Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

Here’s the AJ portion anyways. If you don’t want to pay for the Athletic, if you download the app I think you get five free stories every month.

There’s a thought. And here was a scene, a few feet away from where Saffold was speaking: Titans rookie receiver A.J. Brown walked over to Mariota’s locker, put his arm around him and said some words only the two of them could hear. The locker room was mostly cleared out by then, and a pair of team staffers watched from a few feet away as the two players embraced. There were tears, too, maybe briefly from Mariota but certainly from Brown. He was still crying when he said moments later: “I don’t even know how to feel for Marcus right now. I kind of feel responsible a little bit, like it’s my doing. I’ve got to get open.”

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It’s the most painful part of it for sure. There were no tears when VY left. Locker was a good guy, but it was clear he was done. Marcus is loved by the offensive players and such a good dude that watching his trust in his instincts and overall confidence in his game slowly disappear for three years has been super painful. I don’t think he’s a lost cause and I think he can still be a good QB, but I’ve lost any hope that can happen here.

I don't think he's a lost cause, either, but also def agree that it's not going to happen here.

Marcus is not without his faults. Art Smith isn't making Marcus not grip it and rip it when a WR has 6-inches of space and is "NFL open." Art Smith is not making Marcus look skittish in the pocket.

But this organization broke this young man. You don't go from what he was at Oregon/early in his career to what he is now. We drafted a Ferrari and played him like a Ford F-150 pick-up. 

17 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Here’s the AJ portion anyways. If you don’t want to pay for the Athletic, if you download the app I think you get five free stories every month.

There’s a thought. And here was a scene, a few feet away from where Saffold was speaking: Titans rookie receiver A.J. Brown walked over to Mariota’s locker, put his arm around him and said some words only the two of them could hear. The locker room was mostly cleared out by then, and a pair of team staffers watched from a few feet away as the two players embraced. There were tears, too, maybe briefly from Mariota but certainly from Brown. He was still crying when he said moments later: “I don’t even know how to feel for Marcus right now. I kind of feel responsible a little bit, like it’s my doing. I’ve got to get open.”

i really want to see AJ in a real offense with a good QB. he wants so badly to be great, you can tell damn near every time he speaks

9 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

good stuff here. especially on Mariota's issues coming out of college are legit the exact same as now

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/10/14/20913125/did-we-just-watch-marcus-mariotas-final-start-as-a-titan

Every offseason of his career has been spent either learning a new system or rehabbing or both. He’s never really had the time to fundamentally improve the way most young QBs can between seasons. Add in that we’ve never played to his strengths, those weaknesses are constantly highlighted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Every offseason of his career has been spent either learning a new system or rehabbing or both. He’s never really had the time to fundamentally improve the way most young QBs can between seasons. Add in that we’ve never played to his strengths, those weaknesses are constantly highlighted.

don't disagree, just interesting to see/read

What wrong with Goff?He has a offensive coach weapons..What is the difference between this year and last? Goff and MM are both similar to me, even though i think goff gets the ball out quicker..He doesn't take as many sacks. i dont really know how to answer that, but i think it is an interesting question either way. Even a guy like Rivers hasnt looked great.I feel like the O-;ine is the main issues here.

3 minutes ago, grizzans3222 said:

What wrong with Goff?He has a offensive coach weapons..What is the difference between this year and last? Goff and MM are both similar to me, even though i think goff gets the ball out quicker..He doesn't take as many sacks. i dont really know how to answer that, but i think it is an interesting question either way. Even a guy like Rivers hasnt looked great.I feel like the O-;ine is the main issues here.

Goff was never much more than an average QB, if I had to guess, the Rams scheme is no longer creating wide open receivers and Goff is really struggling to throw into tighter windows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

And I fault the team that took him knowing he had these issues and don't do much to try to fix them or hid them.

Short with smallish frame
Too willing to challenge into double coverage
mechanical inconsistencies can cause throws to sail
Needs to prove he can throw on time to the middle of the field

Some of the things said about Kyler Murray. So what do the Cardinals do?
Put him shotgun majority of the time to help with seeing over and creating throwing lanes
Give him quick reads
Give him a system that he ran in college to cut down the learning curve to the NFL.

So if we take a QB knowing he has these weaknesses, why do we give him a system that calls for him to overcome those weaknesses.  Then why do we not bring in someone to work specifically on these weaknesses and while doing that, implement things that highlight the strengths. 

I see that article pointing to his college weaknesses and I don't see it as he never grew. I see it as we never developed him.  
 I can't fault a student for not being able to do algebra if they never were good at multiplication and I knew this. I need to teach him how to multiply. 

• Like 1

Everyone wants an offensive coach, but I don't see them being any more successful than defensive ones consistently. Yeah, Andy Reid is great. So is Bill Belichick. As an offensive guy like McVay, what do you do when the league catches up to your system? 

It takes a lot for a coach to be successful in this league, and not all of it they can control.

Just a reminder how the experts praise you for something and then critical of you when they say you haven't improved. 

Stumbled upon these saved tweets. The video is gone. But. This is why I won't hold anything they say too highly. 

Praise you one day and bring you down the next. 

It's coming for Watson and even Mahomes. Wentz has got and is getting it. Goff is getting it. 

I think they crown these guys too soon. 

Crazy Marcus is still only 25 years old. By QB standards he hasn't even reached half his career yet. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just a reminder how the experts praise you for something and then critical of you when they say you haven't improved. 

Stumbled upon these saved tweets. The video is gone. But. This is why I won't hold anything they say too highly. 

Praise you one day and bring you down the next. 

It's coming for Watson and even Mahomes. Wentz has got and is getting it. Goff is getting it. 

I think they crown these guys too soon. 

Crazy Marcus is still only 25 years old. By QB standards he hasn't even reached half his career yet. 

They're ******* vultures and I hate that people take them seriously