Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

From an outsider's perspective (although a closet Titans fan, however I've invested my 30 years into being disappointed by the Redskins and I can't escape it) it just looks like your offense is dated. I watched that game last night and others, I like Mariota a lot but my god it feels like there's unused space on the field. When I say that I mean everything is close to where all the action is. It's not a good mixup overall because it can potentially stall your running game too since Henry is such a big fella and going through the middle is a strength. Coordinators don't even have to scheme for the Titans because it feels like everything mostly happens so tightly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

From an outsider's perspective (although a closet Titans fan, however I've invested my 30 years into being disappointed by the Redskins and I can't escape it) it just looks like your offense is dated. I watched that game last night and others, I like Mariota a lot but my god it feels like there's unused space on the field. When I say that I mean everything is close to where all the action is. It's not a good mixup overall because it can potentially stall your running game too since Henry is such a big fella and going through the middle is a strength. Coordinators don't even have to scheme for the Titans because it feels like everything mostly happens so tightly.

Wait...are you suggesting that there’s not actually a rule in place that every offensive player needs to be within 15 yards of every other offensive player?

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Wait...are you suggesting that there’s not actually a rule in place that every offensive player needs to be within 15 yards of every other offensive player?

It may come as a surprise, but they call them Wide Receivers not because of their body girth. This is a shock, I know.

• Like 1

This is exactly why when LaFleur left for GB I desperately wanted us to bring in Mark Helfrich to run the exact same spread Oregon system that Marcus ran in college. There have been 5 years worth of offensive systems and concepts put into place for Marcus that don't fit his skill set and Arthur Smith was a part of every single one of those staffs in one form or another. Marcus is not an "I'm not going to do that" type of a player even if it's a concept he's clearly not comfortable with. I wanted Mark Helfrich in here, because I wanted to leave no stone unturned when it came to Marcus, and finally see if bringing him back to his college roots of uptempo/spread concepts could save him here. Now, we'll never know for sure and always have that "what if" question of "what if" we actually ran an up tempo offense that played to his strengths?

Marcus has struggled a ton here, and a lot of that is on him, but let's be clear... Our coaching staffs completely mismanaged him and never put him in the type of offense he needed to succeed. Is that an indictment on him to an extent that he's struggled succeeding in more pro style offenses? Sure, but I still believe there was a scenario where if we just make the correct OC hire at some point along the way here, and truly brought him back to his Oregon roots he could've been the QB that we drafted, and the guy we were all hoping he would be. Especially in today's NFL that is adapting to more college/spread style concepts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, titanrick said:

Hard pass on any retreads (Carr).  If Marcus can't turn this season around, I think we spend a #1 on QB next year (trade up if we have to) and keep Tannehill around to mentor him.

Agreed.  I'd try to re-sign Mariota to a very team friendly contract if possible, because you can't make your draft one-dimensional.  Tannehill if not, and try to get a QB if you don't have to gash yourself to do it (or force yourself to grab a QB that's a reach).

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Outside opinion from a Marcus Mariota fan or whatever you want to call him. He is from Oregon. 

I mean, it seems to me like Mariota is a good chunk of the blame, but faaaaar from all of it.  The interior OL is terrible (we need Lewan and one of Davis/Pamphile back asap), plenty of other players made mistakes (Adoree obviously, but Derrick Henry dropped what should have been an easy catch for a ton of yards), and there was a lot of bad play calling (going for it on fourth instead of just taking points, runs on third and long, etc.).  I'm thinking that, unless he turns it completely around, we need to move on from Mariota not because Mariota is a garbage QB, but because this coaching staff and FO is clearly incapable of winning with Mariota by playing to his strengths.

I don't understand his logic. Mariota is the only common denominator in the dumpster fire that is our passing attack and he thinks it's somehow not Mariota to blame? 

He's certainly not the only issue but to act like he's not a real issue is just ignorance at this point.

Listening to Coach Mac talk on morning radio.....
He spoke about how Mayfield and the Cleveland passing game struggled due to various factors.  While talking he spoke about a passing game in general. Said there are only so many times you can play horizontally when attacking a defense. At some point you have to block and allow for routes to develop down the field.  Said Mayfield partly struggled due to not having the time to set up and throw down the field due to blocking. 
Even having 2 of the best WRs in the league, wasn't a remedy for poor OL play. 

I think about this with Marcus. Mayfield struggled partly also because he left the pocket too soon. He'd scramble for no reason. 
With Marcus, at least he stands tall in the pocket trying to let these downfield routes develop.  His fault is that he either is too late to throw or sometimes inaccurate with the throw, if he gets the blocking.

But I think the key thing is that you need time regardless and our QB(s) won't/haven't received that.

ESPN this morning was talking how if Baker had (x) amount of time to throw the ball he is great.  Well No DUH! All QBs are better with more time to throw. lol

Eh. well excuse this ramble. It's nothing new. Just talking.