How are those Rookies doing? Training Camp edition

Chiefer

Updating the 49ers

Witherspoon has looked much better for the 49ers as TC has gone on and through the preseason games. He's not ready to start - that figure has to be taken with a grain of salt,, but it's a step in the right direction for him as pre-season has gone on. 

Solomon Thomas still seems destined for a rotational role with Tank Carradine. Carradine, who's largely been a flop in his career after we mishandled his growth about as much as one team possibly could for a prospect, is finally in his natural role and has played very well through the preseason. Foster has been named the starter at WILL. 

CJ Beathard has put together a couple of strong preseason games and has had an overall better camp than Matt Barkley. He was the first quarterback up after Hoyer in the last game, and it looks like he has a real shot to unseat Barkley as the back up quarterback on the team. I still don't buy him as a good NFL quarterback, though I will admit he has performed better than I thought he would. 

Joe Williams (4th) and Matt Breida (UDFA) played almost none in the last preseason game. As fans, we think this is largely due to them being roster locks, and the staff wanting to focus on the final spot at running back. Hightower and Bibbs got almost all the reps after Hyde departed. The same thing happened for Trent Taylor (5th). So nothing new to report on them outside that they appear to be locked in for the roster

George Kittle finally got into the preseason in week 2, and made a really nice play for a touchdown against Denver. Took a short pass in the flat and steamrolled a guy on his way to a long touchdown. If he's healthy, he's going to be tight end 1a/1b with Vance McDonald. 

There was a lot of thought that DJ JOnes would make the roster from fans, but it may be that the staff hasn't been as impressive. We recently signed Senderrick Marks, and while it's late in the preseason and that may be nothing more than roster fodder, it's still an interesting signing. Given that we have guys like Jones and Dial fighting for a single roster spot, it's interesting to suddenly add another candidate into that mix. Jones seems likely to head to the PS unless he balls out at the end of camp. Pita and Colbert both appear slated to the PS at this point. 

Lorenzo Jerome I think is a lock to make the roster as an UDFA. He won't start - the team has finally gotten Ward back at safety, but I Think that he's easily supplanted the other safeties for the back up role. He's had an okay preseason with some ups and downs, but doesn't seem out of place. 

Cole Hikituni, who started camp / rookie TC pretty well and seemed to have a good bubble shot at the roster, has cooled down considerably. Has done absolutely nothing in the preseason - limited snaps, hasn't made plays. Longshot to make the roster. Likely a PS guy. 

Eric Magnuson. A new addition to this - he's an undrafted free agent on the line. He's played very well in the preseason games, and some beat writers have started to chatter about him making the roster over Barnes, who is just absolutely terrible and has played that way. Magnuson can play everywhere on the line, and that versatility will help  potentially make the roster. I'm not sure I'm ready to give him a legit shot at making it, but he may. 

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Can a Dolphins fan give me some insight into this situation?  Is Godchaux just playing that well, Harris playing that poorly, a mix of both?

Godchaux is playing well, stealing the 2nd spot from jordan phillips. Harris will be a situational DE, he needs to learn how to set the edge in the nfl, mainly getting stronger. the ravens attacked him when he was playing last week, where as Atlanta wanted to pass more. 

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Can a Dolphins fan give me some insight into this situation?  Is Godchaux just playing that well, Harris playing that poorly, a mix of both?

Godchaux has far and away been the 2nd best DT for Miami, easily surpassing 3rd year former-second-rounder Jordan Phillips on the depth chart. He has been very disruptive and powerful, he's a big boy.

Harris wasn't really slotted to be the starter, he was likely a pass-down only guy his first year. Too many good DEs ahead of him and he needs to add some strength.

For the Jets Jamal Adams has been a vocal leader for our defense, has been right there on a bunch of plays but needs to wrap up. He missed 3 tackles he should have had in game 2. Marcus Maye seems like the real deal, our secondary is light years ahead of where we were last year because of these 2 guys. The defense overall has top 10 potential but will see the field so much that they will be gassed too early in games.

Its hard to gauge any offensive weapons since our OL has been so putrid, it's going to be a long season. 

updated Steelers

TJ Watt - Has shown good motor off the edge and decent in coverage.  No change for Watt in game 2.  Has looked decent but not great.

JuJu Smith-Schuster - Did not play in game 2 due to injury.

Cameron Sutton - Played a tiny bit in game 2 but has shown nothing yet.  Still not on the field in practice.  Nagging injuries.

James Conner - Had some good runs against the Falcons 3rd stringers.  Looks to be a good backup.

Joshua Dobbs - Just as inaccurate in the 2nd game. The season is lost if Roethlisburger goes down.

Brian Allen - Looking better and better for a converted WR.  Still struggles with tackling but I think he makes the roster due to the total lack of depth in the secondary for the Steelers.  I think he will be in the rotation by mid season.

Colin Holba - He is a LS and has not messed up yet.

Keion Adams - Shown some promise.  I expect he will be on the practice squad

UDFA Terrell Watson - RB - has looked really good in short yardage situations.  i think he will make the practice squad because of the crowded RB situation in camp.

FA Trey William RB - has looked good on special teams.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

updated Steelers

TJ Watt - Has shown good motor off the edge and decent in coverage.  No change for Watt in game 2.  Has looked decent but not great.

JuJu Smith-Schuster - Did not play in game 2 due to injury.

Cameron Sutton - Played a tiny bit in game 2 but has shown nothing yet.  Still not on the field in practice.  Nagging injuries.

James Conner - Had some good runs against the Falcons 3rd stringers.  Looks to be a good backup.

Joshua Dobbs - Just as inaccurate in the 2nd game. The season is lost if Roethlisburger goes down.

Brian Allen - Looking better and better for a converted WR.  Still struggles with tackling but I think he makes the roster due to the total lack of depth in the secondary for the Steelers.  I think he will be in the rotation by mid season.

Keion Adams - Shown some promise.  I expect he will be on the practice squad

UDFA Terrell Watson - RB - has looked really good in short yardage situations.  i think he will make the practice squad because of the crowded RB situation in camp.

FA Trey William RB - has looked good on special teams.

Trey Williams isn't a rookie. this is his 3rd year in the league.

Evan Engram is finally playing fast. He has looked as smooth and fast and talented as advertised since the beginning, but the offense is complex and tough to learn. Engram is a smart guy so the question wasn't if he'd learn it, but when. He has finally gained some confidence in his role. Against the Jets he had a couple catches on some beautiful routes. He also delivered a vicious and critical block on the touchdown run. Super excited about him. 

Tomlinson is currently rotating in as a 2nd string DT with the emergence of former 3rd round pick Jay Bromley playing next to Snacks. But when Tomlinson has been on the field, he has made an impact. His hand use is impressive and he is a bull and getting into the backfield. Bromley has a minor injury and may miss week 1. If he does and Tomlinson starts in place of him, I'm not sure Bromley will ever get that spot back. 

Davis Webb is doing most of his learning in the classroom. His reps in practice and preseason games have been limited. By all accounts though, he is an extremely hard worker. He and Engram haven't left NJ since arriving and have been making time to practice together and learn the offense on their own. 

Wayne Gallman has been quiet in practices. In the games so far, he runs very hard and has the most missed tackles of any of our RBs so far this preseason. However, he has had some ball security issues like Perkins did early in his rookie season. He wont get any regular season snaps until at least halfway into the season, which is best for him and the team. The talent is there though for sure. 

Avery Moss is good. He is the perfect fit for Spags's defense as a DE. Has a similar skillset to Tuck coming out of the draft. Right now his value is on ST though. The DE position is stacked for us. 

Adam Bisnowaty has been really, really bad. We traded up in the 6th to get him so you expect hed make the roster but I'm not sure that is going to be the case. He was billed as a nasty, aggressive player but some plays looks disinterested in even touching a defender. I chalk that up to having trouble adjusting to the pro game. Doesn't make his performance any better or anything, just means there is a chance he could improve later on. 

Travis Rudolph has been a huge surprise to me as an undrafted free agent. I was aware of the feel good story involving him and really admired him for it, but didn't think he'd show anything in pros. I've been wrong so far. He looked super impressive against the Jets, running crisp routes and making spectacular big plays through a lot of sheer will like he did at FSU. Normally he wouldn't stand a chance to make the final 53, but with Tavarres King having injury issues, Rudolph actually has a shot. If not here, I'm almost positive he will catch on somewhere else, like with the Jets or Cleveland. He has put a lot of good stuff on tape this preseason. 

Chad Wheeler had a bunch of good practices in mini camp then played in his first preseason game and looked worse than Bisnowaty did. Since then he has gotten more reps with the 1s in practice and games and has improved. Mcadoo has been impressed with him. I think he will make the roster as the backup LT.

Shane Smith has been getting a lot of action as a true FB, which we missed a lot last year. He has been doing a good job and if we decide to keep a true FB on the final 53, he will be the guy. 

Last UDFA worth a mention is Calvin Munson. With Herzlich missing a lot of time with injuries, Munson has been handling all of his ST duties and he has been solid. Same kind of high effort player Herzlich is. If Herzlich's injuries continue to linger, Munson might take his spot on the 53. 

One last thing that is kind of interesting- the Giants have converted former Notre Dame DT Jarron Jones to offensive tackle. Obviously he has a long way to go in learning to play a whole new position, but the expectation is that the Giants will stash him on the PS and see if they have something in him for later down the line. He is a very talented guy. 

Mahomes has exceeded most expectations, many Chiefs fans thought he'd be 3rd string the whole year. Now slated to start the first half of the 4th preseason game. 

Tanoh is super raw, thrown a lot at his plate and he needs some seasoning.

Kareem Hunt is now the starter with Spencer Ware out the season. Looks solid, could breakout. He's a slippery tackle and always falls forward. 

Jehu Chesson should make the team

Ukeme Eligwe could very well be Derrick Johnsons heir apparent. A logjam here though so he could get sent to the PS

Leon McQuay has been solid but unspectacular. Cut or PS

UDFA Marcus Kemp WR may make the team, likely PS candidate though

TJ Watt - Has shown good motor off the edge and decent in coverage.  No change for Watt in game 3.  Has looked decent but not great.

JuJu Smith-Schuster - Made some very good contested catches.  Looked good

Cameron Sutton - Played about a 1/2 vs the Colts.  Looked pretty good with a PD and tight man coverage.

James Conner - Connor continues to look like a decent backup

Joshua Dobbs - Just as inaccurate in the 3rd game. The season is lost if Roethlisburger goes down.

Brian Allen - Looking better and better for a converted WR.  Still struggles with tackling but I think he makes the roster due to the total lack of depth in the secondary for the Steelers.  I think he will be in the rotation by mid season. With the Steelers getting Haden I expect Allen to be stashed on the PS.

Keion Adams - IR'ed

On 8/24/2017 at 11:21 AM, Forge said:

George Kittle finally got into the preseason in week 2, and made a really nice play for a touchdown against Denver. Took a short pass in the flat and steamrolled a guy on his way to a long touchdown. If he's healthy, he's going to be tight end 1a/1b with Vance McDonald. 

Absolutely loved Kittle coming out.  With hard work, good coaching, and a little luck I think he can be a Delanie Walker.  People don't realize how devastating losing Walker was to the 49ers offense especially, the run game.

Archived