Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

26 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Derek Dooley former disgraced UT-Tennessee coach is the OC. You will get a lot laughs from that fact. Lol 

But saw Drew Locke last week and was unimpressed and he looked so small. 

Same with Herbert. Didn't get a good feel from him either.   

I haven't looked at any QBs but none have buzz that makes me want to look outside of the dude at Ohio State and I don't trust any QB from that system. 

But draft time one is always pumped up. 

I don't know anything about him other than the fact that he's supposed to bring more pro concepts to Mizzou's gimmick offense. I honestly don't think he has from the games I've seen. I would call them anything but a pro-style offense.

Lock is between 6'3 and 6'4 and 220-225 lbs. I don't think he's anywhere close to small, but he absolutely had a rough week against Alabama. That's why I said I want to like him lol. Incredibly fast delivery and incredible arm strength, but it's hard to love any QB from Mizzou. It's hard to picture those QBs in an NFL offense. A lot of short throws. A lot of projection like we had to do with Mariota. Right now, I think he's projecting as 1st-2nd round guy, so it could be a scenario where the coaching staff gets a 2nd round guy to sit a year behind Mariota.

I didn't get to see Herbert last week, ESPN2 blocked out the game in my area for some reason. I was mad about it. He was absolutely outstanding against Stanford. Not just accuracy but very advanced ball placement for a college QB. Seems to usually make good decisions. 6'6" 235 lbs with a strong arm and good legs. Herbert is going to be a stud in the NFL. If he's not the first overall pick it's only because the team picking first just drafted a QB.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Take away Luck's yardage and the Colts are at 73.2 yards per game. The Steelers are at 81 without Roethlisberger. Bengals 84 without Dalton's. To say that he is "not getting anywhere close" to guys that are getting an extra 7-10 yards per game from their backs is just a horrible excuse. How can you say you're completely open to blaming Mariota and then try to use that as an actual reason these guys aren't struggling, but he is?

I would also like to know how the extra 7-10 yards per game from Derrick Henry to put our rushing attack up with the rest of these guys is going to all of the sudden propel Mariota's passing game? Yeah our running game sucks. So does a lot of other QBs and they're getting it done.

But ours is the worst right? So why don't we go with that. Why don't I start making the argument that our running game is so bad because their are typically 8 people in the box. No one is afraid of our passing game. We are also the 4th highest blitzed offense in the NFL. Everyone knows Mariota is folding under pressure. No one is afraid of the play-action pass so linebackers are attacking the line without any fear of us dropping one in behind them. If Mariota could throw the ball, Derrick Henry would have more room to run.... it's a two-way street. 

In order to score a rushing TD you need to be able to get to the goal line. You generally need a viable passing attack for that.

Uhhhh because he's not Luck or Big Ben? Thought that was common knowledge by now. They don't need strong running games to have sucess. They are elite. Dalton is not but look at what he's surrounded with that helps him have success...Green, Boyd, CJ/Eifert, Mixon, Gio...Dalton would not be doing much better than Marcus if you gave him what Marcus has been dealing with. And don't give me the blaming weapons is speculative nonsense, because up until yesterday the, "weapons" were 100% the problem.

And are you just going to ignore efficiency? Removing the QB's from the equation, the Bengals average 4.41 ypc, the Steelers average 4.18 ypc, and the Colts average 4.31 ypc. Meanwhile we average 3.28 ypc....that is horrible. The point still remains. He is not getting anywhere close to the help they are getting. The Bengals have Mixon averaging 4.7 and Gio averaging 4.6 ypc. The Steelers have Connor averaging 4.4 ypc. The Colts have Wilkins averaging 4.0 ypc and Mack averaging 5.6 ypc. Henry's 3.3 and Lewis' 3.1 ypc isn't close to any of those guys. What other QB's are getting it done that either aren't elite or have little to no receiving threats AND no running game? Marcus is not elite and is dealing with both of those deficiencies while still learning a new scheme...yet here we are at .500 still at the top of the division largely in part to Marcus' performance against Jacksonville and Philly. 

No one is afraid of our passing game because our receivers pose no threat. Who is scared of a passing game that after Corey Davis features the likes of Taywan Taylor, Tajae Sharpe, Darius Jennings, Jonnu Smith, Luke Stalker, and Anthony Firsker? That group is a complete joke. The defenses don't have to honor the running game because our o-line hasn't been able to get any push and Henry runs like a coward and Dion gets swallowed. Like who the hell would bite on a play-action when you can't run the ball? Even if Marcus, "could throw the ball" that wouldn't even do anything to help the play action.

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

If Mariota could throw the ball, Derrick Henry would have more room to run.... it's a two-way street. 

I would like to highlight this. Were you even watching the Philly game? Marcus threw for 344 yards and guess what our RB's did on the ground? 12 carries for 24 yards. Your analysis is nonsense. The ground game isn't garbage right now because of Marcus can't throw the ball. It's garbage because of the o-line and RB's.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Only thing that has changed with our run game is the scheme. Same players. And basically same running backs. If not better. Missing walker on the edge. 

We should be better running the ball. Scheme isnt fitting our guys or they don't understand. 

I'm with you about the scheme, thought the Titans would be monsters of the ground game this year. For some reason, just not happening. 

Let's review: Titans make playoffs. Celebrate! Titans win playoff game. Celebrate! Titans lose the next playoff game in New England after being up 7-0 in the 2nd quarter. Celebrate? No. Titans fire coach. Wait, what?!?

Celebrating success with unnecessary chaos rarely ends well. So many teams would love to enjoy the same success as the 2017 Titans.

This could get really ugly for awhile. 

11 minutes ago, FinSting said:

I'm with you about the scheme, thought the Titans would be monsters of the ground game this year. For some reason, just not happening. 

Let's review: Titans make playoffs. Celebrate! Titans win playoff game. Celebrate! Titans lose the next playoff game in New England after being up 7-0 in the 2nd quarter. Celebrate? No. Titans fire coach. Wait, what?!?

Celebrating success with unnecessary chaos rarely ends well. So many teams would love to enjoy the same success as the 2017 Titans.

This could get really ugly for awhile. 

The problem with staying the way we were is that everyone could see we weren't going to sustain any type of success. Which is what led to losses to the Niners and Cardinals and inconsistent offense last year. 

Many would have accepted murlarkey as coach if he changed OC. But he refused. 

Our offense felt like luck of the draw opposed to game plan and scheme. 

But it was talked about that this team could be better but have a worst record. Because we are going in a different direction than we were, scheme  wise. 

It might get ugly this year. But also better for the long run. 

Marcus is in a hard spot. Close to Tannehill. Shows ability. But not consistent. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Only thing that has changed with our run game is the scheme. Same players. And basically same running backs. If not better. Missing walker on the edge. 

We should be better running the ball. Scheme isnt fitting our guys or they don't understand. 

Well the zone scheme is supposed to fit Jones and Kline better but they aren’t playing well. Spain is supposed to be better in the power scheme so I understand why he is struggling. Though I don’t think he’s struggling as bad as Jones and Kline personally. Conklins looked good to me and Lewan seems shaky. Not sure if it’s the foot or what. As a unit though they are not playing well. I think it’s a bit of both.

Edited by dtait93

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The problem with staying the way we were is that everyone could see we weren't going to sustain any type of success.

Winning a playoff game is not any type of success? Geez. For a hot minute I thought ya'll were gonna beat the Patriots. An early lead, a good run game...

I don't think GM Jon Robinson is worth the hassle. He must pay for this 11-sack debacle vs Baltimore, it's all on his head. Any dolt can be a GM for a couple-few years, til reality bites and you're fired. Yet few people can be playoff-winning coaches, it's a very rare trait that must be nurtured. For some reason, Titans fired a winning coach. Probably lots of infighting and political stuff we'll never know about, but there it is. 

It's like fired GM Baalke and the 49ers. Hire a new coach and win so many games it's ridiculous with a Super Bowl appearnce, yet still the Niners said 'yes' to Baalke and 'no' to Harbaugh. How'd that work out for them? Extremely poorly, Niners have been an NFL joke since the day Harbaugh walked out the door. 

IMHO, never ever kick a playoff-winning coach to the curb in favor of an easily replaceable GM. 

34 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Winning a playoff game is not any type of success? Geez. For a hot minute I thought ya'll were gonna beat the Patriots. An early lead, a good run game...

I don't think GM Jon Robinson is worth the hassle. He must pay for this 11-sack debacle vs Baltimore, it's all on his head. Any dolt can be a GM for a couple-few years, til reality bites and you're fired. Yet few people can be playoff-winning coaches, it's a very rare trait that must be nurtured. For some reason, Titans fired a winning coach. Probably lots of infighting and political stuff we'll never know about, but there it is. 

It's like fired GM Baalke and the 49ers. Hire a new coach and win so many games it's ridiculous with a Super Bowl appearnce, yet still the Niners said 'yes' to Baalke and 'no' to Harbaugh. How'd that work out for them? Extremely poorly, Niners have been an NFL joke since the day Harbaugh walked out the door. 

IMHO, never ever kick a playoff-winning coach to the curb in favor of an easily replaceable GM. 

Outside looking in, it is easy to have that opinion.  But when we saw this team play every week, it wasn't something that anyone felt comfortable going forward with. 

Robinson is far from the problem. It is soooo different from the Niners. We weren't in the Super bowl and murlarkey was no Harbaugh. 

The problem was clear. The offense was the problem.

But everyone here could write essays why we needed to change coaches. 

But with the change in systems, and Marcus struggling, it's gonna be more blame headed his way. 11 sacks weren't on Robinson. 

But. For real. The change was needed. It would be like keeping Jim Caldwell, even tho he had a winning record. 

22 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Mike Mularkey is not a winning coach lol. He beat a team QBd  by Alex Smith.

There was no political fighting. There was an absolutely horrible offense that was getting worse by the game.

If you think our GM is replaceable you should have seen the two before him.

If we go 3-13, firing Mularkey was still the correct decision. 

Would the Jaguars be wrong to replace Bortles because he's a playoff winning QB and those are hard to find? 

As usual, context is important.

19 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Mike Mularkey is not a winning coach lol. He beat a team QBd  by Alex Smith.

There was no political fighting. There was an absolutely horrible offense that was getting worse by the game.

How many times did a Mularkey team give up 11 sacks? AT HOME. This is Tecmo Bowl stupidity, not NFL quality. 

GM gotta go, he's the poison here. Simply can't fault a rookie coach like Vrabel thrown into a cesspool of GM weirdness where a playoff-winning coach was fired for the transgression of...winning a playoff game. 

Backstabbing front office. No player or coach will trust these people, ever. Change or suffer. 

Just now, FinSting said:

How many times did a Mularkey team give up 11 sacks? AT HOME. This is Tecmo Bowl stupidity, not NFL quality. 

GM gotta go, he's the poison here. Simply can't fault a rookie coach like Vrabel thrown into a cesspool of GM weirdness where a playoff-winning coach was fired for the transgression of...winning a playoff game. 

Backstabbing front office. No player or coach will trust these people, ever. Change or suffer. 

GM is fine. Horrible take. Honestly I'm not really sure anything you're saying even makes sense.

If anything the QB will be going. The majority of those sacks are on the QB, not the OL. We were one of the best pass-blocking OLs in the NFL the last two years and in the games leading up this one, but yeah the GM sucks because of one game. lol.

Good talk.

34 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

GM is fine. Horrible take. Honestly I'm not really sure anything you're saying even makes sense.

Bro, ya'll just had a game with 11 sacks. It's not meant as insult or piling on. Heads must roll. 

Fire that GM, and try to recover from this "hey let's dump the playoff winning coach" debacle. 

1 minute ago, FinSting said:

Bro, ya'll just had a game with 11 sacks. It's not meant as insult or piling on. Heads must roll. 

Fire that GM, and try to recover from this "hey let's dump the playoff winning coach" debacle. 

why do you think you have the antidote here

9 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

why do you think you have the antidote here

Hard to show statistics, but GM's with crap haircuts are not to be trusted. Hence the antidote is a different GM. 

Not so scientific, but then again have you bumped into Raiders owner Mark Davis at PF Chang's on a Friday night? I have, and that haircut was shocking.