Checking in with Trubisky

WindyCity

43 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So I just dug this up in a debate on comparisons, its food for thought.  Since week 4, Mahomes has 16 TDs and 7 Ints in 6 games.  Trubisky has 15 TDs and 4 Ints in 5 games. The only common opponent is NE Mahomes went 23-36 352 4 total TDs 2 Ints.  Trubisky went 26-50 333 with 3 Total TDs, 2 Ints.  You could also tack on 81 yards rushing for 10 vs Mahomes 9. The narrative doesnt fit the #s

Week 4 was the Bucs game, so you're taking out Mahomes 6-TD game and putting in Tru's 6-TD game

18 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Week 4 was the Bucs game, so you're taking out Mahomes 6-TD game and putting in Tru's 6-TD game

I'm just looking at comfort level with the offense, I think we all can agree that was when Tru started to get comfortable.  Going since week 5 would be 16 total TDs  and 7 Ints vs 9 Total and 4, in 1 less game.  

I'm done posting in here. There are 2 crowds:

1) Trubisky will never be good. Pace traded too much for him. That's what I thought at the beginning and so in order to justify my beliefs, I will stand by him not being good enough for the rest of his career. His accuracy 20 games in isn't pristine. Tebow also ran a lot. Bortles never panned out. Have you seen Mahomes play?

2) He's young, growing, and his teammates & coaches love him. 20 games into his career, he's been better than Brees, Cousins and both Manning's. This year, he's on pace for 36 total touchdowns, 14 INT's and 3,900 yards. He misses receivers but he never makes the same mistakes twice.

I'm crowd #2 (so is Dan Orlovsky) and there are a few in crowd #1 (Michael Lombardi, Jason LaCanfora). Nothing is going to convince either party to convert to the other side so let's all just shut the **** up and cheer on a first place team.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

1) Trubisky will never be good. Pace traded too much for him. That's what I thought at the beginning and so in order to justify my beliefs, I will stand by him not being good enough for the rest of his career. His accuracy 20 games in isn't pristine. Tebow also ran a lot. Bortles never panned out. Have you seen Mahomes play?

2) He's young, growing, and his teammates & coaches love him. 20 games into his career, he's been better than Brees, Cousins and both Manning's. This year, he's on pace for 36 total touchdowns, 14 INT's and 3,900 yards. He misses receivers but he never makes the same mistakes twice.

I'm crowd #2 (so is Dan Orlovsky) and there are a few in crowd #1 (Michael Lombardi, Jason LaCanfora). Nothing is going to convince either party to convert to the other side so let's all just shut the **** up and cheer on a first place team.

You just converted me to #2 camp.  :)

16 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You don't get a large following by taking reasoned nuanced opinions based on evidence and history and have a willingness to change your mind based on evolving data.  Its age of twitter. 

Lombardi knows some things, but his cockiness and attitude I think may be schtick. He is trying to be famous and sell books.

I'm not in any camp...

Before the season I had serious concerns about Trubisky, as the best he had ever looked was in a preseason game.  I was worried about his ability to handle a complex offense, and put the team on his back.

As the season started, it seemed like he had some serious issues and was lost once the scripted plays ran out. The big issues I saw were pre snap reads, handling pressure, seeing receivers and accuracy.

He's gotten a lot better at reading defenses, I think he is doing a much better job keeping his eyes downfield, and he really seems to take in where his guys are once they get running 

The big remaining concern is when he keeps throwing it to the d line coach. It's an odd issue since he didn't do it last year,  or presumably in college. Watching his throws, it always seems like the air mail arrives when his feet are off. Should be correctable, and I really trust his work ethic, but it does beg the question; if we have this hard working QB, with a QB centric offensive coach,  why are his mechanics still breaking down every time he had to move around inside the pocket?

I think if he can fix the feet he'll be better. I would love to see him have a game or two this year where he definitively wins a game for us I think that would be great for him, the team, and would shut up some of the interloping click baiters. I think at the least we have an average QB, and good teams can win everything with that.  Let's hope he grows and we can have a great defense, an innovative offense and a great QB, that would be a ton of fun

18 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

So many things wrong with this post-- from top to bottom.

My greatest joy in watching Bears games the past 25+ years always centers around the QB position. When I'm in love with the QB or believe in the QB, the game is that much more fun (explains why I hated the Kyle Orton era). Mitch right now, for me, is still in a prove-it situation. I watched all his college his games and liked the kid well before I knew the Bears were going to draft him, but in certain areas it seems as if he has regressed a bit (mainly with his throwing accuracy).

I'm of the opinion his head is swimming with the complexities of this offense and his mechanics are taking a hit because of it. That's okay with me if it's the truth, my question is what is he going to do about it? Derek Carr quickened his release from his rookie to second season, will Mitch do the same? Who is going to coach him to properly do that... Nagy? Helfrich? Ragone? Maybe a visit with Tom House in the off-season is in order? But I digress...

He's gotten better pre-snap and post-snap since his first few games in this system, which means progress. I sincerely hope for the kid that he sets defenses on fire the next three games -- if not the rest of this season/his career.

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

The big remaining concern is when he keeps throwing it to the d line coach. It's an odd issue since he didn't do it last year,  or presumably in college. Watching his throws, it always seems like the air mail arrives when his feet are off. Should be correctable, and I really trust his work ethic, but it does beg the question; if we have this hard working QB, with a QB centric offensive coach,  why are his mechanics still breaking down every time he had to move around inside the pocket?

I believe the answer to this questions is below.  I agree with G08.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm of the opinion his head is swimming with the complexities of this offense and his mechanics are taking a hit because of it.

After all, Mitch is still pretty green and learning a brand new offense that isn't exactly the easiest system to learn.  Although at this moment in time he hasn't shown he was the best QB drafted from his draft class and worthy of #2 overall and the trade up, etc, I'm pretty content with where he's at considering his circumstances and expect to see a big jump in year 3 (2019). 

As far as I'm concerned this season was to be  a developmental year for the whole offense. The fact that Bears are in 1st place in the North and pushing for a playoff spot is better than anyone could have hoped for at this point. 

I confident that we are in good hands.  Don't listen to all the naysayers like the Lombardi's and LaCanfora's.  Those guys don't exactly have great track records when it comes to player evaluation. 

2 hours ago, G08 said:

My greatest joy in watching Bears games the past 25+ years always centers around the QB position. When I'm in love with the QB or believe in the QB, the game is that much more fun (explains why I hated the Kyle Orton era). Mitch right now, for me, is still in a prove-it situation. I watched all his college his games and liked the kid well before I knew the Bears were going to draft him, but in certain areas it seems as if he has regressed a bit (mainly with his throwing accuracy).

I'm of the opinion his head is swimming with the complexities of this offense and his mechanics are taking a hit because of it. That's okay with me if it's the truth, my question is what is he going to do about it? Derek Carr quickened his release from his rookie to second season, will Mitch do the same? Who is going to coach him to properly do that... Nagy? Helfrich? Ragone? Maybe a visit with Tom House in the off-season is in order? But I digress...

He's gotten better pre-snap and post-snap since his first few games in this system, which means progress. I sincerely hope for the kid that he sets defenses on fire the next three games -- if not the rest of this season/his career.

Um.  What? I’m surprised you haven’t killed yourself or found another team to be less extreme. Bears have had one top QB to date and that was before any of us were born. 

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Um.  What? I’m surprised you haven’t killed yourself or found another team to be less extreme. Bears have had one top QB to date and that was before any of us were born. 

Yeah I mean...  I thought people said I was crazy when I said my greatest joy has been enjoying the sane and cordial nature of US politics, but frankly yours is crazier. 

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

In my younger days I found ways to cheer for QBs where I thought there was upside. It was the Ortons, Quinns and Krenzels of the world that made me want to jump off the Sears Tower.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I believe the answer to this questions is below.  I agree with G08.

After all, Mitch is still pretty green and learning a brand new offense that isn't exactly the easiest system to learn.  Although at this moment in time he hasn't shown he was the best QB drafted from his draft class and worthy of #2 overall and the trade up, etc, I'm pretty content with where he's at considering his circumstances and expect to see a big jump in year 3 (2019). 

As far as I'm concerned this season was to be  a developmental year for the whole offense. The fact that Bears are in 1st place in the North and pushing for a playoff spot is better than anyone could have hoped for at this point. 

I confident that we are in good hands.  Don't listen to all the naysayers like the Lombardi's and LaCanfora's.  Those guys don't exactly have great track records when it comes to player evaluation. 

I really feel like the magnifying glass (and commensurate hot takes) would be off Trubisky if it wasn't for two facts: Mahomes and Watson who the Bears passed on have both shown incredible play at times, and 2, the Bears are actually looking good this season.  

The next couple games are going to be pressure-on.  Lets see how he does.  The thing that gives me the most optimism is his makeup; he seems like he can take the heat, he seems like wants to be great and will work for it.  Lets see!

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Yeah I mean...  I thought people said I was crazy when I said my greatest joy has been enjoying the sane and cordial nature of US politics, but frankly yours is crazier. 

You sir are on fire today xD

1 minute ago, G08 said:

In my younger days I found ways to cheer for QBs where I thought there was upside. It was the Ortons, Quinns and Krenzels of the world that made me want to jump off the Sears Tower.

Krenzel. LOL. Forgot about him. The genius Doctor right? What is Sears Tower called now anyway?  Willis or something last I knew.  

Archived