Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

9 hours ago, TitanSS said:

What is depth adjusted accuracy?

It’s a stat Mariota fans use to justify his horrid td/int ratio as well as his sub par inconsistent play .. Fans throw out stats like these to justify Mariota but when the doubters use stats like his td / int ratio or his low passing yards the Mariota fans don’t pay any mind to it.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FutureIsWhite said:

It’s a stat Mariota fans use to justify his horrid td/int ratio as well as his sub par inconsistent play .. Fans throw out stats like these to justify Mariota but when the doubters use stats like his td / int ratio or his low passing yards the Mariota fans don’t pay any mind to it.. 

Wrong.

And I don't even know what that start is...depth adjusted accuracy sounds made up. Lol 

But people like me post stats from places like NFL matchup or anywhere because it is simply a piece of data. I've also posted things that would go against him. Simply to try to present a balanced look. 

Lol 

I can tell this next season is just gonna be a blast with people ready to burn the place down with every incompletion. 

3 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Truth!!! Just another stat Mariota homers throw around to make him look better than he really is. Cian is the biggest Mariota homer there is. Bigger than the ones on here and that’s saying something.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Truth!!! Just another stat Mariota homers throw around to make him look better than he really is. Cian is the biggest Mariota homer there is. Bigger than the ones on here and that’s saying something.

What is the reason  that you do you do that?  
Is there a reason you always try to draw a line in the sand here with the them vs. us thing? You like it, you are this or that....
EDIT: It makes it seem like one side is a jerk or idiot for feeling one way. When the truth is, nobody is right or wrong....yet. 

And I'm not trying to censor or even argue about it.  But you have a real tendency to take that stance.  Whether it be coach, player....if someone supports it, it's always a "homer, lover..etc."
At times I truly wonder if you hate this team or not. lol And I'm being serious about that but not attacking. I hope you don't take it personal or as an attack against you, I'd be interested in hearing your feelings about it. And no, a person doesn't have to love everything about a team to support it. You want them to be better, I assume. It is just that I notice a lot of times if someone takes the side of feeling that something about the team is good and you think it's bad, then the other person is one of those things above for feeling that way and I just don't personally feel that's a fair stance. 

I know I take up for the team. I give them every chance to do right until I break. I have a higher tolerance. If I'm a homer so be it. I'm a fan.

But about the stats, they are what they are.  Some people are quick to point to them to say how bad they think he is and there are stats to say otherwise. They aren't the end all be all. We seen stats that make any player look good, when it says otherwise.  There are also the reverse. 
But if one wants to present a stat in support of their argument what is the problem with that?  So for example, if someone says QB X can't connect deep and then a stat shows they are among the best connecting deep, that supports their argument. Now the eye test might say well when it counts most he can't.

Just like the WRs drops for this year. Yes they didn't drop many in the grand scheme of things, but when they dropped it, was a problem. If there are stats that illustrate why he isn't a good QB, present them for everyone to see. It would help make a more balanced discussion. Because people who aren't tired of him or think he is bad are presenting stats to support their argument. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

What is the reason  that you do you do that?  
Is there a reason you always try to draw a line in the sand here with the them vs. us thing? You like it, you are this or that....
EDIT: It makes it seem like one side is a jerk or idiot for feeling one way. When the truth is, nobody is right or wrong....yet. 

And I'm not trying to censor or even argue about it.  But you have a real tendency to take that stance.  Whether it be coach, player....if someone supports it, it's always a "homer, lover..etc."
At times I truly wonder if you hate this team or not. lol And I'm being serious about that but not attacking. I hope you don't take it personal or as an attack against you, I'd be interested in hearing your feelings about it. And no, a person doesn't have to love everything about a team to support it. You want them to be better, I assume. It is just that I notice a lot of times if someone takes the side of feeling that something about the team is good and you think it's bad, then the other person is one of those things above for feeling that way and I just don't personally feel that's a fair stance. 

I know I take up for the team. I give them every chance to do right until I break. I have a higher tolerance. If I'm a homer so be it. I'm a fan.

But about the stats, they are what they are.  Some people are quick to point to them to say how bad they think he is and there are stats to say otherwise. They aren't the end all be all. We seen stats that make any player look good, when it says otherwise.  There are also the reverse. 
But if one wants to present a stat in support of their argument what is the problem with that?  So for example, if someone says QB X can't connect deep and then a stat shows they are among the best connecting deep, that supports their argument. Now the eye test might say well when it counts most he can't.

Just like the WRs drops for this year. Yes they didn't drop many in the grand scheme of things, but when they dropped it, was a problem. If there are stats that illustrate why he isn't a good QB, present them for everyone to see. It would help make a more balanced discussion. Because people who aren't tired of him or think he is bad are presenting stats to support their argument. 

I think the them vs  us thing is the way it is because both sides won’t ease up on there stance .. I enjoy immensely talking to other fans about Mariota and what to do about him for the future however I’m not a fan of his so I’m shot down before I’m given a chance to speak my mind like most of the haters are.. This sub actually isn’t to bad but man go on Reddit and it’s a blood bath because the first sign of Mariota hate your stoned by the crowd .. 

Personally  I don’t think any Titans fan can say with a straight face that Mariota is a bad QB, in fact even with his sub par play the last two years I’d be ok with extending him if it wasn’t for the injuries .. Problem is a lot of the Homer’s put out stats like the one above and then people like  myself put out stats showing his horrid td/int ratio as well as every game he’s hurt or missed adding up to 25 percent of his career . But As soon as a stat like that comes up the Homer’s throw “he won a playoff game “ or “he’s brought us to 3 9-7 winning season in a row”.. etc etc instead of actual stats that matter .. But not all fans , some fans bring up his comebacks , his game winning drives etc which at the end I might not agree with but i can appreciate the counter arguments .. 

That being said your right the jury is still out and the one thing we all know is that Mariota will be our QB next year , but if he gets injured or plays average then the Homer’s are in for a wake up call..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FutureIsWhite said:

I think the them vs  us thing is the way it is because both sides won’t ease up on there stance .. I enjoy immensely talking to other fans about Mariota and what to do about him for the future however I’m not a fan of his so I’m shot down before I’m given a chance to speak my mind like most of the haters are.. This sub actually isn’t to bad but man go on Reddit and it’s a blood bath because the first sign of Mariota hate your stoned by the crowd .. 

Personally  I don’t think any Titans fan can say with a straight face that Mariota is a bad QB, in fact even with his sub par play the last two years I’d be ok with extending him if it wasn’t for the injuries .. Problem is a lot of the Homer’s put out stats like the one above and then people like  myself put out stats showing his horrid td/int ratio as well as every game he’s hurt or missed adding up to 25 percent of his career . But As soon as a stat like that comes up the Homer’s throw “he won a playoff game “ or “he’s brought us to 3 9-7 winning season in a row”.. etc etc instead of actual stats that matter .. But not all fans , some fans bring up his comebacks , his game winning drives etc which at the end I might not agree with but i can appreciate the counter arguments .. 

That being said your right the jury is still out and the one thing we all know is that Mariota will be our QB next year , but if he gets injured or plays average then the Homer’s are in for a wake up call..

Yeah, I don't have the knowledge of other places. lol I'm just here and Twitter.  
And I think at this point with Marcus, there is evidence to support both sides. 

Me personally, I'm not a person to speak in definitive terms. It is just me. It is hard for me to say someone will "never" do this or that.  
I guess it also depends on what you call a homer. I see a Homer as someone that refuses to say anything bad about a team or player. Refuses to see any negative. Everything is someone else's fault.  I don't see a lot of that here. I see defense, but not blind homerism.  All that defend him say, he needs to stay healthy, see the field better, be more consistent. But if we also say that some of the things around him need to be better, then we are blind to Marcus?

I can see frustration if you feel like nobody is seeing the negatives in a player. 
I think there are a lot of stats that support Marcus and point to him being a very good NFL player. And at times he doesn't pass the eye test or match those stats with consistent play. 

I hope  @ttitansfan4life doesn't take it too personal. I really came to delete that part before you responded to edit after thinking about it, because I think it could be taken wrong. I just don't think it's healthy going forward for us to have such strong lines in the sand. Because barring a change he will be QB and it will be a very tumultuous season in the forum if we are too harsh to each other. 

That's not a call to stop being negative about him or stop praising him.  Just hope going forward we don't get too toxic in our disagreements. I think the fastest way to be toxic is to make a side feel some type of way and make it where they feel like they gotta come so strong on their side. if that makes sense.

All Love.

I don't understand why someone can't just post a statistic about Mariota in the thread that's entire purpose is discussing Mariota without it turning in to some "oh thats just some Mariota homer talking" as if posting a single positive about the guy absolves him of all wrong. Mariota's accuracy(especially downfield) is widely praised, not just by Cian, but by a lot of analytics people/websites. Mariota was the most accurate deep passer in the league this year per PFF at 58.8%. Drew Brees was 2nd at 52.7%. So Cian's stat probably has some merit.

It's ok to post Mariota has issues with pressure in his face, it's ok to post that Mariota is extremely inconsistent, it's ok to post that Mariota is injury prone. It's also ok to post that he's extremely accurate. It's also ok to most that he's a great runner. It's also ok to post he's clutch.

I don't know why it needs to become some large, useless debate about "omg this guy is a mariota homer" or "omg this guy is a mariota hater". It's a statistic. Calm your ****.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't understand why someone can't just post a statistic about Mariota in the thread that's entire purpose is discussing Mariota without it turning in to some "oh thats just some Mariota homer talking" as if posting a single positive about the guy absolves him of all wrong. Mariota's accuracy(especially downfield) is widely praised, not just by Cian, but by a lot of analytics people/websites. Mariota was the most accurate deep passer in the league this year per PFF at 58.8%. Drew Brees was 2nd at 52.7%. So Cian's stat probably has some merit.

It's ok to post Mariota has issues with pressure in his face, it's ok to post that Mariota is extremely inconsistent, it's ok to post that Mariota is injury prone. It's also ok to post that he's extremely accurate. It's also ok to most that he's a great runner. It's also ok to post he's clutch.

I don't know why it needs to become some large, useless debate about "omg this guy is a mariota homer" or "omg this guy is a mariota hater". It's a statistic. Calm your ****.

Isn’t everything we talk about on fan forums “useless debate” ? That’s why we as fans go to forums to discuss what there team needs to do and see if fans agree with your stance and if they don’t you can discuss the different possibilities .. 

I mean what’s the biggest question mark with this franchise ??? No it’s not Corner or RB like last year , or who are we gonna take with pick 5 and 18 ? Etc etc .. This team has used all there resources from past trades, they’ve went out and paid a lot of money the last two years to bring in top free agents to fill holes and There draft pick this year  is reminiscent of the Fisher days ..  So what’s the most important thing to talk about ? 

Its Mariota and rightfully so.. The last few years Us fans were lucky with the Titans having high draft picks , free agent signings etc to build a championship caliber team with and talk about it in the process so the Mariota talk was put on the back burner because we had a lot more to discuss.. 

Well now that the dust is settled There’s really only one thing to talk about and that’s Marcus because he’s the key to our future.. So unfortunelty for you , your going to see alotttt of discussions and arguments on this topic for the next year no matter where you go for football talk and as much as I would like it to be civil I have a feeling this debate is gonna get out of hand the second Mariota throws a 4 td game or gets hurt .. 

1 minute ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Isn’t everything we talk about on fan forums “useless debate” ? That’s why we as fans go to forums to discuss what there team needs to do and see if fans agree with your stance and if they don’t you can discuss the different possibilities .. 

I mean what’s the biggest question mark with this franchise ??? No it’s not Corner or RB like last year , or who are we gonna take with pick 5 and 18 ? Etc etc .. This team has used all there resources from past trades, they’ve went out and paid a lot of money the last two years to bring in top free agents to fill holes and There draft pick this year  is reminiscent of the Fisher days ..  So what’s the most important thing to talk about ? 

Its Mariota and rightfully so.. The last few years Us fans were lucky with the Titans having high draft picks , free agent signings etc to build a championship caliber team with and talk about it in the process so the Mariota talk was put on the back burner because we had a lot more to discuss.. 

Well now that the dust is settled There’s really only one thing to talk about and that’s Marcus because he’s the key to our future.. So unfortunelty for you , your going to see alotttt of discussions and arguments on this topic for the next year no matter where you go for football talk and as much as I would like it to be civil I have a feeling this debate is gonna get out of hand the second Mariota throws a 4 td game or gets hurt .. 

No, discussing Mariota isn't the useless part.

The "omg ur a mariota homer" or "omg ur a mariota hater", however, is.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

No, discussing Mariota isn't the useless part.

The "omg ur a mariota homer" or "omg ur a mariota hater", however, is.

See I disagree ..  Why would I want to waste my time talking to a toxic fan or a huge homer ? The discussion goes nowhere and is a huge waste of time because no matter what you say the person has made up there mind . Homers and Toxic fans destroy subs , maybe not for everyone but it’s very irritating when your trying to have an open minded conversation about the Titans and someone chimes in just to get a rouse out of someone ... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Problem is a lot of the Homer’s put out stats like the one above and then people like  myself put out stats showing his horrid td/int ratio as well as every game he’s hurt or missed adding up to 25 percent of his career .

Thing is There are enough stats out there to support both sides of the argument. But when people lie about numbers or exaggerate them, then it seems like a personal attack. He misses time, of course... But he's failed to play 75%if the snaps once... His rookie year. He played over 90%of the snaps year 2 and 3... Before going back down to 78% this year. He's just short of playing in 85% of snaps in his career (and by rounding rules , he's closer to 90%than 75%). It's still not a good number, but no need to lie or exaggerate the number to try and prove a point. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Edited by ragevsuall17

3 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

See I disagree ..  Why would I want to waste my time talking to a toxic fan or a huge homer ? The discussion goes nowhere and is a huge waste of time because no matter what you say the person has made up there mind . Homers and Toxic fans destroy subs , maybe not for everyone but it’s very irritating when your trying to have an open minded conversation about the Titans and someone chimes in just to get a rouse out of someone ... 

I think the big difference is most of us that would be categorized as "Pro Mariota" have been objective and wavered in our support throughout the year. We know he's not a finished product... We know he needs work... And we know the odds aren't in his favor going into the new season with yet another different OC. 

Most posters that aren't pro Mariota aren't garbage posters with an obviously slanted agenda. But there are a (very) few that are. It's like they relish more the fact that Mariota struggles over anything else, even Titans wins/losses. 

You're not one of these, you've been objective. I'm pro Mariota but Im also thinking he'll have to leave to experience sustained success (I've thrown out the possibility of trading him now instead of waiting). I'll be a fan of his even after he's gone, like I was of McNair. But my Oilers/Titans will always come first, no matter what. 

Edited by ragevsuall17
  • Like 2