Checking in with Trubisky

WindyCity

Just now, topwop1 said:

Honestly he didn't have a great game passing the football today but I feel like if it wasn't for him this game would have been way out of reach a lot earlier.  It's crazy to think that we still had a chance to win this game despite him completing just slightly over 50% of his passes with two INTs and with the defense and special teams playing as bad as they did.

There were like four different drops of catchable balls, too...

Just now, Heinz D. said:

There were like four different drops of catchable balls, too...

This is true. Also a missed opportunity to score when Bellamy had his guy beat for the long catch but failed to haul it in because he couldn't see the ball.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This is true. Also a missed opportunity to score when Bellamy had his guy beat for the long catch but failed to haul it in because he couldn't see the ball.

I don't remember that (imagine that right lol)  but remember Cohen having one go between his hands. Might have been too far outside for him to get two feet down though. Will have to re-watch.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I don't remember that (imagine that right lol)  but remember Cohen having one go between his hands. Might have been too far outside for him to get two feet down though. Will have to re-watch.

The Bellamy one was an under throw that he had to come back for, he lost it in the sun. That said I don't think it would have gone for a score.

Recent Young QBs making their 1st start against Belichek

Jared Goff

14-of-32
161 yards
1 TD
2 INTs
4 sacks

Marcus Mariota

3-for-6
32 yards
0 TDs
0 INTs
2 sacks
1 fumble lost

David Carr

21-for-34
174 yards
0 TDs
1 INT

Ryan Tannehill

13-for-29
186 yards
0 TDs
0 INTs
4 sacks
5 rushes
19 yards
1 TD

Andrew Luck

27-for-50
334 yards
2 TDs
3 INTs

Russell Wilson

16-for-27
293 yards
3 TDs
0 INTs
2 sacks

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

...AND RAN FOR 80 v Belicek? 

I think everyone here would have been thrilled with these #s back in pre-season: 

We would be. It's a long season but I think Mitch looks to be at worst Marcus Mariota. 

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

...AND RAN FOR 80 v Belicek? 

I think everyone here would have been thrilled with these #s back in pre-season: 

With 2 rushing TDs as well.

Over 16 this is his projected statline

370/562 for 4250 yards (65.9% completion).....34 passing TDs....16 INTs.....97.1 QBR.....37 sacks.....82 rushes.....647 yards rushing.....5 rushing TDs

So he totals 4,697 yards accounted for and 39 TDs. I'd be damn happy with that.

Of course the huge run skewed that, the 6 TD game did some as well, but he has 3 INTs that were tipped (2 in the first game) and then Bellamy gutted one up to his defender too. Freak plays have gone both ways for us.

But as inconsistent as Mitch is he is still producing. He is still making big plays, whether throwing the ball [mostly Miami], or running the ball [Miami and NE].

That tells me that he is better than an average QB. Average QBs have similar lows, but never the highs and the big plays that we are seeing. We have seen any number of average NFL QBs roll through here and we get the same lows, multi picks, missed passes, but rarely the 300+ yards and 3 TD performances, or the ad lib scramble TD or the 50 yard run down to the 2.

So for me this is a consistency issue and not an ability issue. Everything is there we just need it to come out more than 1 game on and 1 game off, or only in the 2nd half or 1st half.

Consistency is easier to develop than ability.

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

With Trubisky the lows aren't Cutler meltdown bad and the highs are really high.

Starting from that, I think we are going to be okay.

I was thinking the same thing. He played poorly and we had a chance to win the game.

14 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I was thinking the same thing. He played poorly and we had a chance to win the game.

I no longer wonder if he has the ability to be a big time NFL QB. He clearly can make the throws and he can clearly run at an elite level.

I now wonder if he can do it consistently and efficiently.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I no longer wonder if he has the ability to be a big time NFL QB. He clearly can make the throws and he can clearly run at an elite level.

I now wonder if he can do it consistently and efficiently.

Ugh. Oh boy.

I'm risking the wrath of the rabid naysayers now, I know--folks outside this sub-forum, to be sure--when I say...that I really have never seen a QB who has shown what he's shown, and worried (afterword) about consistency and efficiency. Other members will now tear me apart, but I don't give a ****. I'm officially taking myself off the Trubisky fence. In all of my decades of watching NFL football, I've never seen such real promise fizzle out. Ever. He's kept it up for long enough, I'm a believer. Does that mean Boomer Esiason, or Tom Brady? Only time will tell. 

16 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Ugh. Oh boy.

I'm risking the wrath of the rabid naysayers now, I know--folks outside this sub-forum, to be sure--when I say...that I really have never seen a QB who has shown what he's shown, and worried (afterword) about consistency and efficiency. Other members will now tear me apart, but I don't give a ****. I'm officially taking myself off the Trubisky fence. In all of my decades of watching NFL football, I've never seen such real promise fizzle out. Ever. He's kept it up for long enough, I'm a believer. Does that mean Boomer Esiason, or Tom Brady? Only time will tell. 

I think we still need another year to really say he’s here to stay. Here are the QBs who were a flash in the pan I can think of:

-Marcus Mariota 

-RG3

-Josh Freeman 

-Dak Prescott 

-mark Sanchez 

-Nick Foles 

Archived