Checking in with Trubisky

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It is just crazy that there is a 30 point disparity between him and Gabriel

Part of this may be due to Miller's lingering shoulder injury and part of it may be due to the types of routes each player is running.

I'm wondering what % of routes run result in targets for each of these players. It seems like Miller gets consistent separation when he's on the field.

58 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Part of this may be due to Miller's lingering shoulder injury and part of it may be due to the types of routes each player is running.

I'm wondering what % of routes run result in targets for each of these players. It seems like Miller gets consistent separation when he's on the field.

Next Gen Stats has Miller at 2.7 yards of separation, which is pretty average.

Gabriel and Burton are higher for the Bears.

@MikeTanier

Follow Follow @MikeTanier
More Mike Tanier Retweeted Danny C.
It's whataboutism applied to the fact that so much of Trubisky's success has come from short passes and YAC.

YAC Per Completion

Mahomes: 7
Trubsiky: 5.5
Watson: 5.3

@billbarnwell 15% of Trubisky’s passes this year are screens. That’s the highest rate in the league. He’s thrown 5 touchdown passes on screens. That’s the most in the NFL. 

He also has the highest deep pass rate (22.1%) in the NFL. His passer rating on those throws is 25th out of 27 QBs.

ESPN Stats had Patrick Mahomes throwing 53 times behind the line of scrimmage and on 285 attempts that is a rate of 18.5%. Also credited him with 4 TDs thrown on these passes, which makes 5 seem like a more reasonable number.

@billbarnwell
Follow Follow @billbarnwell
More Bill Barnwell Retweeted Addison Jacoby
It’s too premature to say anything. So far, though, Trubisky’s inconsistency, emphasis on running under even moderate pressure, and inflated TD total (from screens/touch passes) are very Bortles-esque.

Percentage of TD throws within 3 yards or behind the line of scrimmage

Mahomes: 8/26, 31%
Goff: 6/17 35%
Trubisky: 6/15 40%

Does not seem very inflated compared to other QBs.

@MikeTanier
Follow Follow @MikeTanier
More Mike Tanier Retweeted Danny C.
It's whataboutism applied to the fact that so much of Trubisky's success has come from short passes and YAC.

Percentage of Yards made up by YAC

Goff: 53%
Mahomes: 52%
Trubisky: 47%
Watson: 41%

I am not sure how we can say that Mitch lives on short passes and YAC.

It's obvious that the Bears run a lot of short passes and screens but that's part of the design of Nagy's offense. What's interesting to me is that while Mitch seems willing to take shots downfield, the Bears aren't completing those plays. I think part of that is on Mitch and part of it is due to the inexperience this group has playing together.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

It's obvious that the Bears run a lot of short passes and screens but that's part of the design of Nagy's offense. What's interesting to me is that while Mitch seems willing to take shots downfield, the Bears aren't completing those plays. I think part of that is on Mitch and part of it is due to the inexperience this group has playing together.

Agree.

Even with the short shots though he is 7th in attempted air yards and 15th in completed air yards.

The Miller 43% completion percentage is just really bad, like shockingly terrible. Hopefully, there is a natural correction through experience and reps.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

YAC Per Completion

Mahomes: 7
Trubsiky: 5.5
Watson: 5.3

Of those 6(he said 5, so I'm assuming that was before the jets) how many of those were from inside the 5 yard line? I dont recall any real big screen plays or big yac plays other than the one on Sunday.  I may be mistaken, admittedly, but it sure seems like Nagy likes to push the ball down the field.  And I remember a stat from a couple weeks ago that showed 10 was right behind Mahommes in deep comp %

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Of those 6(he said 5, so I'm assuming that was before the jets) how many of those were from inside the 5 yard line? I dont recall any real big screen plays or big yac plays other than the one on Sunday.  I may be mistaken, admittedly, but it sure seems like Nagy likes to push the ball down the field.  And I remember a stat from a couple weeks ago that showed 10 was right behind Mahommes in deep comp %

TD passes within 3 yards of the line or less

Mahomes: 8

Trubisky: 6

Watson: 5

On 11/1/2018 at 2:21 PM, WindyCity said:

Next Gen Stats has Miller at 2.7 yards of separation, which is pretty average.

Gabriel and Burton are higher for the Bears.

I wouldn't call 2.7 pretty average for a first year WR who is lining up all over the field. Granted 2.7 is the exact average among WR's, but look at last years averages for some of the best wide-outs in the game.

DeAndre Hopkins 2.1
Antonio Brown 2.6
Julio Jones 2.4
A.J. Green 2.4
Adam Thielen 2.7
Demaryius Thomas 2.3
Mike Evans 2.1
Alshon Jeffery 1.8

Edit: Keep in mind, most WR's don't start to peak until year 2. Miller is going to be a beast--especially if he is given a full-time X or Z position. Which I expect to be next year.....maybe even late in the season this year. 

8 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Windy I'm not talking about the LOS, I'm talking of those 6, how many were from inside the 5 yard line, iow goal line type plays.

% of TDs inside the 5

Mahomes = 32% of 28 total -- 7 Pass \ 2 Rush
Trubisky = 29% of 17 total -- 4 Pass \ 1 Rush
Watson = 50% of 16 total -- 7 Pass \ 1 Rush

Trubisky in 2017
44% of 9 total -- 2 Pass / 2 Rush

8 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Windy I'm not talking about the LOS, I'm talking of those 6, how many were from inside the 5 yard line, iow goal line type plays.

1 shovel pass [Burton] and 1 screen [Cohen] were from the 5 or in and the Miller TD from last game and Gabriel.

2 shovel passes were from the 10

Archived