Checking in with Trubisky

WindyCity

47 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

None of that is going to happen unless the OL play improves.  How many times did we see Howard run straight into some linebacker that blew past one of our tackles?

Realistically I'm expecting the defense to slide next year, but it's fine by so long as the offense continues to gel and improve. In order for that to happen the OL needs to play better, and Nagy needs to either adapt to Howards style of running or get a new RB. 

At the same time, how many times have the OL create a lane and watch Howard take the wrong hole or not choose the right cut back lane. So it can go both ways.

See the PHI game as a example. He had a 6 yard run up the middle, which is still good, but it should have went for much more had he cut off and taken the hole that was wide open for him.

38 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

None of that is going to happen unless the OL play improves.  How many times did we see Howard run straight into some linebacker that blew past one of our tackles?

Realistically I'm expecting the defense to slide next year, but it's fine by so long as the offense continues to gel and improve. In order for that to happen the OL needs to play better, and Nagy needs to either adapt to Howards style of running or get a new RB. 

Agreed.  But while I expect defense to be statistically worse, I think that will primarily be due to better competition, less turn overs (also due to competition) and perhaps more injuries. I think they can be as good or better in terms of winning games in actuality due to improvement in aggression and Smith, Nichols, healthy Floyd and perhaps Tolliver and a better offense to compliment them. 

As for offense nobody on OL had a terrible year, but a lot of people had sub par games at different times. 

Unfortunately, it only takes one or two guys doing that to wreck a game plan. 

A lot of it was laziness and/or bad fundamentals.  That really, really bothers me.   A little bit of it was missed assignments.  Some of it was just opponent was better like Cox. 

Sad when your just turned 21 year old rookie was your most fundamentally sound player - And inexcusable.  Daniels did miss a number of assignments though, but not that many from what I could tell.  Not like I have broken down the games. Just a casual first viewing.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

As for offense nobody on OL had a terrible year, but a lot of people had sub par games at different times. 

That's the puzzling thing about it all;  Massie would have a great game and then 2 games where he'd look overmatched. Leno would be very good for long stretches and then look really lazy for a game.  One note on Leno is that he puts way more effort into pass protection than run game.  I feel like sometimes he played like he was expecting the ball to be out only to have the back get crushed by the guy Leno was supposed to block. 

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Agreed.  But while I expect defense to be statistically worse, I think that will primarily be due to better competition, less turn overs (also due to competition) and perhaps more injuries. I think they can be as good or better in terms of winning games in actuality due to improvement in aggression and Smith, Nichols, healthy Floyd and perhaps Tolliver and a better offense to compliment them. 

Unfortunately, it only takes one or two guys doing that to wreck a game plan. 

A lot of it was laziness and/or bad fundamentals.  That really, really bothers me.   A little bit of it was missed assignments.  Some of it was just opponent was better like Cox. 

Sad when your just turned 21 year old rookie was your most fundamentally sound player - And inexcusable.  Daniels did miss a number of assignments though, but not that many from what I could tell.  Not like I have broken down the games. Just a casual first viewing.  

Does this go toward the hiring of Harry H? I was watching the KC/Rams game and their linemen can really block screens well and do zone and power scheme blocking.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Does this go toward the hiring of Harry H? I was watching the KC/Rams game and their linemen can really block screens well and do zone and power scheme blocking.

They are multi year pros, they know fundamentals.  They could coach it themselves.  They could do clinics.   It's just not being held accountable by coach in meetings watching film and/or just being lazy or not in good enough shape.  So maybe coach is responsible in that sense.  

It is hard and unnatural for big men to make their bodies into what they call a duck pose for much of a 3 hour game.   Like holding a squat.  Or doing yoga.

When you get tired or lazy you waist bend or get too high and reach or get your arms outside your frame.  Then you get beat.  It's what you see a lot or too much watching 2019 Bears specifically, Massie, Leno and revolving right guards.   You see it in basketball too on defense.  Basketball defense takes works and effort and knee bending, and big/tall men can struggle with it.  Being an o linemen is a lot like being a defender in basketball.  

Fatigue makes cowards and fools of us all or however the saying goes.  They are either not in good enough shape, being lazy or are hurt.  Sometimes if you are confused on an assignment or defense tricks you it can happen too.  Or if guy next to you gets tricked and you get stuck in no man's land of trying to block two people.  In that situation you inevitiably block none. 

If I can figure out video editing I will do a youtube on it one of these days.

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

That's the puzzling thing about it all;  Massie would have a great game and then 2 games where he'd look overmatched. Leno would be very good for long stretches and then look really lazy for a game.  One note on Leno is that he puts way more effort into pass protection than run game.  I feel like sometimes he played like he was expecting the ball to be out only to have the back get crushed by the guy Leno was supposed to block. 

Thats how Massie has been his entire career, even before the Bears.  Cards fans told us before us signing him that he was either crap or fantastic depending on the game, with little consistency and no middle ground.  Leno is a good player, but I feel like he's physically overmatched at some points, especially getting push in the run game, but he's certainly a solid player.

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Thats how Massie has been his entire career, even before the Bears.  Cards fans told us before us signing him that he was either crap or fantastic depending on the game, with little consistency and no middle ground.  Leno is a good player, but I feel like he's physically overmatched at some points, especially getting push in the run game, but he's certainly a solid player.

TBH you’ve just described almost every average starting caliber professional athlete. Pretty good some days. Less good others. Sprinkles of greatness. Flashes of disaster. Every team needs a bunch of those guys. If the 2018 version of Bobbie Massie is your worst starter then you have a pretty damn good roster IMO. 

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Leno is a slightly above average starting LTs. There are going to be games where he struggles with someone across from him.

I am glad he seems to have gotten over his Everson Griffen issues. It seemed like his worst games came against Griffen every year.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Leno is a slightly above average starting LTs. There are going to be games where he struggles with someone across from him.

I am glad he seems to have gotten over his Everson Griffen issues. It seemed like his worst games came against Griffen every year.

I wouldn't consider that case closed just yet. Griffen was not the same player this year due to his personal issues he was dealing with.

That said, I'm confident in him and would be perfectly going into next with him as a starter.

On another note......we all have some serious OCD issues going on here lol.

Not to be the forum police here but how is it that every one of the threads end up becoming an all-in-one discussion about everything lmao.

In a thread titled Trubisky, we are now discussing OL, Howard, draft picks, you name it.

At least we're consistent though.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

On another note......we all have some serious OCD issues going on here lol.

Not to be the forum police here but how is it that every one of the threads end up becoming an all-in-one discussion about everything lmao.

In a thread titled Trubisky, we are now discussing OL, Howard, draft picks, you name it.

At least we're consistent though.

I'm glad you brought up John Fox, I really think he's too conservative! And now I begin my 600 point annotated list:

Archived