Week 7 Bengals @ Chiefs

MrCincinnati

Dre Kirkpatrick is absolute garbage. 

Teryl Austin is a really bad D-Coordinator. Like where was this hype of him being great coming from?

Our linebackers are garbage. 

We cant tackle. 

Andy Dalton went back to staring down AJ

Our offensive gameplan was horrid

on to Tampa Bay and the bye before the New Orleans slaughter 

So, this was worse than expected.  There really are no silver linings.  Watching the first half, it kind of seemed like ol' Marv wanted to play this game like every other game of his career - if the offense doesn't start hot, punt and play field position.  Problem is, that doesn't work in today's NFL.  You have to be aggressive and play to score, or this happens.

I don't pin this loss on any of the players.  Why?  Because a lot of these players would start for the Chiefs.  The problem is that this team is poorly coached.  

I've been loosely on the fire Marv bus the last few years.  I think i'm firmly in it now.  The game has passed him by the last 2-3 years.  The NFL is much different in 2018 than it was even in 2015.  The rules changes have made aggressiveness on offense a must, and this guy still wants to punt from the opponents 40.

It's like the NFL instituted the 3 point line, and Marvin is still instructing his players to drive to the hole every time.

This team is still talented enough to win 9-10 games.  They have Cleveland 2x, Tampa, Oakland and Denver.  They should win all those.  Sneak a win against Baltimore, LAC, NO or Pitt and they're in the playoffs.

However, it's not going to matter...again.  Because the problem with this team continues to be that they can't play big when it matters, because they're not willing to take any risks that win ball games.  Mike Vrabel and the Titans went for 2 in yesterday's game instead of taking overtime.  They probably should have kicked the PAT because they were dominating that game, and likely would have won in OT.  Marv in that situation would have went for the PAT and OT.  But Marv every situation would have kicked the PAT, and that's the bigger problem.  You can't play every single game the same exact way, or you'll consistently get beat against certain teams (like Pittsburgh).  Adapt or die.  

8 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Bengals peaked way to early this season. Injuries have caught up to this team and they don't look like a playoff team. Would not be surprised in the least bit if this team doesn't even finish .500

But 7 wins would be enough to keep Marvin Lewis job because this mike brown has no balls.

Starting to finally lose my patience with Andy Dalton as well, Burfict just needs to go away. Gotta shed these some of these losers on this team if they ever want to make the next step. I hope AJ Green threatens to leave if the team doesn't do something next offseason.

I think that's too reactionary.  Yes, they have some warts and they're probably not a SB winning team.  But they'll turn around and beat the bad teams, because they always do.  

As for your last paragraph, take a deep breath.  Last night was not AD's fault.  AJ isn't leaving.  And yes, Burfict is probably not worth the headache anymore, but he's here so just try to ignore it best you can.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I think that's too reactionary.  Yes, they have some warts and they're probably not a SB winning team.  But they'll turn around and beat the bad teams, because they always do.  

As for your last paragraph, take a deep breath.  Last night was not AD's fault.  AJ isn't leaving.  And yes, Burfict is probably not worth the headache anymore, but he's here so just try to ignore it best you can.

I'd be happy to move on from Burfict,  the witch hunt against that guy is nuts. Sadly,  if we cut him, he'll go to New England,  play the same way and I'll have to endure countless stories about how he changed his life around. My head might explode when that happens. 

I also think  Dalton can win with a better head coach.  Sadly,  we won't find that out, as this team will be right in the playoff hunt all year. 

Now that I've had a day to process the loss, here's the two things that bothered me the most:

1. Not allowing WJIII to shadow Hill.  We still lose and probably by a lot, but in what world does anyone think a scheme that matches up Shawn Williams or Jessie Bates one-on-one versus Hill is a good one?  I don't want to say we're smarter than a NFL coaching staff, but my word that was stupid.
  2. Our stagnant offense.  I thought we finally were able to address the issue of no one outside of AJ Green (and Tyler Eifert when he was healthy) being effective.  Boyd, Uzomah, and Mixon are talented but AJ was the only threat on offense yesterday.  Besides throwing the ball to AJ, our offense did nothing well against the Chiefs D...

Archived