Checking in with Trubisky

WindyCity

I know I'm reaching for the stars here, but I really want the kid to change his throwing motion. Rodgers overhauled his mechanics and now has one of the quickest/deadliest releases in the history of this game. I think Mitch has a similar skill set, physically, to Rodgers (Rodgers has the stronger arm) so in my perfect world I want him to be modeled after the GOAT.

The ability Rodgers has to be accurate WITHOUT needing to have perfect footwork is staggering, that's the Gold Standard.

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

I know I'm reaching for the stars here, but I really want the kid to change his throwing motion. Rodgers overhauled his mechanics and now has one of the quickest/deadliest releases in the history of this game. I think Mitch has a similar skill set, physically, to Rodgers (Rodgers has the stronger arm) so in my perfect world I want him to be modeled after the GOAT.

The ability Rodgers has to be accurate WITHOUT needing to have perfect footwork is staggering, that's the Gold Standard.

I agree with everything except Rodgers being the GOAT.  Although a very very good QB he's not even in that conversation until he wins at least one more SB.

To each his own of course, but for my money's worth he's the best QB I've ever seen. Brady said it himself: you put Aaron Rodgers on Bill Belichik's team and he's throwing for 7,000 yards every year.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

To each his own of course, but for my money's worth he's the best QB I've ever seen. Brady said it himself: you put Aaron Rodgers on Bill Belichik's team and he's throwing for 7,000 yards every year.

That team (Pats and Brady) are always saying crap like that. He isn't throwing for 7,000 yards with Hogan as his number 1 WR. He's a HOF QB but he isn't the GOAT.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Stats aren’t everything, but they’re at least a relative apples to apples barometer of Mitch’s play versus his contemporaries and predecessors. Over 7 games Mitch is:

155-240 (64.6%), 1814 yards (7.6 ypa), 15 TD, 6 INT and QB Rating of 97.8. 

Over 16 games that extrapolates to:

354-549, 4146 yards, 34 TD and 14 INT. Oh, and he’s on pace for over 600 yards and 4 TD rushing too. 

Yardage and TDs would blow existing team records out of the water, and the QB Rating I believe would be behind only McCown’s 5-game season in 2013. All likely without a 1000 yard rusher or receiver. Team is averaging 27.7 ppg. 

At what point are people going to stop comparing him against everyone else and pointing flaws and just enjoy what they’re seeing here? Because we’ve never seen it in a Bears uniform. Has he not shown enough to earn at least a little bit of leeway? If someone would have told you Trubisky’s projected stat line was what he’d do this year in August people would have **** themselves all the way up their backs and thrown old ladies from trains if need be to get there for it. I mean, how high is his ceiling with even slight improvement on deep passes and nowhere else (which isn’t even unrealistic)? He’s producing like we haven’t ever seen a Bears QB do and still has obvious room for additional growth with stuff most QBs improve on over time like footwork and reading defenses. What’s it going to take for some people to just enjoy the ride here? I’m fully aware that Mahomes is having a once in a generation kind of season. That doesn’t change the fact that Mitch is doing a ton of great things about which we should be really excited. The grass on the other side of the fence may be green, but it’s pretty damn green here too. 

He's starting to play better, that's a great start. QB numbers around the league are absurd though. IIRC there are 20+ QBs with ratings above 90. If you go back 5 years there were about 10 QBs at any given time who could say the same. The prevalence of new offensive concepts and the rule changes are going to force us to adjust our definitions of "good" when it comes to evaluating raw stats. I don't think it's unfair to evaluate him against his peers. What's unfair is to compare him only with Mahomes or Watson. Relative to the league's starters, he's in the "average to good" category right now.

19 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Well getting your *** kicked by a platypus for 200+ episodes will do that to you

Well...you know...he is my nemesis and all. And while I may be a mad scientist, I'm not an evil scientist, or anything...

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Unfortunately never..especially with the way Mahomes is playing this year and the way Watson played last year.  Mitch will be forever compared to those two because of the fact that Bears had the choice to take any of them.

I agree with your assessment...of other people's assessments. O.o But those takes aren't even remotely fair. Jim Kelly was selected in '83--after Elway, before Marino (which I'm just pointing out for clarity's sake). If Trubisky works out, it doesn't matter if there was a small trade up to get him. There was a bigger trade up to get Ryan Leaf, and he was a bust for pete's sake. People need to keep things in perspective. 

20 hours ago, G08 said:

There is nothing wrong with is throwing motion, why on earth would you want to mess with it.  Rodgers had to get the Tedford out of him, that's they reworked his mechanics

39 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

There is nothing wrong with is throwing motion, why on earth would you want to mess with it.  Rodgers had to get the Tedford out of him, that's they reworked his mechanics

Elongated and it's been proven that an over-the-top delivery is more accurate when you don't have your feet set. Two reasons there.

16 minutes ago, G08 said:

Elongated and it's been proven that an over-the-top delivery is more accurate when you don't have your feet set. Two reasons there.

It's not a long delivery, its compact and is over the top.  Yeah he threw one side armed yesterday but that's not his typical motion.  You start messing with a guys motion, you are asking for trouble.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It's not a long delivery, its compact and is over the top.  Yeah he threw one side armed yesterday but that's not his typical motion.  You start messing with a guys motion, you are asking for trouble.

It's not compact in the sense of a Brady or Rodgers. He wastes time moving his arm and elbow back, bringing his wrist up and finally forward.

Rodgers, Brees, and even Brady have overhauled their upper body throwing mechanics. Mitch can do it too.

Brady perfected his mechanics, he didnt overhaul them, Brees delivery hasnt changed one bit since he was killing people at Purdue.  The only guy who has overhauled his mechanics is Rodgers, and Rodgers had to bc he was coached by Jeff Tedford, who screws with every QBs mechanics he comes across to make them deliver the football the way he wants them to.  There is a reason why Rodgers is the only Tedford qb...ever...to have success in the NFL.

Archived