Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

11 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Ok so I ask you, specifically this year outside of the Baltimore game (because we all agree he was poor) what plays can you honestly point to and say yeah that’s on Marcus?

And no it’s not speculative. I can point to multiple dropped passes that should have been 3rd down conversions, multiple dropped touchdown passes, wrong routes ran leading to interceptions, poor routes ran leading to interceptions, and an absolutely horrendous rushing attack. Those are all facts.

I can't point to them, because just like you, I was not looking to blame anyone else. It had to be someone other than Mariota's fault. We shall see going forward, and we may need All-22 tape to really know for sure.

Rage shared a list of teams with the most dropped passes this season. We're on it, so it looks like we could blame the weapons, right? You know who else is right up there with dropped passes in that list? Aaron Rogers, Joe Flacco, Phillip Rivers, Andrew Luck, Kirk Cousins, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz.

Hell, look at Baker Mayfield up there. He's putting up more points than us with more drops. He's averaging 270 yards passing per game to Mariota's 150.

The rushing attack is the one thing I will give you. It really makes it difficult on him, but right now the Colts, Falcons, Vikings, Steelers, Bengals, and Lions are all putting up fewer yards per game than us. The Ravens are one spot better than us.

The difference?

All of those teams are in the top half of the league in passing yards per game. We're 30th. If it isn't stopping their QBs, why is it a valid excuse that it's stopping ours? It's acceptable that it would hinder him or slow him down, but for him to be under 135 yards passing in 5 of his last 6 regular season games... It's hard to keep making excuses for him at this point.

11 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Ok so I ask you, specifically this year outside of the Baltimore game (because we all agree he was poor) what plays can you honestly point to and say yeah that’s on Marcus?

And no it’s not speculative. I can point to multiple dropped passes that should have been 3rd down conversions, multiple dropped touchdown passes, wrong routes ran leading to interceptions, poor routes ran leading to interceptions, and an absolutely horrendous rushing attack. Those are all facts.

I can't point to them, because just like you, I was not looking to blame anyone else. It had to be someone other than Mariota's fault. We shall see going forward, and we may need All-22 tape to really know for sure.

Rage shared a list of teams with the most dropped passes this season. We're on it, so it looks like we could blame the weapons, right? You know who else is right up there with dropped passes in that list? Aaron Rogers, Joe Flacco, Phillip Rivers, Andrew Luck, Kirk Cousins, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz.

Hell, look at Baker Mayfield up there. He's putting up more points than us with more drops. He's averaging 270 yards passing per game to Mariota's 150.

The rushing attack is the one thing I will give you. It really makes it difficult on him, but right now the Colts, Falcons, Vikings, Steelers, Bengals, and Lions are all putting up fewer yards per game than us. The Ravens are one spot better than us.

The difference?

All of those teams are in the top half of the league in passing yards per game. We're 30th. If it isn't stopping their QBs, why is it a valid excuse that it's stopping ours? It's acceptable that it would hinder him or slow him down, but for him to be under 135 yards passing in 5 of his last 6 regular season games... It's hard to keep making excuses for him at this point.

54 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

The difference?

I am completely open to blaming Mariota. It doesn't have to be someone other than Mariota's fault by any means. Just because I am defending him doesn't mean I am not open to criticizing him when it's just. In fact I even pointed out a few plays where you could blame him. I'm simply just asking you or anyone else to show me some plays where you can pin the blame on him and I mean that genuinely because I haven't seen all these plays where you can just say yeah he messed up there. If we can go back through some tape like we did the Baltimore game and see Marcus clearly at fault then it is what it is and I will 100% put the blame where it's due.

As for the QB's you listed that are also dealing with a high drop percentage...it's not simply just the high drop percentage as a whole, it's the fact that nearly all of the drops we've had are crucial - touchdowns or 3rd down conversions. I would be interested to see how many of those other teams drops have costed them touchdowns or the opportunity to extend drives.

To the rushing game point, take away Marcus' runs and our running game is good for 74 yards per game - worst in the NFL, on a 3.28 yard per carry average - also worst in the NFL, and 1 rushing touchdown - tied for worst in the NFL. Sorry but he is not getting anywhere near even close to what Luck, Ryan, Cousins, Roethlisberger, Dalton, and Stafford are getting from their rushing attacks.

Edited by dtait93

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

To the rushing game point, take away Marcus' runs and our running game is good for 74 yards per game - worst in the NFL, on a 3.28 yard per carry average - also worst in the NFL, and 1 rushing touchdown - tied for worst in the NFL. Sorry but he is not getting anywhere near even close to what Luck, Ryan, Cousins, Roethlisberger, Dalton, and Stafford are getting from their rushing attacks.

Take away Luck's yardage and the Colts are at 73.2 yards per game. The Steelers are at 81 without Roethlisberger. Bengals 84 without Dalton's. To say that he is "not getting anywhere close" to guys that are getting an extra 7-10 yards per game from their backs is just a horrible excuse. How can you say you're completely open to blaming Mariota and then try to use that as an actual reason these guys aren't struggling, but he is?

I would also like to know how the extra 7-10 yards per game from Derrick Henry to put our rushing attack up with the rest of these guys is going to all of the sudden propel Mariota's passing game? Yeah our running game sucks. So does a lot of other QBs and they're getting it done.

But ours is the worst right? So why don't we go with that. Why don't I start making the argument that our running game is so bad because their are typically 8 people in the box. No one is afraid of our passing game. We are also the 4th highest blitzed offense in the NFL. Everyone knows Mariota is folding under pressure. No one is afraid of the play-action pass so linebackers are attacking the line without any fear of us dropping one in behind them. If Mariota could throw the ball, Derrick Henry would have more room to run.... it's a two-way street. 

In order to score a rushing TD you need to be able to get to the goal line. You generally need a viable passing attack for that.

Edited by TitanSS

You all can think whatever you want. Make up an excuse or a reason for it if you want. Blame it on someone else, whatever.

The facts are that Mariota has thrown for 135 or fewer yards in 5 out of his last 6 regular season games and 185 or fewer yards in 8 out of his last 11 regular season games. 

It's year four. I'm 100% done blaming other people. I watch other games and I see QBs dropping it to guys I've never heard of with their OL playing far worse than ours.

If he succeeds it will be because of no one but him. If he fails it will be because of no one but him. I'm done being hypocritical about that.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

You all can think whatever you want. Make up an excuse or a reason for it if you want. Blame it on someone else, whatever.

The facts are that Mariota has thrown for 135 or fewer yards in 5 out of his last 6 regular season games and 185 or fewer yards in 8 out of his last 11 regular season games. 

It's year four. I'm 100% done blaming other people. I watch other games and I see QBs dropping it to guys I've never heard of with their OL playing far worse than ours.

If he succeeds it will be because of no one but him. If he fails it will be because of no one but him. I'm done being hypocritical about that.

yeah, i agree. it's one thing to look at our receivers' drops and get mad that they're potentially costing us games (which they are), but the constant stream of excuses is getting really, really old at this point. he's got to start performing consistently or we need to look elsewhere.

My brother pointed this out to me earlier and man this is pretty frightening ..

Mariota has 2 tds and 4 ints so far this year .  He also has a starting record of 1-2

(im not going to give him the Miami loss , but I’m not giving him the jags win)

Gabbert has 1 td and 1 int this season. He also has a starting record of 1-0 . (Not counting Miami or jags as well ). 

So gabbert is literally the butt of all jokes with NFL fan bases and he has better numbers this year then our golden boy. Yes limited play but it’s not like Marcus has played a lot more then him. Mariota has played about 8 half’s this year while Gabbert has played about 4. So Mariota has played twice as much as Blaine and he has 1 more td. Just downright Pathetic 

2 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

My brother pointed this out to me earlier and man this is pretty frightening ..

Mariota has 2 tds and 4 ints so far this year .  He also has a starting record of 1-2

(im not going to give him the Miami loss , but I’m not giving him the jags win)

Gabbert has 1 td and 1 int this season. He also has a starting record of 1-0 . (Not counting Miami or jags as well ). 

Gabbert is literally the butt of all jokes with NFL fan bases and he has better numbers this year then our golden boy. Yes limited play but it’s not like Marcus has played a lot more then him. Mariota has played about 8 half’s this year while Gabbert has played about 4. So Mariota has played twice as much as Blaine and he has 1 more td. Just downright Pathetic 

Technically Byard is playing better then both of them. Mariota has 1 more td pass then our Safety. 

Edited by FutureIsWhite

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, i agree. it's one thing to look at our receivers' drops and get mad that they're potentially costing us games (which they are), but the constant stream of excuses is getting really, really old at this point. he's got to start performing consistently or we need to look elsewhere.

What are your elsewhere options? Do you like any QBs coming up in the draft?

12 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

What are your elsewhere options? Do you like any QBs coming up in the draft?

I really like Justin Herbert and I want to like Drew Lock, but I'm not sure about him. He's a little bit of a gunslinger. He's in a new offense this year and his OC is the Cowboys former WR coach, so his tape this year will be important. Herbert is getting 1st overall pick hype now though. There are a couple others that are getting more hype than Lock that I'm less excited about.

Looking doesn't necessarily mean we find anything better than him. I absolutely wouldn't force drafting a QB. It just becomes a possibility if you find one you love. If we don't, continue 2019 with Marcus and don't even let him know we were looking to replace him. I wouldn't go the FA route.

With draftbreakdown going down it's a lot harder to get a good idea of all of the prospects. 

Edited by TitanSS

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I really like Justin Herbert and I want to like Drew Lock, but I'm not sure about him. He's a little bit of a gunslinger. He's in a new offense this year and his OC is the Cowboys former WR coach, so his tape this year will be important. Herbert is getting 1st overall pick hype now though. There are a couple others that are getting more hype than Lock that I'm less excited about.

Looking doesn't necessarily mean we find anything better than him. I absolutely wouldn't force drafting a QB. It just becomes a possibility if you find one you love. If we don't, continue 2019 with Marcus and don't even let him know we were looking to replace him. I wouldn't go the FA route.

With draftbreakdown going down it's a lot harder to get a good idea of all of the prospects. 

Derek Dooley former disgraced UT-Tennessee coach is the OC. You will get a lot laughs from that fact. Lol 

But saw Drew Locke last week and was unimpressed and he looked so small. 

Same with Herbert. Didn't get a good feel from him either.   

I haven't looked at any QBs but none have buzz that makes me want to look outside of the dude at Ohio State and I don't trust any QB from that system. 

But draft time one is always pumped up.