Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

4 minutes ago, 615finest said:

What could have been 😩

Pocket was getting tight and he makes the tough throw. He doesn’t do that anymore. He either walks into the sacks or tries to escape the pocket only to get sacked/throw a bad ball/etc. I think everybody was excited after the 2016 season(aside from the broken leg).

• Like 1

So now that we can really hone in on QBs in this draft class, who would everybody ideally like to have as the next face of our Franchise? I've said it before, but I'd really like a pocket passer that can win games with his arm. I'm pretty much done with these athletic project QBs. Joe Burrow and Jake Fromm are probably my top two at the moment. The only way I'd be okay with a guy like Jalen Hurts would be if we fired Vrabel and hired Lincoln Riley. I don't trust anybody from our staff to really play to any athletic QB's strengths. I also really like Jacob Eason's skill set as a passer. He's got a real cannon, but his inconsistent play scares me a bit. Brian Lewerke from Michigan State is a mid round guy that I'm starting to like quite a bit. Makes quick decisions, pretty poised in the pocket, accurate, and comes from a pro style offense. Overall, it feels like there's some options for us, and it'll be interesting to see what route we decide to take. I could see us going the route of a bridge QB like Tannehill until whoever we draft is ready.

3 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

So now that we can really hone in on QBs in this draft class, who would everybody ideally like to have as the next face of our Franchise? I've said it before, but I'd really like a pocket passer that can win games with his arm. I'm pretty much done with these athletic project QBs. Joe Burrow and Jake Fromm are probably my top two at the moment. The only way I'd be okay with a guy like Jalen Hurts would be if we fired Vrabel and hired Lincoln Riley. I don't trust anybody from our staff to really play to any athletic QB's strengths. I also really like Jacob Eason's skill set as a passer. He's got a real cannon, but his inconsistent play scares me a bit. Brian Lewerke from Michigan State is a mid round guy that I'm starting to like quite a bit. Makes quick decisions, pretty poised in the pocket, accurate, and comes from a pro style offense. Overall, it feels like there's some options for us, and it'll be interesting to see what route we decide to take. I could see us going the route of a bridge QB like Tannehill until whoever we draft is ready.

I mean, in the unlikely event we were picking high enough, Tua would be obvious.  But I think there's a very outside chance he goes past No. 2, so no chance.

I like Burrow a lot now that I've seen him in action a couple times, and especially the Florida tape.  He's my No. 2 QB in the class easily now.

I like Fromm more than most, but that SC tape ain't friendly.  He's gonna need to have a good game against Florida and Auburn to stay near the top.  I still like him, but not as much.

Herbert, eh.  He puts up a great performance statistically, but I don't know.  There's just something about him that makes me say meh.  I will enjoy watching him take on Washington this weekend.

Eason I'm pretty lukewarm on.  You want to sign a stop-gap veteran and take him in the late second round?  Why not.  Wouldn't take him in the first, not now, at least.

Love and Hurts, nah.

I'd love to snag Burrow, but it's really looking like he's gonna ascend out of reach, unless Tannehill really, really sucks.  But just our run game and defense will win us two or three more games at the absolute minimum, so I'm thinking a top 5 pick is still very unlikely, and we'd need that for one of the top two.  QB3 means, right now, we probably choose between Herbert and Fromm if we pick a QB there.  Eason, Hurts, or Love would probably all be available in the second if we'd rather add a stud pass rusher or tackle.

19 minutes ago, titanrick said:

I'd be fine with moving up at the expense of 1 or 2 first round picks.  Everyone always screams at this approach, but the Texans and Chiefs don't seem to be having many regrets.  Nor do the Rams although Goff has looked off lately.

we've got enough talent on this team right now that we absolutely should not think twice about giving up some future draft capital to go get a QB we like.

• Like 1

Marcus's regression from 2016 to today is something that will always baffle me. Granted, his overall 2016 play was probably overrated by fans, but clearly he had the skills to pay the bills and seemed to be on his way to a long-term stay in Tennessee.

His 2016 injury against the Jags certainly was a setback, but it was also a broken bone. Not like he tore his ACL or anything. He did go through a variety of injuries over the next 2 seasons, but he's just a shell of his former self.

Was 2016 simply his peak as a player? I have a hard time believing that. His issues are more mental than physical, so I guess taking a beating behind a bad OL was truly his undoing.

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

Marcus's regression from 2016 to today is something that will always baffle me. Granted, his overall 2016 play was probably overrated by fans, but clearly he had the skills to pay the bills and seemed to be on his way to a long-term stay in Tennessee.

His 2016 injury against the Jags certainly was a setback, but it was also a broken bone. Not like he tore his ACL or anything. He did go through a variety of injuries over the next 2 seasons, but he's just a shell of his former self.

Was 2016 simply his peak as a player? I have a hard time believing that. His issues are more mental than physical, so I guess taking a beating behind a bad OL was truly his undoing.

I agree.  QBs that really suck - like most of FF seems to believe about Mariota - don't have the moments he's had in his career.  They don't bring a team back on the road in the playoffs from a 21 point deficit to win.  This is not a case of "He could never play" but rather "He was progressing to be great and suddenly hit this roadblock".  That's one reason I'm dreading him on another team.  If they can just protect him at an average pace and he loses the skittishness in the pocket that he has developed, he can be very good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

by my eye the two biggest things mariota has lost that he had in 2016 are pocket presence and his willingness to let it rip into tight windows. i think some of it has to have been due to getting hit so much, but idk. we saw it start to manifest (though nowhere near as bad as it is now) even in 2017 when the OL wasn't nearly this bad. it really is baffling.

Just now, titanrick said:

I agree.  QBs that really suck - like most of FF seems to believe about Mariota - don't have the moments he's had in his career.  They don't bring a team back on the road in the playoffs from a 21 point deficit to win.  This is not a case of "He could never play" but rather "He was progressing to be great and suddenly hit this roadblock".  That's one reason I'm dreading him on another team.  If they can just protect him at an average pace and he loses the skittishness in the pocket that he has developed, he can be very good.

and he's only 25

11 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

He is not without his faults, and I hate for it to come at the expense of the Titans, but I think what he needs more than anything is just a new start. I just said it in another thread, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he ends up in a New Orleans or a Chargers type situation and makes something of his career, especially if he can catch on while either Brees or Rivers are still playing and sit behind them for a year or so. As someone else said, he's only 25. 

Edited by ShupacTakur

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

by my eye the two biggest things mariota has lost that he had in 2016 are pocket presence and his willingness to let it rip into tight windows. i think some of it has to have been due to getting hit so much, but idk. we saw it start to manifest (though nowhere near as bad as it is now) even in 2017 when the OL wasn't nearly this bad. it really is baffling.

2 hours ago, ShupacTakur said:

He is not without his faults, and I hate for it to come at the expense of the Titans, but I think what he needs more than anything is just a new start. I just said it in another thread, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he ends up in a New Orleans or a Chargers type situation and makes something of his career, especially if he can catch on while either Brees or Rivers are still playing and sit behind them for a year or so. As someone else said, he's only 25. 

I agree for the most part.  I think Mariota has (or at the very least had) the tools to be a successful QB, but he wasn't managed right, and now injuries and whatnot have shaken him.  He may not be done in the league, but he's clearly done in Tennessee.  And even if he was theoretically salvageable on this team, I don't think the coaching staff(s) have done a very good job of maximizing his returns.

It kind of feels like Robinson and the staff aren't on the same page either.  In free agency, the big signing other than Saffold was a slot receiver who should theoretically provide a solid dumpoff receiver option when he's under pressure, but the offense hasn't really used him like that.  Like, at all.  Remember how we all though the underneath passing game was gonna be deadly with Henry, Walker, and Humphries?  That seemed to be what Robinson was building, but it's not the product that we got.

I don't know.  I still like Mariota, but he's definitely not making a case to keep him, and at the bare minimum, I think neither party is going to have success with the other.

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

thanks for sharing KT but man if there's anyone i'm not particularly inclined to listen to on this, it's rishard freakin matthews hahaha

Agree on this but Eric Decker said the same thing and we all still liked Mariota then so we bashed Decker lol.

I never thought it was a huge deal, but certain players seem to disagree.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Agree on this but Eric Decker said the same thing and we all still liked Mariota then so we bashed Decker lol.

I never thought it was a huge deal, but certain players seem to disagree.

The Decker Quote for those that don't know.

But I didn't think Decker was wrong for what he said. I disagreed that you have to be Drew Brees in the middle of the huddle to be good, but you have to speak up. If he is just being a mute then yeah that is an issue. If he is afraid to say anything that is a problem. You can't be passive to the point where people are running over you.

I know Matthews isn't like A1 trusted valuable source. However, has he really been a liar? lol 

He said Lafluer was a jerk or something like that. I can believe that.
I don't think he'd have to lie about Marcus or Tannehill. He didn't bad mouth Marcus. I think he is just saying people respect him so much they don't correct him. Like telling someone you care about their breath stinks. lol

Grain of salt but it does give a small glimpse on what could have been a factor in the failure of Marcus to develop at a fast or acceptable rate. 

• Like 1