Week 7: VIKINGS (3-2-1) at Jets (3-3)

swede700

Sam Darnold will be the 3rd rookie QB that the Vikings will face in 7 games. How many yards will he pass for?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Sam Darnold will be the 3rd rookie QB that the Vikings will face in 7 games. How many yards will he pass for?

• 0 - 196 yds (Josh Allen's total)
    • 197 yds - 240 yds (Josh Rosen's total)
    • 241 - 299 yds
    • 300+ yds

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The costly fumbles don't help either. Yeah yeah, OL isn't great but he's proven to be one of the most careless QBs in the pocket in terms of ball handling and this problem has dated back for years. The OL will likely never be great in MN given the resources tied into QB, WR and on defense. I don't remember the Redskins fans complaining about the OL much but Cousins constantly put the ball on the ground.

Just curious to why we don't blame Ints on the OL when Cousins is rushed into a bad throw, yet it seems that the OL is regularly blamed as the scape goat for Cousins fumbling. Seems like a double standard. Both situations demonstrate carelessness in the pocket. 

Redskins OL last ssn was severely depleted...they had a lot of injuries last season at OL...that's one of the reasons why Cousins had more fumbles last season than before

Vikings running back Dalvin Cook was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice, putting him on track for a return Sunday. Cook missed the past two games with a hamstring injury.

The Vikings, though, were missing four starters. Minnesota lists nose tackle Linval Joseph with injuries to his ankle, knee and shoulder. Offensive tackle Riley Reiff (foot), safety Andrew Sendejo (groin) and defensive end Everson Griffen (not injury related) also sat out.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/17/dalvin-cook-practices-but-linval-joseph-sits-out/

21 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

What have you seen so far that would lead you to believe that the situations are comparable? You said he needs to “not throw stupid ints”, which he hasn’t. Not really sure what you are getting at.

That's a good point. I guess I can't argue that. 

Vikings wide receivers Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen are a handful for opposing secondaries under the best of circumstances and the Jets’ circumstances may be well short of that in Sunday’s game. The Jets played without cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson and Buster Skrine last weekend because of injuries and their status did not change on Wednesday. Johnson remained out with a quad injury and Skrine is still in the concussion protocol, which led Jets head coach Todd Bowles to say what you’d expect when asked about the task at hand for his secondary. The Jets haven’t ruled either cornerback out, but whoever winds up at corner won’t have the help of safety Marcus Maye as he’s out with a broken thumb. That will add to the challenge the Jets face as they look for a third straight win.

Bowles: “It’s a huge challenge. Obviously, we get a challenge every week, but these two guys do everything well. Usually you get a speed guy, a deep guy or a short guy. Both of these guys can do everything.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/18/jets-preparing-for-huge-challenge-from-vikings-wrs/

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings running back Dalvin Cook was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice, putting him on track for a return Sunday. Cook missed the past two games with a hamstring injury.

The Vikings, though, were missing four starters. Minnesota lists nose tackle Linval Joseph with injuries to his ankle, knee and shoulder. Offensive tackle Riley Reiff (foot), safety Andrew Sendejo (groin) and defensive end Everson Griffen (not injury related) also sat out.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/17/dalvin-cook-practices-but-linval-joseph-sits-out/

Linval sitting out practice isn't a huge surprise, especially with the way he got dinged up last week.  I'm sure he'll be playing on Sunday though...the others?  Who knows.  

Rookie quarterback Sam Darnold may lack experience, but he doesn’t lack talent or confidence. In the Jets current two-game winning streak, Darnold has 398 passing yards and five touchdowns on 34 completions and he’s been the triggerman for an offense that has put up 69 points in the last seven quarters.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-vikings-jets-storylines-to-watch?sf200217827=1

43 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Linval sitting out practice isn't a huge surprise, especially with the way he got dinged up last week.  I'm sure he'll be playing on Sunday though

I hope you are right. The signing of a DT over a DB to fill Hughes' spot gives me pause from being as sure as you. We'll see. Maybe as the week progresses the team will feel more comfortable with Joseph's status and cut Parry in favor of a CB yet. Or maybe the team just wanted to increase the numbers at DT even with Joseph healthy.

When last year's first rounder took the ACL injury the team signed another guy at his position to fill the spot. First round picks taking ACL injuries in their rookie campaign is unfortunate but Chad Greenway gives me hope that they'll be otherwise durable and productive for the Vikings beyond their rookie contracts. It will end their season but they have a good chance of recovering for next season.  Meanwhile, Joseph's injury is more temporary. This is why I suspect Parry may be a shorter-term signing owing to Joseph's current condition. They can sign Hughes' replacement to the roster after Joseph's injury resolves. That is assuming they don't want to decrease their number of CBs.

I love Marcus Sherels and was happy the team again made his doubters wrong when they kept him on the 53 but I really do not like the thought of him playing the dime. Given how often we see dings to Rhodes and Waynes the team is too close for my taste to Sherels playing the dime in a game. Perhaps Zimmer is more comfortable playing three safeties and is okay with the current number of CBs. Since I don't really count Sherels as a CB in anything other than absolute emergency situations it looks to me like the team only has four CBs on the roster. I would want to use a roster spot on another CB more than another DT when Joseph is healthy which is why I wonder a bit about Joseph's health this week.

Thinking of Sherels as a CB is to me like thinking of LS Kevin McDermott as a center or P Wile as a kicker. Sure, in an emergency, maybe but generally you need someone else to do that job.

Of course, not signing a CB might just be a reflection of the reality that there are not CBs that are free agents that are worth a roster spot. Hope the team doesn't take more CB injuries. Even then, six DTs is a big number if you expect them all healthy for the game. There are other positions the team could sign a player at too.

They basically never play dime. I think that was less than 10 snaps last year.

They didn't sign another CB because they have 5 good safeties and they're using Kearse as a slot CB. Depth chart will probably be: 

CB (outside): Rhodes, Waynes, Hill (Alexander might play outside too)
NCB: Alexander, Kearse (Iloka might get used here too)

Sherels isn't a bad option for a depth corner. He played pretty well in his limited usage the last few years. 

7 minutes ago, Krauser said:

They basically never play dime. I think that was less than 10 snaps last year.

They didn't sign another CB because they have 5 good safeties and they're using Kearse as a slot CB. Depth chart will probably be: 

CB (outside): Rhodes, Waynes, Hill (Alexander might play outside too)
NCB: Alexander, Kearse (Iloka might get used here too)

Sherels isn't a bad option for a depth corner. He played pretty well in his limited usage the last few years. 

Good to know. Perhaps the need for another CB isn't there but using the roster spot on another DT still gives me a bit of pause about whether Joseph will be able to go this weekend. To be clear, it doesn't convince me that Joseph won't be ready to play. It just makes me a bit less sure of his availability than how sure @swede700 is of Joseph being ready to go against the Jets. It makes me consider the possibility that the Vikings are not as sure as Mr Swede of Joseph's availability as well.

Given Bower and Griffens injury the team appear to be more in need of DEs than DTs. It doesn't make me feel great if the plan is to play safeties at CB and DTs at DE. It seems more likely to me that the Parry signing is more about needing another big fatty ready to plug the middle in case Joseph has to sit. I won't be surprised to see Parry cut before the game if the Vikings become certain that Joseph will be available.

49 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Good to know. Perhaps the need for another CB isn't there but using the roster spot on another DT still gives me a bit of pause about whether Joseph will be able to go this weekend. To be clear, it doesn't convince me that Joseph won't be ready to play. It just makes me a bit less sure of his availability than how sure @swede700 is of Joseph being ready to go against the Jets. It makes me consider the possibility that the Vikings are not as sure as Mr Swede of Joseph's availability as well.

Given Bower and Griffens injury the team appear to be more in need of DEs than DTs. It doesn't make me feel great if the plan is to play safeties at CB and DTs at DE. It seems more likely to me that the Parry signing is more about needing another big fatty ready to plug the middle in case Joseph has to sit. I won't be surprised to see Parry cut before the game if the Vikings become certain that Joseph will be available.

Parry did make the team out of camp so they like him as a backup. I am surprised that they didn't sign a DE though. Hopefully that's a good sign for Griffen and Bower

Archived