How are those Rookies doing? Training Camp edition

Chiefer

7 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Marlon Mack is dope. 

It's fair to ask if the Colts are top-five-pick material without Luck on the field, but the team has unearthed an intriguing asset in the backfield in the form of fourth-round runner Marlon Mack.

Mack slashed Dallas with 45 yards off five carries including bursts of 10, 13 and 23 yards. A subject of praise all summer long, the former University of South Florida star gave Pagano something positive to focus on.

Pro Football Focus noted that the hard-running Mack generated five missed tackles on just seven touches for an outrageous elusive rating of 542.9.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000833225/article/colts-find-hope-in-outstanding-rookie-marlon-mack

Deshaun Watson had a rough game stat-wise (3-10, 102 yards) but fell victim to about three drops. He added another TD run on a nice bootleg; He shook a defender who had him dead to rights and hop-stepped into the end zone. The debate for week one still remains, but odds are that Tom Savage will get the nod.

Zach Cunningham was thoroughly abused by Rex Burkhead and DJ Foster in coverage. He's a rookie going against an offense that has perfected routes out of the backfield, but it's concerning. This was supposed to be his strength.

D'Onta Foreman is a revelation at RB. Runs with tremendous power, has breakaway speed and is a really nice asset in the passing game. He's got the tools to be a three down back in the NFL, and he's probably the best back on the roster to this point. I expect him to get starter consideration mid season.

Julie'n Davenport looked every part the rookie against New England. He's got work to do.

Carlos Watkins is still MIA. Didn't register anything. Not sure if he's hurt or not.

Treston Decoud got his first action and impressed. Had a pass breakup to go along with a forced fumble. He's in a fight with Denzel Rice for the #4 CB role, but both should make the team handily.

No real news on Kyle Fuller, but he's safe, given the precarious depth on the OL.

UDFA Dylan Cole is the star of the show so far. Led the team with 10 tackles (five solo) and had a pass defense to go along with it. He's incredibly athletic and just has a nose for the ball. He's going to get into ST play, and - if I'm being honest - he looks like the better rookie ILB vs the highly touted Cunningham.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Deshaun Watson had a rough game stat-wise (3-10, 102 yards) but fell victim to about three drops. He added another TD run on a nice bootleg; He shook a defender who had him dead to rights and hop-stepped into the end zone. The debate for week one still remains, but odds are that Tom Savage will get the nod.

Zach Cunningham was thoroughly abused by Rex Burkhead and DJ Foster in coverage. He's a rookie going against an offense that has perfected routes out of the backfield, but it's concerning. This was supposed to be his strength.

D'Onta Foreman is a revelation at RB. Runs with tremendous power, has breakaway speed and is a really nice asset in the passing game. He's got the tools to be a three down back in the NFL, and he's probably the best back on the roster to this point. I expect him to get starter consideration mid season.

Julie'n Davenport looked every part the rookie against New England. He's got work to do.

Carlos Watkins is still MIA. Didn't register anything. Not sure if he's hurt or not.

Treston Decoud got his first action and impressed. Had a pass breakup to go along with a forced fumble. He's in a fight with Denzel Rice for the #4 CB role, but both should make the team handily.

No real news on Kyle Fuller, but he's safe, given the precarious depth on the OL.

UDFA Dylan Cole is the star of the show so far. Led the team with 10 tackles (five solo) and had a pass defense to go along with it. He's incredibly athletic and just has a nose for the ball. He's going to get into ST play, and - if I'm being honest - he looks like the better rookie ILB vs the highly touted Cunningham.

Over Lamar Miller? 

14 minutes ago, Haha21 said:

Over Lamar Miller? 

Yes, absolutely. Miller was miscast last season as an every down/every situation guy. He did his best, but running him up the middle in an I formation isn't his game, and it really took a toll on him. 

A more fair assessment would be a 1a and 1b, with Miller starting off as the 1a but situating himself as the 1b as the season progresses. 

Patrick Mahomes looks like the best rookie or 1st year QB that I've seen in a Chiefs uniform in 25+ years so far in the preseason. He's easily the most talented Chiefs QB ever. That may not being saying much with the Chiefs history of drafting QB's and their scrapheap finds in FA and trade but he looks better than Alex Smith when he first came here, he looked better than Trent Green when he came here as well. He looks much more advanced and no doubt he could start day 1 if Smith gets injured. He got promoted to #2 last week and shined in the game vs the Bengals. I'm really impressed with his reads and his ability to control the DB's with his eyes. Two things Alex Smith doesn't do well...still.

Tanoh Kpassgnon was a project. Is a mammoth human being. May become a stud but the Chiefs are one of the deepest, if not the deepest, along the defensive line.

Kareem Hunt looks like a stud. He was the highest rated RB coming out by PFF (Combine speed and school knocked him down). I think he will take over for Ware eventually this season and should see plenty of time early.

Jehu Chesson haven't noticed him much but he will likely make team. Chiefs traded up to draft him.

Ukeme Eligwe allegedly has been doing well but honestly, I haven't paid much attention to him.  

Leon McQuay III who? practice squad at best

UDFA Marcus Kemp likely wont make team but likely practice squad IMO.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:28 AM, bucsfan333 said:

McNichols looked great running the ball last night. I thought he looked better than Quizz and Sims.

I was a big fan of McNichols in the lead up to the draft. I was hoping the 49ers would take him - though he fit Shanny's scheme perfectly. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was a big fan of McNichols in the lead up to the draft. I was hoping the 49ers would take him - though he fit Shanny's scheme perfectly. 

When he runs and hits a wall, he seems to find a hole and fall forward for an extra yard or two. I like it. Quizz and Sims both just stop.

But Koetter doesn't seem as high on him as I am. He's our fifth RB right now. He'll be fourth once Dougie's suspension starts. I'm not sure what's gonna happen week four.

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

When he runs and hits a wall, he seems to find a hole and fall forward for an extra yard or two. I like it. Quizz and Sims both just stop.

But Koetter doesn't seem as high on him as I am. He's our fifth RB right now. He'll be fourth once Dougie's suspension starts. I'm not sure what's gonna happen week four.

Is Peyton Barber making the team?

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Is Peyton Barber making the team?

He should be battling this week for the chance to start for at least the first three games. He's been our second most impressive back through two games and Koetter and co. seem enamored by him.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

He should be battling this week for the chance to start for at least the first three games. He's been our second most impressive back through two games and Koetter and co. seem enamored by him.

Oh neat. I thought he was a fringe roster player haha

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I want Kizer to start. Matt Dayes has been really impressive. Myles has impressed me at times. Jabrill Peppers has been great on special teams. Njoku hasn't done anything.

This doesn't surprise me a whole ton. Now, I don't know if he's just been nicked up, or he's still buried a bit on the depth chart, but during the draft process, he was the one guy I had pegged as being a guy you draft for 2-3 years down the line. I thought he was going to have a "disappointing" rookie season (based on what people were expecting based on his natural gifts). He is very naturally talented, but there is just a whole ton that I think that he's still learning about not only the position, but really his body, how to use it, etc. I do think that there is going to be a time when he's probably going to be very good, but he's the one high profile guy from this draft that I would preach extreme patience on. 

Archived