Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

41 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Even if the numbers end up being what he's projected, it has to be a very team friendly deal in order to bring him back, unless he plays every game like he did in the first half yesterday.

If he is his usual mixed bag self, you aren't giving him franchise QB money. 

He was so bad the first few weeks that the coaches were asked if he was close to being benched. The stats aren't going to fool the front office anymore than they've fooled those of us on here.

Stats are what matters to so many though.

But I think  a Brisett 2 year deal could be something or whatever he is getting now extended. 

He likely won't make this decision an easy one for the front office. I think whatever happens half will be with it and other half won't (fans). 

35 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Stats are what matters to so many though.

But I think  a Brisett 2 year deal could be something or whatever he is getting now extended. 

He likely won't make this decision an easy one for the front office. I think whatever happens half will be with it and other half won't (fans). 

100% agree.  I would very much like a Brissett type deal for Mariota; it's the resolve I'm hoping for.  He's a QB we can win with, and we can win big games with, but he requires a lot of help around him to work well.

A Brissett type deal allows the Titans to grab a rookie if one they like comes within striking distance, and if not, allows us the cap space to build a better roster around the QB.  It's the least risky strategy going forward IMO.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Even if the numbers end up being what he's projected, it has to be a very team friendly deal in order to bring him back, unless he plays every game like he did in the first half yesterday.

If he is his usual mixed bag self, you aren't giving him franchise QB money. 

He was so bad the first few weeks that the coaches were asked if he was close to being benched. The stats aren't going to fool the front office anymore than they've fooled those of us on here.

Forget the numbers... but we're now expecting him to play near perfect football every single game going forward?  That's not going to happen... not for anyone playing football in the NFL.  He will make mistakes, turn the ball over, make the wrong read, take a sack. It's an impossible standard you're expecting... and like the article posted a few weeks back, it's a justification for coming back later and saying, well he didn't do it... so i want him gone... when you wanted him gone all along. No one will live up to what you're expecting... not Brady, not Mahomes, no one.  

I don't expect him to get extended right now... like everyone else, I want to see more consistency.  He may not put up the best numbers next week against a very underrated Bills D.. but show me that you can make the right read and avoid the negative plays most of the time.  Put the team in a position to win, and pull that win out when you're in a position to do so.  

We know his teammates like him and respect him.  They'll put it on the line for him and they know he will too.  And now one of his staunchest supporters is back with the team.  I expect the offense to continue rolling now (when Smith gets out of his own and their way), but I don't expect near perfection from the offense as a whole or any individuals, including Marcus.  I just want to see consistency... making the right reads, making the right throws, putting the ball where it needs to go, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Forget the numbers... but we're now expecting him to play near perfect football every single game going forward?  That's not going to happen... not for anyone playing football in the NFL.  He will make mistakes, turn the ball over, make the wrong read, take a sack. It's an impossible standard you're expecting... and like the article posted a few weeks back, it's a justification for coming back later and saying, well he didn't do it... so i want him gone... when you wanted him gone all along. No one will live up to what you're expecting... not Brady, not Mahomes, no one.  

I don't expect him to get extended right now... like everyone else, I want to see more consistency.  He may not put up the best numbers next week against a very underrated Bills D.. but show me that you can make the right read and avoid the negative plays most of the time.  Put the team in a position to win, and pull that win out when you're in a position to do so.  

We know his teammates like him and respect him.  They'll put it on the line for him and they know he will too.  And now one of his staunchest supporters is back with the team.  I expect the offense to continue rolling now (when Smith gets out of his own and their way), but I don't expect near perfection from the offense as a whole or any individuals, including Marcus.  I just want to see consistency... making the right reads, making the right throws, putting the ball where it needs to go, etc.

I never said he had to be perfect. He just cant be what he was in the first three weeks. That's not good enough. He was bad, he has to be not bad.

I don't want him gone for the sake of wanting him gone or for the sake of being right.  You're trying to make it seem like that's what I want to justify you wanting to keep him. I want him gone because he's bad QB more often than not and I want to win games. 

I would absolutely love him turning it around and being a positive contributor to an at least average offense. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I never said he had to be perfect. He just cant be what he was in the first three weeks. That's not good enough. He was bad, he has to be not bad.

I don't want him gone for the sake of wanting him gone or for the sake of being right.  You're trying to make it seem like that's what I want to justify you wanting to keep him. I want him gone because he's bad QB more often than not and I want to win games. 

I would absolutely love him turning it around and being a positive contributor to an at least average offense. 

You posted "unless he plays every game like he did in the first half yesterday." 

Well he was near perfect in the first half yesterday. The only "bad" decision he made was the grounding call... Probably lost 4 yards throwing it away instead of taking the sack. 

He's not going to have many halves like he just had... Not many QBs will. Like I replied, he needs to be more consistent...with his decision making and throws. But if we're expecting him (or any other QB) to play every game like he did this past 1st half, we're going to be disappointed every single time. It's unrealistic 

13 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

You posted "unless he plays every game like he did in the first half yesterday." 

Well he was near perfect in the first half yesterday. The only "bad" decision he made was the grounding call... Probably lost 4 yards throwing it away instead of taking the sack. 

He's not going to have many halves like he just had... Not many QBs will. Like I replied, he needs to be more consistent...with his decision making and throws. But if we're expecting him (or any other QB) to play every game like he did this past 1st half, we're going to be disappointed every single time. It's unrealistic 

Unless he's playing every game well, like he did in the first half yesterday. I understand how what I said sounds, but it's not what I intended.

You touched on consistency and that's essentially what I was getting at. Even good QBs are allowed to have bad games, but lately he has been a bad QB who has good games moreso than a good QB with bad games.

• Like 1

The first half yesterday was so encouraging. Marcus looked like the guy we drafted, and we were actually putting him in the type of offense that he's needed to be in all along. That QB and that offense could make us contenders, but I'm worried about the Jekyll and Hyde type of performance that we usually get from him and the offense in general after a game like that. Yesterday was great to see and shows that those of us begging for an offense that opened things up for him weren't all taking crazy pills. If we stick with an offense like that and Art gets out of his own way we could be very successful. We just have to find that consistency which has always been our biggest Achilles Heel.

• Like 1

Just for numbers fun.  The Titans are 8-4 since the bye week last year with Marcus as starting QB. 

He has had 2,431 yards passing. 15 TDs and 3 INTs in that span. 

By comparison

Watson has 15 TDs and 3 INTs also in that span passing for 2,714 yards. With his team going 8-4 also. 

One is viewed as the next coming by many. The other is viewed as marginal. 

One was playing with half an arm in a run first offense. And the other is in a passing offense with perhaps the best wr in the game. 

What does this mean? I dunno. Just fun to look at the numbers. Lol and yes if you take this week or that week or this number things look different. But anywho lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just for numbers fun.  The Titans are 8-4 since the bye week last year with Marcus as starting QB. 

He has had 2,431 yards passing. 15 TDs and 3 INTs in that span. 

By comparison

Watson has 15 TDs and 3 INTs also in that span passing for 2,714 yards. With his team going 8-4 also. 

One is viewed as the next coming by many. The other is viewed as marginal. 

One was playing with half an arm in a run first offense. And the other is in a passing offense with perhaps the best wr in the game. 

What does this mean? I dunno. Just fun to look at the numbers. Lol

It's why watching the games matters more than box score scouting does, by a long shot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah numbers don't paint a full picture. But production wise and team wise they aren't far as some would make you think. 

I think that’s true of most NFL QBs. They were all studs in college, and the difference in talent between a franchise QB and the middling guys isn’t really that big.