Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Whether he's right or wrong, it's hard to take Matthews seriously after the way everything ended with him. Kind of sad to say, but it seems like other than Walker, Matthews is probably the next closest player Mariota came to ever "jiving" with in the passing game.  

• Like 1

Is anybody under the impression that if we had Mahomes here that he would be the elite player he is under Andy Reid and the Chiefs?

I have zero doubt that he would be wasted here just like MM. Not that I compare their talent...but rememeber that when KC drafted PM he was certianly not a sure fire franchise guy...he was a sit for a couple of years and learn guy with a huge arm and a high ceiling, that would likely not be met under this staff. 

I say that just to say I don't trust this staff to pick a guy to get us over the hump...simply because we don't run an offense that would allow even Mahomes to be a super star, let alone a rookie to come in and look like a legit franchise QB. I think this whole staff will be gone after next year and the new guy will want his guy, so trading any future picks will only serve to handicap our teams future.  

Of the possible options in the draft, Burrows looks like the only competent start right away guy, but we will likely be way too far back to get him. Fromm and Tua look way too deliberate to be NFL game changers...Tua could be effective early but once teams get film he will likely regress.

RT, Flacco, Newton, or some other retread will be the best choice just to delay the drafting of a QB one year...hopefully by a competent offensive mind to run an up to date system.

Just now, Dr.Doom52 said:

Is anybody under the impression that if we had Mahomes here that he would be the elite player he is under Andy Reid and the Chiefs?

I have zero doubt that he would be wasted here just like MM. Not that I compare their talent...but rememeber that when KC drafted PM he was certianly not a sure fire franchise guy...he was a sit for a couple of years and learn guy with a huge arm and a high ceiling, that would likely not be met under this staff. 

I say that just to say I don't trust this staff to pick a guy to get us over the hump...simply because we don't run an offense that would allow even Mahomes to be a super star, let alone a rookie to come in and look like a legit franchise QB. I think this whole staff will be gone after next year and the new guy will want his guy, so trading any future picks will only serve to handicap our teams future.  

Of the possible options in the draft, Burrows looks like the only competent start right away guy, but we will likely be way too far back to get him. Fromm and Tua look way too deliberate to be NFL game changers...Tua could be effective early but once teams get film he will likely regress.

RT, Flacco, Newton, or some other retread will be the best choice just to delay the drafting of a QB one year...hopefully by a competent offensive mind to run an up to date system.

Mahomes would fail here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

The Decker Quote for those that don't know.

But I didn't think Decker was wrong for what he said. I disagreed that you have to be Drew Brees in the middle of the huddle to be good, but you have to speak up. If he is just being a mute then yeah that is an issue. If he is afraid to say anything that is a problem. You can't be passive to the point where people are running over you.

I know Matthews isn't like A1 trusted valuable source. However, has he really been a liar? lol 

He said Lafluer was a jerk or something like that. I can believe that.
I don't think he'd have to lie about Marcus or Tannehill. He didn't bad mouth Marcus. I think he is just saying people respect him so much they don't correct him. Like telling someone you care about their breath stinks. lol

Grain of salt but it does give a small glimpse on what could have been a factor in the failure of Marcus to develop at a fast or acceptable rate. 

One thing I've always thought is that guys like Delanie Walker treat him more like a little brother that they're sticking up for than they do the leader of the team.

You love your little brother, but you're not looking up to him. Generally he's looking up to you.

That's just kind of how I felt about it.

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

The quitter has a point. I always mentioned that once we saw that fiery Mariota, I knew we were going to win... When he sprung Henry on that block in the platoffs... He had that swag... The team responded and immediately rallied to him (the d came into the field to him). When he stiff armed that Jag... stared him down... The team responded to that... The block on the Giant, etc... 

The team fed off of that and you knew we weren't going to lose. But he didn't show that enough... The quitter is right. 

The quitter's also right that hes a loved teammate... You could see the difference in Lewans response earlier this week... Something along the lines of him and RT dont have to gel, he just needs to block for him. He sang a completely different tune with Mariota...

But maybe because of that or a part of that, no one could get in Mariota's face and tell him to snap out of it... To man the f up, and be the leader we needed him to be... Even if it was the opposite of who he normally is. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kookie23 said:

Maybe grown *** men who get paid millions of dollars shouldn't need a QB to get them "fired up" or any other tired cliche sports talk jargon.

But hey, I'm just a crazy person.

I was thinking the same damn thing. These dudes who get paid millions of dollars to play a kids game need another guy getting paid millions of dollars to play a kids game to pump them up so they can perform? Like, is that an actual thing?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I was thinking the same damn thing. These dudes who get paid millions of dollars to play a kids game need another guy getting paid millions of dollars to play a kids game to pump them up so they can perform? Like, is that an actual thing?

I guess I could see it. It’s just a job and a grind to many of them. Same ole same ole each week and season so having someone to get your adrenaline up might be a thing. 

18 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I guess I could see it. It’s just a job and a grind to many of them. Same ole same ole each week and season so having someone to get your adrenaline up might be a thing. 

Dodgers leaders need to pump Kershaw up a bit more during the playoffs, I guess.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

The quitter has a point. I always mentioned that once we saw that fiery Mariota, I knew we were going to win... When he sprung Henry on that block in the platoffs... He had that swag... The team responded and immediately rallied to him (the d came into the field to him). When he stiff armed that Jag... stared him down... The team responded to that... The block on the Giant, etc... 

The team fed off of that and you knew we weren't going to lose. But he didn't show that enough... The quitter is right. 

The quitter's also right that hes a loved teammate... You could see the difference in Lewans response earlier this week... Something along the lines of him and RT dont have to gel, he just needs to block for him. He sang a completely different tune with Mariota...

But maybe because of that or a part of that, no one could get in Mariota's face and tell him to snap out of it... To man the f up, and be the leader we needed him to be... Even if it was the opposite of who he normally is. 

I hear Rishard's point loud and clear. Now, I don't necessarily think that Mariota's personality/leadership style was a SIGNIFICANT reason why he failed here (that's on coaching and injuries), but it's interesting to think what a little rah-rah on the sidelines in one of our 10000 stagnant offensive games would've/could've done for this team.

Every player is different and obviously you need to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk, but Mariota needs a little bit of Phillip Rivers in him to whip his boys into shape.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I hear Rishard's point loud and clear. Now, I don't necessarily think that Mariota's personality/leadership style was a SIGNIFICANT reason why he failed here (that's on coaching and injuries), but it's interesting to think what a little rah-rah on the sidelines in one of our 10000 stagnant offensive games would've/could've done for this team.

Every player is different and obviously you need to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk, but Mariota needs a little bit of Phillip Rivers in him to whip his boys into shape.

Yeah, I know some talk about millionaires not needing it... But we don't walk in their shoes. They're normal people just like us... A-type personalities and physically gifted, but still human. If anything, the environment closest related may be military (having been neither a pro or college athlete nor military, I'm only assuming... And I very well could be wrong)... Outside the obvious difference that soldiers face with daily life and death situations. I mean it in the brotherhood that's seemingly developed within the team /unit. And just like in the military, you need leadership... And it may be  the toughest circumstances to be a leader in, when most of the people you're leading are also a types and should be self motivated. 

That's why I loved the hiring of Vrabel. I thought he'd be the answer to that vocal leadership void.  A leader of men was the phrase I think was thrown around. We have it in other players... Walker or sure... Woodyard I think... Lewan maybe. But we were missing that one center piece... And if it wasn't going to be Mariota, then maybe Vrabel would be it. It hasn't worked out so far this season though.