Tom Brady gets his 200th regular season win

lancerman

On 20/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, lancerman said:

Tom Brady has more wins over .500 in the post season than second place Joe Montana has.

Brady: 27-10 (17 over .500)

Montana: 16-7 (9 wind over .500)

The next active QB is Ben with 13 wins. He’d have to be a wildcard and win the Super Bowl 3 times and then have 2 additional playoff wins (essentially a Super Bowl appearance with a top seed) to tie Brady as quickly as possible. The reality is most QB’s are off pace to get close within a couple years of being in the league even if they had the longevity of Brady

Pretty much, the QB who will have the best chance at Brady's playoff win records probably isn't even born yet.

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

That link infers that LeBron is the second most popular athlete on earth due to his social commentary, namely calling Trump a "bum"?  The list has got to be BS as well, by the way (on their part), the continents of Europe, South America, and even a lot of Asia now are obsessed with soccer. For the world cup final recently - "Audience reach is expected to exceed that of World Cup 2014, with some 3.5 billion viewers from 200 countries". Whereas Statista state "the 2018 NBA Finals were watched by an average of 17.7 million viewers." They have Ronaldo as number 1, and so you can expect players like Messi and Neymar to be right behind him. 

I do agree that LeBron is probably more recognisable to most compared to Tom though. Globally. 

You’re forgetting that LeBron isn’t simply an NBA athlete. LeBron is an OLYMPIC athlete and thus his popularity spans far past just the NBA.

The World Cup reach was 3.4 billion viewers, the Summer Olympics viewership reach was 3.6 billion viewers. Obviously viewers won’t watch every game for basketball, but the reach is still going to be somewhat comparable to the World Cup. LBJ is an international athlete, not just an NBA athlete. What’s more his dominance in his sport and being the face of the sport is what allows his popularity to transcend above even some of the most popular soccer players (outside of the most notable).

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/WorldFame/espn-world-fame-100-2018

Here is another list that produces the same results as Business Insider with LeBron as top 3 in popularity. Tom Brady is only listed at #38 on the list.

The entire point of my statement was countering a statement of network coverage between Brady and LeBron upon retiring where Brady would receive 10x the coverage. Of which I vehemently disagreed with. For reasons of which I have expounded on here and previously.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

You’re forgetting that LeBron isn’t simply an NBA athlete. LeBron is an OLYMPIC athlete and thus his popularity spans far past just the NBA.

The World Cup reach was 3.4 billion viewers, the Summer Olympics viewership reach was 3.6 billion viewers. Obviously viewers won’t watch every game for basketball, but the reach is still going to be somewhat comparable to the World Cup. LBJ is an international athlete, not just an NBA athlete. What’s more his dominance in his sport and being the face of the sport is what allows his popularity to transcend above even some of the most popular soccer players (outside of the most notable).

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/WorldFame/espn-world-fame-100-2018

Here is another list that produces the same results as Business Insider with LeBron as top 3 in popularity. Tom Brady is only listed at #38 on the list.

The entire point of my statement was countering a statement of network coverage between Brady and LeBron upon retiring where Brady would receive 10x the coverage. Of which I vehemently disagreed with. For reasons of which I have expounded on here and previously.

ESPN, CBS, NBC, and Fox aren’t coveromg for a global audience lol. It’s almost guaranteed Brady’s last game close to double whatever Lebron’s is even is Lebron’s is a game 7 Finals and Brady’s is a regular season finale. 

And honestly, yes Lebron is more global, but his retirement will not be as big as any major soccer player

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

ESPN, CBS, NBC, and Fox aren’t coveromg for a global audience lol. It’s almost guaranteed Brady’s last game close to double whatever Lebron’s is even is Lebron’s is a game 7 Finals and Brady’s is a regular season finale. 

And honestly, yes Lebron is more global, but his retirement will not be as big as any major soccer player

LeBron’s retirement will have a bigger global reach than Tom Brady, this isn’t even arguable. In terms of COVERAGE in the United States, LeBron’s coverage would be just as popular. TV ratings as a means of guaging overall coverage isn’t accurate. That’s a specific audience segment, usually older. Most people who watch the NBA are younger. They’re more likely to stream it, illegally or not. What’s more they’re more active on social media. LeBron retires and his internet/social presence is going to be more massive and far reaching than Brady’s. Especially if he retires in the LA market.

Edit: But I’m very much off topic and so I apologize for dragging this topic off the topic.

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

LeBron’s retirement will have a bigger global reach than Tom Brady, this isn’t even arguable. In terms of COVERAGE in the United States, LeBron’s coverage would be just as popular. TV ratings as a means of guaging overall coverage isn’t accurate. That’s a specific audience segment, usually older. Most people who watch the NBA are younger. They’re more likely to stream it, illegally or not. What’s more they’re more active on social media. LeBron retires and his internet/social presence is going to be more massive and far reaching than Brady’s. Especially if he retires in the LA market.

Globally it won’t be as big of a deal as it is in the United States. And in the United States it will be comparable. That’s the best way to say it 

Just now, lancerman said:

Globally it won’t be as big of a deal as it is in the United States. And in the United States it will be comparable. That’s the best way to say it 

I agree. It’s going to be about the same in the US. But that’s the point of contest. No way he’s going to see 10x less coverage as Brady in the US, such is a highly reckless statement.

i feel like bron is a type of a player who will make a big deal out of his retirement and make a huge announcement before the season starts.    i'm not sure if brady will ever do that. 

anyway in this country bron and brady are pretty much equal.    both are media darlings.  every football topic has brady in them.  every basketball topic has bron in them.  let's call it a wash.  both are most talked about players in each sports.  same thing couldn't be said between MJ and montana back in late 80's or early 90's.  this is why brady is a transcendent player.   NFL player back then wasn't even more recognizable then baseball players back then.  

but globally, nobody really cares about the NFL.  i've been to 3 different countries( past 5 years.  NFL is an afterthought.   it has a zero coverage.  it's like a premier league here in the USA. some die hards will watch it, but it's not an everyday topic.  

20 hours ago, Wolverine_Joe said:

but globally, nobody really cares about the NFL.  i've been to 3 different countries( past 5 years.  NFL is an afterthought.   it has a zero coverage.  it's like a premier league here in the USA. some die hards will watch it, but it's not an everyday topic.  

That's a good comparison. Take it the UK was one of those 3 then?

On 10/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

That's a good comparison. Take it the UK was one of those 3 then?

yes.  i also lived in london while back.  they don't get our football just like most of us here don't get their football.    that's why this was surprising and refreshing.  lol

On 10/15/2018 at 2:33 PM, ET80 said:

Enjoy it while you can, it's rare we get to see this level of greatness in a lifetime.

Is it? If you are in your 80's you've seen pretty much everybody except the early MLB greats. Everybody from Baugh, Chamberlain and Pele to Jordan, Gretzky and Rice to Brady, Lebron, and Bolt.

On 24/10/2018 at 12:32 PM, TXsteeler said:

Is it? If you are in your 80's you've seen pretty much everybody except the early MLB greats. Everybody from Baugh, Chamberlain and Pele to Jordan, Gretzky and Rice to Brady, Lebron, and Bolt.

Lol at in their 80's...Also, i think he's talking about the NFL.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:32 AM, TXsteeler said:

It's weird because we don't know how people are going to be viewed years from now. Like no offense but the only athlete from 50 years ago (so 70's) that we still consider the GOAT is Ali and that's debatable (most boxing fans will put Robinson or Louis in the same class). And a lot of that has to do with the health of that particular sport.  The last generation of GOATs had their peaks in the 80's/90's. Gretzky, Jordan, Montana. All in the same 15 year time period for the most part. I don't think that's a coincidence. I think it's telling that all the older guys (Howe, Unitas/Brown, Wilt) were just far enough out of memory for the current fans to kind of put them in the past as being a different era. I also think it's no coincidence that 20 years later Brady and Lebron started making their claim as more fans are coming in who didn't watch the last generation. 

In my opinion it's very cyclical. In 50 years someone like Jordan will be in the same position we view Wilt now. Yeah he did unreal things but it's such a different era and enough people weren't there that it almost doesn't get consideration. Brady's real advantage to me is that from an accolades perspective, it's going to be difficult for someone to surpass him. Stats in this sport aren't sacred like baseball and inflation has skewed it way too much. 

Archived