Week 7: VIKINGS (3-2-1) at Jets (3-3)

swede700

Sam Darnold will be the 3rd rookie QB that the Vikings will face in 7 games. How many yards will he pass for?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Sam Darnold will be the 3rd rookie QB that the Vikings will face in 7 games. How many yards will he pass for?

• 0 - 196 yds (Josh Allen's total)
    • 197 yds - 240 yds (Josh Rosen's total)
    • 241 - 299 yds
    • 300+ yds

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Historically over Cousins career he's made those mistakes. While he's only had one so far for us, that's not a trend that can continue if we are to beat some of the better teams in the NFL.

I'm not bad-mouthing him either. I really like Cousins. I am just acknowledging what most Redskins fans already know and what is evident based on the multiple full games I've watched of him.

What have you seen so far that would lead you to believe that the situations are comparable? You said he needs to “not throw stupid ints”, which he hasn’t. Not really sure what you are getting at.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

What have you seen so far that would lead you to believe that the situations are comparable? You said he needs to “not throw stupid ints”, which he hasn’t. Not really sure what you are getting at.

He did last week.

11 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

He did last week.

The costly fumbles don't help either. Yeah yeah, OL isn't great but he's proven to be one of the most careless QBs in the pocket in terms of ball handling and this problem has dated back for years. The OL will likely never be great in MN given the resources tied into QB, WR and on defense. I don't remember the Redskins fans complaining about the OL much but Cousins constantly put the ball on the ground.

Just curious to why we don't blame Ints on the OL when Cousins is rushed into a bad throw, yet it seems that the OL is regularly blamed as the scape goat for Cousins fumbling. Seems like a double standard. Both situations demonstrate carelessness in the pocket. 

Russell Wilson has a higher fumbling rate than Cousins does.  It hasn't seem to bother his perception, so I'm not sure why we should be all that concerned.  It's certainly a little higher than we'd want, but if he continues to make plays, I'm not worried at all.  I don't expect him to be Drew Brees or Tom Brady.  People seem to think that Washington's OL was better than it really was, maybe because of the name recognition of Scherff and Williams.  They were a top OL in 2016, but every other year, they were middle of the road at best to absolutely horrible last year (worse than the Vikings' OL).  

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Russell Wilson has a higher fumbling rate than Cousins does.  It hasn't seem to bother his perception, so I'm not sure why we should be all that concerned.  It's certainly a little higher than we'd want, but if he continues to make plays, I'm not worried at all.  I don't expect him to be Drew Brees or Tom Brady.  People seem to think that Washington's OL was better than it really was, maybe because of the name recognition of Scherff and Williams.  They were a top OL in 2016, but every other year, they were middle of the road at best to absolutely horrible last year (worse than the Vikings' OL).  

Wilsons game is so much different though. He's running a lot more with the football than Cousins as a rushing threat or to buy more time in the pocket. I don't think you can compare the two situations but I get your point. I think Wilson gets a pass because of how he plays.

Russell Wilson fumbles every 57.6 times he touches the ball, in the regular season. 

Cousins fumbles every 61 times he touches the ball. 

The perception is different because Wilson runs the ball more, but fumbles are fumbles. 

Its still better than Daunte Culpepper, who managed to cough up the ball every 39 times he touched the ball. 

The Minnesota Vikings have only faced one veteran quarterback this year. On Sunday in the Meadowlands, former USC star Sam Darnold will become the third rookie quarterback to face the Vikings in seven weeks. Two other foes, Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, are entering their third years in the NFL and Jimmy Garoppolo made just the eighth start of his career on opening day.

Head coach Mike Zimmer has generally dominated unseasoned quarterbacks. Last year, the Vikings defeated Mitch Trubisky and Brett Hundley twice, easily beat DeShone Kizer and slowed Jared Goff to seven points.

That trend isn’t new. Quarterbacks in their first, second or third years in the NFL have only beaten Zimmer five times in 22 tries. Fifteen of those games have featured multiple sacks, 11 have gone under 200 yards and six have included multiple interceptions. Those numbers don’t include Garoppolo, who went 15-for-33 with 261 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/10/prepping-another-rookie-vikings-defense-slows-inexperienced-qbs/

Archived