Bucs fire DC Mike Smith

RaidersAreOne

Mike Smith had to go.

But the root of the problem is still the defensive personnel and overall philosophy. Imagine taking a DT in today's league, when guys like Derwin James and Jaire Alexander were still on the board? 

The Bucs built their defense as if the game is being played the way it was in the earlier 2000s. 

Just now, game3525 said:

The Bucs built their defense as if the game being played the way it was in the earlier 2000s. 

Eh, it's not such a bad idea depending on how the Buccaneers view their future.  If they see their situation as a three to five year build, it's not a bad idea to build up the lines before adding secondary/skill players.  I don't even think they're sold on their franchise QB at this moment, so it's never a bad idea to get linemen if you have them rated as high as other positions. 

6 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Mike Smith had to go.

But the root of the problem is still the defensive personnel and overall philosophy. Imagine taking a DT in today's league, when guys like Derwin James and Jaire Alexander were still on the board? 

The Bucs built their defense as if the game being played the way it was in the earlier 2000s. 

Not only a DT, but a run stuffing DT...Vita Vea isn't Aaron Donald or Gerald McCoy or Geno Atkins. He's basically Brandon Williams, but taken as a mid 1st-rounder. 

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not only a DT, but a run stuffing DT...Vita Vea isn't Aaron Donald or Gerald McCoy or Geno Atkins. He's basically Brandon Williams, but taken as a mid 1st-rounder. 

Yeah, I have no problem with taking Donald, Suh, McCoy, Atkins at 10. But if I'm taking a DL that high he better have the potential to be an elite pass rusher

Yeah, I should have been more specific by mention run-stuffing DT. If Vea was Gerald McCoy, Atkins etc. then this wouldn't be an issue. But taking a run-stuffing DT in a league where all the action is in the middle of the field is insane.

Eh, it's not such a bad idea depending on how the Buccaneers view their future.  If they see their situation as a three to five year build, it's not a bad idea to build up the lines before adding secondary/skill players.  I don't even think they're sold on their franchise QB at this moment, so it's never a bad idea to get linemen if you have them rated as high as other positions. 

It would be fine if they took a pass-rusher. However, Vea is not that guy. 

44 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Mike Smith had to go.

The Bucs built their defense as if the game is being played the way it was in the earlier 2000s. 

In fairness, we’ve used 4 premium picks on our secondary in the last 3 drafts. We’ve also taken 2 DBs in the fourth in the same span. It’s too early to tell on Davis, Stewart and Whitehead, but VH3 and Evans have flashed potential while also being terrible at times.

I don’t believe this defensive staff is capable of developing defensive backs, so I don’t believe we would be getting the same level of play out of James as he is currently showing.

I don’t mind the Vea pick. We need a player to solidify our run defence and occupy blockers to free up McCoy and the edge rushers. It hasn’t panned out that way yet for a number of reasons, but I’d always build the lines before throwing even more premium picks at a secondary which is hamstrung by a non existent pass rush.

Archived