at QB based on what you have seen from him. You think he is what he is for the reasons spoken before and your not wrong for feeling that. 

Sidenote I do wish that those that do see the positives about him  or negatives weren't made to be villians idiots naysayers or homers. 

But anyway like I said until he is either gone or great this will be how it is. 

This thread might go on for 2 more years lol 

10 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

What happened 😩🤤🗣Damn you 

The hilarious part is most of these TD passes are to the first or second read(or in some cases there's only 2  real routes on the field)

People are having a fit because Mariota played like crap on Sunday, but the Mariota you see in this video is the same healthy Mariota we got week 1 of this year, and the same healthy Mariota we got in 2017 and 2018(when he actually was healthy).

People seem to forget last year, coming off the bye where Mariota was reasonably healthy, he had back to back games where he posted a 69.8% completion percentage, 8.8 ypa, 7.5% TD%(4 total) and 0 ints. That was against two top ten defenses of last season in the Cowboys and Patriots. He then preceded to get hurt again in the Indianapolis game. Given the level of competition, that two game stretch is probably more impressive than anything he ever did in 2016, because who he beat up on in 2016 to stat pad were largely garbage teams.

The difference in 2016 and 17/18/19 is the o-line was better(and we also kept more in to block on average) on top of the fact that defenses had to fear the run, and unlike what we did Sunday vs the Colts, Mularkey usually stuck with the run, especially when it was working, and Mariota's health.

If we just run Henry more on Sunday we're not even having this panicked conversation about what Mariota is or isn't because we'd have won the game and Mariota would have had an unspectacular/average day. Wouldn't have had the 4th quarter failures that compounded everything.

Mariota is the same average QB he's always been, and I think the sooner people come to grips with that instead of trying to boxscore scout 2016 like it was something special from him, the better off they'll be.

People are way too excited about what he was in 2016, and are drastically overreacting to him having a bad game on Sunday.

If you were happy with what he was in 2016 you should be happy with what he is now, with the only distinction being 2016 Mariota was a healthy Mariota(well..til week 16 anyway), and what we got the last 2 years largely hasn't been. But from a pure mechanics/level of play/etc stand point when healthy? Same dude.

I completely understand people who want to move on from having an average QB in Mariota. But let's stop acting like he was every anything but that, and lets stop acting like Sunday's performance is the end of him ever playing a decent game again.

• Like 2

The two games you mentioned last year were impressive given the circumstances. Even the second half in the Eagles game. He doesn't play to that level near enough though.

The people who were happy with him in 2016 probably didn't think their 22 year old QB had peaked in terms of his level of play. It's also not like people watching games live are able to tell what his reads were without pausing and rewinding. The media has stepped up their game with the All-22 clips and articles they're cutting up and putting out there making certain things more apparent to those who didn't use that until the last year or so.

None of us are scouting Mariota in any sense, box-score or otherwise. We're watching the games live. Without rewinding or looking at the stat sheet you can get a feel for a player when you watch 4+ years of games. I don't think the same is true for players in year 1 or 2, which is why I'm often hesitant to say any young QB not named Mahommes is special. 

Edited by TitanSS

12 hours ago, TitanSS said:

The two games you mentioned last year were impressive given the circumstances. Even the second half in the Eagles game. He doesn't play to that level near enough though.

The people who were happy with him in 2016 probably didn't think their 22 year old QB had peaked in terms of his level of play. It's also not like people watching games live are able to tell what his reads were without pausing and rewinding. The media has stepped up their game with the All-22 clips and articles they're cutting up and putting out there making certain things more apparent to those who didn't use that until the last year or so.

None of us are scouting Mariota in any sense, box-score or otherwise. We're watching the games live. Without rewinding or looking at the stat sheet you can get a feel for a player when you watch 4+ years of games. I don't think the same is true for players in year 1 or 2, which is why I'm often hesitant to say any young QB not named Mahommes is special. 

Lots of truth here. I personally think the biggest difference between Mariota now and Mariota in 2016 is that his confidence has been utterly shattered. 

• Like 2