Seahawks owner Paul Allen dies at 65

49erurtaza

12 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Owners dropping like flies.

Yea, I just realized that too.  Chargers, Seahawks, and Panthers (for diff reasons ofc) have all lost their owner in the last year.  I think this makes Tepper the richest owner now.

What a great, great man (Allen that is) by all accounts. 

2 hours ago, pwny said:

He also was the cofounder of Microsoft.

The foundation he created to help in the administration of his philanthropic pursuits gave away nearly $500 million. And as a member of the Giving Pledge, at least half of his reported $20.2 billion net worth will be given to charity.

That is one amazing person. In his life he will have given ~$11B to charity. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Wow, that is incredible. I guess I am glad he has passed? Seahawks get worse and 10 billion dollars go to those in need. Seems like a win-win 

Thats a Bill Gates thing, He has been challenging the richest of the rich to give 1/2 of their money away. Allen was one of the good ones. 

18 hours ago, animaltested said:

In the 20 years before Allen bought the team, the Seahawks went to the playoffs 4 times winning 1 AFC West title.

In the 20 years after Paul bought the team the Seahawks have been to the playoffs 12 times, won 9 NFC/AFC West Titles and went to 3 Super Bowls.

Huge loss for the Seahawks, and the city of Seattle in general.

Very well said.  Also, Allen has done great things for the Portland Trail Blazers.  His work in the pacific northwest has been tremendous and he will be greatly missed.

Really sad to hear this, he came off as a down to Earth owner who put the players on his team first. I once read the players' lockers were basically small apartments - TVs, XBoxes, little refrigerators for food and drinks - little things like that makes me think he's a guy who wanted his players to be comfortable as possible. 

I also remember reading a story - Allen was in the War Room with Mike Holmgren during the 2001 draft. They knew OL was the need, and narrowed it down to Steve Hutchinson or Jeff Backus. Allen was talking about Hutchinson and finished his pitch with a "he's NASTY!" Just really amped up on the pick. But then he quickly backtracked and said "you're the expert here, not me. I'll support whatever pick you make, coach." (Hutchinson was the pick at the end of the day).

It comes off as a guy who knew his place - he's invested, both financially and emotionally but let people do their jobs and trust their decisions. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Allen was talking about Hutchinson and finished his pitch with a "he's NASTY!" Just really amped up on the pick. But then he quickly backtracked and said "you're the expert here, not me. I'll support whatever pick you make, coach." (Hutchinson was the pick at the end of the day).

It comes off as a guy who knew his place - he's invested, both financially and emotionally but let people do their jobs and trust their decisions. 

That's basically saying "This is who I want, but it's your call. But that's who I want so you better take him but it's your call."

On 10/15/2018 at 5:24 PM, animaltested said:

In the 20 years before Allen bought the team, the Seahawks went to the playoffs 4 times winning 1 AFC West title.

In the 20 years after Paul bought the team the Seahawks have been to the playoffs 12 times, won 9 NFC/AFC West Titles and went to 3 Super Bowls.

Huge loss for the Seahawks, and the city of Seattle in general.

Let's not forget, before Allen bought the team in 1996, there was rampant speculation about the team moving to either LA or even Cleveland.  His commitment to keeping the Seahawks in Seattle saved football in what I regard as a great sports city.  He deserves every bit of his legacy that he leaves behind, both inside and outside of sports

Archived