Checking in with Trubisky

WindyCity

Watson makes some great throws but he turns the ball over constantly. Which is really exactly his college style.

i read somewhere that QBs who don’t throw picks in college rarely do in the NFL and I’m hoping that’s true for Mitch.

Mahomes is going to throw more picks I just don’t trust him to play this mistake free.

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

What did PFF say about him.  I haven't seen it yet.  The thing with PFF is they are VERY guilty of confirmation bias.  When they get locked in on something its damn near impossible to get them to change their stance.  Hence Evan Mathis being the GOAT OL

They don't assign the same person every week(they have an extremely high turnover rate) and an algorithm can't be biased when the data input is coming from different individuals each week either.

I cannot believe I just defended that garbage site.......I need to take a shower now.

8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

According to PFF Trubisky also came up short this past Sunday and basically let his team down.  

While Bears o-line has been pretty good, I don't agree with everything PFF spits out.

As I've said a million times, PFF is trash and should never be taken serious. They put out grades for 1000+ players on Monday and the all-22 film isn't even available until mid-late Tuesday's (i.e the Bears game was literally just released about 2 hours ago) and without it you can't even tell what most of the defensive assignments are most of the time using only the televised version. Furthermore, to make things worse, they actually try and do this during the live game (aka fill in numbers on a data sheet) lol. It's an absolute joke.   

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

They don't assign the same person every week(they have an extremely high turnover rate) and an algorithm can't be biased when the data input is coming from different individuals each week either.

I cannot believe I just defended that garbage site.......I need to take a shower now.

As I've said a million times, PFF is trash and should never be taken serious. They put out grades for 1000+ players on Monday and the all-22 film isn't even available until mid-late Tuesday's (i.e the Bears game was literally just released about 2 hours ago) and without it you can't even tell what most of the defensive assignments are most of the time using only the televised version. Furthermore, to make things worse, they actually try and do this during the live game (aka fill in numbers on a data sheet) lol. It's an absolute joke.   

How does PFF rate it's players? They rated Amos as the best safety in football last year and didn't see that at all.

15 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Watson makes some great throws but he turns the ball over constantly. Which is really exactly his college style.

i read somewhere that QBs who don’t throw picks in college rarely do in the NFL and I’m hoping that’s true for Mitch.

Mahomes is going to throw more picks I just don’t trust him to play this mistake free.

Lets let all those QB's play for 3 or 4 years and then we can judge who the best one is.

I don't judge players on 1 or 2 games.

Mahomes finally did throw 2 INT's Sunday but has the advantage of playing with more talent.

27 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

Lets let all those QB's play for 3 or 4 years and then we can judge who the best one is.

I don't judge players on 1 or 2 games.

Mahomes finally did throw 2 INT's Sunday but has the advantage of playing with more talent.

He threw 2 INT’s the previous Sunday, too.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

He threw 2 INT’s the previous Sunday, too.

I expect him to throw more as the season goes on. He was a pick machine in college and once defenses figure him out he will come down to earth. I still think he'll be a really good QB in this league.

It is interesting to see people point to the Texans OL in defense of Watson, but did not want to defend Mitch last season with a worse group of WRs.

On a side note, Watson is holding the ball an insane 3.1 seconds/pass play, which is only behind Josh Allen's 3.1 second average.

41 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I expect him to throw more as the season goes on. He was a pick machine in college and once defenses figure him out he will come down to earth. I still think he'll be a really good QB in this league.

I hate that farce, it needs to die. He wasn't a pick machine at all, he threw INTs on 2.1% of his throws. For comparison, Brady has a 1.8% interception percentage on his throw. Unless Brady is bordering on a "reckless gunslinger" then it is a false narrative. 

Not bashing you of course, just the false notion. I was on the Mahomes train the year before he declared and this was constantly being parroted then, then through predraft, now, etc. Lol

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I hate that farce, it needs to die. He wasn't a pick machine at all, he threw INTs on 2.1% of his throws. For comparison, Brady has a 1.8% interception percentage on his throw. Unless Brady is bordering on a "reckless gunslinger" then it is a false narrative. 

Not bashing you of course, just the false notion. I was on the Mahomes train the year before he declared and this was constantly being parroted then, then through predraft, now, etc. Lol

His senior year I believe his total turnover rate was over 3% which is really bad, I will get the actual number.

Through 12 games as a pro, including his crazy run last season,

31 TDs and 25 INTs/fumbles, not all fumbles lost.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

His senior year I believe his total turnover rate was over 3% which is really bad, I will get the actual number.

Not sure the total fumbles Mahomes had, but the offense averaged 1.5 TOs per game so I don't think it would be that bad.

Also remember Mahomes HAD to put up a ton of points to stay in games. His senior season he had to put up an average of 43 points per game to still have his team go 3-7 as they gave up 43 per game too. No NFL team will likely have to be so aggressive to compete for a game like Texas Tech did.

That aggressiveness necessitates holding the ball longer and throwing more dangerous balls. Add in the fact they barely rushed for 1000 yards in the season and he had the entire defense gunning for him and knowing he was their only real threat. Even with all that he was still significantly better with ball safety than Watson. 

Mahomes is going to turn the ball over due to his aggressive nature, but Watson will end up losing the ball much more frequently IMO when they both hang their cleats up for the last time. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Who has played in 12 pro games? I thought we were talking about Mahomes but you seem to be talking about Watson.

Dan Orlovsky was on ESPN 1000 and he was saying that the deep shots to Gabriel were awesome, but the best throws Mitch made were his throws to Allen Robinson.

-On the TD throw, he has a zone defense with a box setting up around Robinson on the goal line, which you can do in the redzone because the safeties do not have to get deep. That throw needs to be out before Robinson settles down and with 0 hesitation as the box collapses in around Robinson. Trubisky knows he is throwing it pre snap as he recognizes zone and he sticks it in with 0 hesitation.

-On the 22 yard back shoulder on the sideline the CB drops and a flat defender comes underneath the route and Orlovsky said most NFL QBs won't even throw the route because technically it is covered with Robinson running a fly route into the CB at the goal line. He said what made it so impressive was that Mitch reads the coverage and goes back shoulder leading Robinson away from the over top defender, but what he said was the most encouraging thing was that Robinson saw the same thing and immediately adjusted in the exact same way.

It really appears that Robinson and Mitch are getting into a groove as the TB TD, Mia TD, and Mia backshoulder were all really nice reads, throws, routes and adjustments by both of them.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Who has played in 12 pro games? I thought we were talking about Mahomes but you seem to be talking about Watson.

I am talking about Watson.

Mahomes is a video game right now and that comparison is not fair for 10.

I think many people turned on Mitch early because they just could not bare the thought of investing in another QB and getting burnt, I myself had many moments of doubt. I still have doubts. If you are a Bears fan over 30 years old you have been so badly beaten around by the QB position that you do not want to believe that you have been left almost entirely devoid of hope. I know having had my formative football years be the transition from Burris, to Hutchinson, to Kordell, to Grossman, to Orton, back to Grossman, to Cutler, to McCown, to Cutler again, to Glennon, would leave any fan jaded. 

I do not begrudge anyone for being slow to accept Mitch or for having serious doubts and a "show me attitude". I do no begrudge any fan who over reacts to the poor play of Mitch, because in my entire lifetime poor play and obvious issues has been followed by poor play and the same obvious issues. I came back every Sunday to watch the same position tank the team and the season. There is so much scar tissue built up that I think as Bears fans we have a defensive reaction to the QB spot. We do not want to believe that it can get better, because that belief has been so painful in the past.

I myself was guilty of Watson envy last season and it took everything in my power to continue to drag myself back to the fact that this takes time and it a process and that a small sample size can be deceiving. It was incredibly difficult all offseason to sit around with a huge ? mark at QB, to have to talk myself into Trubisky despite seeing so little as a rookie. But if the Watson situation has taught me anything it is that the narrative is often not based on fact or enough data to matter and that patience is required. What Carr, Mariota, and Winston have taught me is that you are not safe even 3 or 4 years down the line.

I have faith because this is different than before. Never have we seen a QB drafted by the Bears with Mitch's physical tools. Never have we had a QB with his make up, work ethic. and leadership qualities [Cutler truthers please feel free not to respond]. Never have we had a competent offensive coach who has worked with young QBs and comes from one of the most successful offensive systems in the NFL. We have never had this collection of offensive skill positions players since I have been watching the team. This is different. It does not mean it is going to be all positive, but it is different. I cannot allow my experiences and prejudices of the past to cloud what is happening right now. For so long we have watched horrendous meaningless football without a bright future to ***** while the team platys. That is not the truth we are living now. The truth is that this team is relevant, they are talented, and every game the young QB and young HC are growing, developing, improving. It has been forever since those 3 words have been used to describe this team and my experience as a fan.

Archived