Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how you'll blindly defend Mariota with persistent trolling, this time using a basketball reference.

That's a shame, because I'm not.  What I will say is i think the Titans and their general, normie fanbase are perfect for each other. Both are stuck in the past 

The cliche, boring past. 

Let's go 3 TEs baby!

The Tennessee Tight Ends!

(Please don't do this to the next qb)

5 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

That's a shame, because I'm not.  What I will say is i think the Titans and their general, normie fanbase are perfect for each other. Both are stuck in the past 

The cliche, boring past. 

Let's go 3 TEs baby!

The Tennessee Tight Ends!

(Please don't do this to the next qb)

No one is embracing the past or wanting to run the ball 70% of the time with 3 TEs. You're literally making things up because the argument isn't going your way.

Leadership exists. In sports, in business, in many facets in life. No one is saying Mariota would have succeeded if he had a different personality. No one is blaming his downfall on a lack of leadership... Except maybe Eric Decker 2 years ago.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

No one is embracing the past or wanting to run the ball 70% of the time with 3 TEs. You're literally making things up because the argument isn't going your way.

Leadership exists. In sports, in business, in many facets in life. No one is saying Mariota would have succeeded if he had a different personality. No one is blaming his downfall on a lack of leadership.

I'm not even pointing at the forum specifically. Check out that call in show on Newschannel 5+. Lord is that a **** show.

"Leave the coaches alone and let them do their job!"

You might even laugh at them.

Edited by Kookie23
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kookie23 said:

I'm not even pointing at the forum specifically. Check out that call in show on Newschannel 5+. Lord is that a **** show.

"Leave the coaches alone and let them do their job!"

You might even laugh at them.

I live in Missouri and my only real interaction with other Titans fans is on here. I'm occasionally brave enough to look at Twitter.

I can't say I've ever heard an intelligent person call in to any radio show though.

• Like 1

Just now, TitanSS said:

I live in Missouri and my only real interaction with other Titans fans is on here. I'm occasionally brave enough to look at Twitter.

I can't say I've ever heard an intelligent person call in to any radio show though.

Understandable.  

No hard feelings.  I am here to have fun as always.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hey boys. Hoping to gather some intel on new Raider QB Marcus Mariota. I know he's a bust but why did he fail at the NFL? What does he do well/poor?

Hoping he can push Carr to be a better #1, and if not, replace him at some point late in the year.

Nerve damage in throwing elbow and broken leg pretty much ended him here. Could tell he was scared of getting hurt or making mistakes after that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Hey boys. Hoping to gather some intel on new Raider QB Marcus Mariota. I know he's a bust but why did he fail at the NFL? What does he do well/poor?

Hoping he can push Carr to be a better #1, and if not, replace him at some point late in the year.

I will always love him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

There is over 80 pages to tell you the roller coaster he was here.....lol So be prepared to get a couple of different views from people here.

My take:
He lost his confidence. He was hesitant to pull the trigger on pass plays. He took sacks unnecessarily. He became gun-shy and TOO careful with the ball. His accuracy was up and down from not only game to game but drive to drive.

However!
He was a man. Fought through injuries. A leader in every sense of the word. Stand-up guy. Easy to root for and love. Short passes to the right was great. Deep ball got better as he was in the league. 
Go back to 2016 games to see him at his best. Threw into tight windows, ran when needed....
We never had a losing season with him. He brought this team from the ashes to a competitive group. Guys loved to play with him.

He won't elevate a team, but with a great playcaller that knows how to use him, he could be one of the better QBs and surefire get you in the playoffs. 
He isn't the "passer" Carr is but he is a better athlete and probably the better leader. 

• Like 1

I think he can still be good. Injuries derailed him and he definitely got more conservative over the last year. If the hand is healed, I think him sitting for 10 games could’ve really benefitted him. At his best, he’s an accurate, timing passer with elite athleticism. Super quiet, super chill, super good dude that is beloved by teammates. It’s a shot worth taking, the ceiling is higher than Carr’s. Even at its worst, he’s a great locker room guy that has the demeanor and intelligence to be a great long-term backup.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

2015 - Came out the gates with a resounding statement -  4 TDs, 0 INT, 158.3 passser rating leading our offense to 42 points in week 1 against his counterpart Jameis Winston. All in all put together a very promising rookie year. Something was there.

2016 - We all thought it was abundantly clear he was the franchise guy by putting together a wonderful sophomore year and having us in the playoff hunt.... and then he broke his leg in week 16.

2017 - It was hard to tell what happened. Did he lose confidence after breaking his leg? Was his lack of production a result of the o-line or the running game falling apart? Even still he had a couple legendary moments - a man of a run against Jacksonville's all world defense to clinch a playoff berth in the closing minutes of week 17, and an 18 point comeback in the wildcard round on the road in hostile Arrowhead with a TD pass to himself. Whatever the reason was for his regression, those moments, a playoff W, and what he put together in 2016 still had us believing he was the the guy.

2018 - It all fell apart. He lost his go to guy Delanie Walker for the season in week 1. In that same game he injured his ulnar nerve which effected his ability to grip and caused tingling/numbness in his throwing hand/arm - this turned out to be something he battled all season long. His #1 WR quit on the team in week 3. Then the injuries completely took their toll. Here is what he battled through: a stung ulnar nerve, two neck stingers, a cracked vertebra, plantar fascia tear, a strained oblique, a broken rib, and a sprained AC shoulder joint. All that and he somehow only missed 3 games. The debate amongst us was now on. Was his poor 2018 because of the slew of injuries he suffered, or has he regressed to the point of no return? Was his poor 2017 because he was still trying to work through the mental rigors of returning from a broken leg? What about what he pulled off in week 17 and the wildcard round? And what about the 3 different OC's and 4 different play callers he had gone through up until that point? Maybe he just needs continuity for once in his career? Whatever the answer was to those questions, 2019 was his make or break year.

2019 - Week 1 started off great with the dismantling the off-season darling Cleveland Browns and a 3 TD performance. But as the season wore on it was clear he was just broken. Gun shy, was seeing ghosts, no pocket presence, couldn't progress through his reads, looked down at the pressure instead of keeping his eyes downfield, etc, etc. He was eventually benched in week 6 after failing to lead the offense to a single point in the first half and well, the rest is history.

All in all, I wish he worked out, but there's a lot of reasons he didn't and many of those reasons were nobody's fault but his own. He just never seemed to develop. That being said, we did him absolutely no favors and that's for damn certain lol. 3 HC's, 4 OC's, and 5 playcallers in 5 years is a recipe for disaster for any QB, let alone one with limitations like Mariota. He's a great teammate, tough as nails (while still being fragile), and an awesome human being, but there's a ton of flaws in his game. I think his only chance at success is in a simplistic offense with defined reads where he can utilize his athleticism coupled with a strong running game backing him. Many liken his early years to Alex Smith who went through similar coaching turnover in his early years. Hopefully he can see a turnaround with someone who actually has experience with QB's like Gruden similar to how Smith saw a turnaround with someone who had experience with QB's like Harbaugh and Reid. If memory serves me correctly I believe Gruden's done it once before with Gannon. I'll be rooting for similar results for Marcus under his tutelage. Best of luck with him.

• Like 4