Green Bay Packers Depreciation Thread

MacReady

Our offense is pretty talented IMO other than interior oline and backup TEs, which is kinda nitpicking tbh. We've restocked RB and WR pretty well considering our investment these last two years - judge is still out on the WRs but they're looking good at the moment.

Ironically our defense could use an influx of talent even though we've been spending all of our premium picks on that side of the ball - 10 out of 12 picks in the first three rounds during the last 4 years were spent on defense. I chose 4 years because that's what rookie contracts last but the trend goes back to 2012.

There's obviously a lack of talent compared to other teams who have had waaayyyy more draft capital over the last 3,5,8 years. The natural progression of a team with an elite QB.

It's also a conservatively run team which will keep the floor high but affect the ceiling as well.

There's gaps in the roster and the identity of the team is operating at like 60%. There's some young talent to be very excited about, however.

Need at least a red chip edge to be a home field contender, though. Didn't work out this year, though.

Just now, incognito_man said:

There's obviously a lack of talent compared to other teams who have had waaayyyy more draft capital over the last 3,5,8 years. The natural progression of a team with an elite QB.

It's also a conservatively run team which will keep the floor high but affect the ceiling as well.

There's gaps in the roster and the identity of the team is operating at like 60%. There's some young talent to be very excited about, however.

Need at least a red chip edge to be a home field contender, though. Didn't work out this year, though.

Yup, our first round picks next year need to become our first round pick next year.  Gute just took care of our skill positions for the next four years. 

Saw this on another forum and it sums up my feelings about this past game, and frankly this season:  “A come-from-behind, last minute win against the 49ers is like having diarrhea. It’s a relief to get it out of your system, but you still feel bad!”

It is what it is (this team), and I’m adjusting my expectations as we go.  No sense in denying that this team has holes, and the overall talent isn’t championship caliber.  The good news is, it’s possible that things could still change as this season goes along, and this squad might somehow find some chemistry and untapped talent it didn’t know it had - if that happens, I’ll be happy, surprised, and grateful for the effort.  If not, then I’ll keep on being a fan with hope in my heart that better days/seasons are ahead.  It’s just that simple really.  No use lamenting past drafts, or opportunities missed.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Saw this on another forum and it sums up my feelings about this past game, and frankly this season:  “A come-from-behind, last minute win against the 49ers is like having diarrhea. It’s a relief to get it out of your system, but you still feel bad!”

It is what it is (this team), and I’m adjusting my expectations as we go.  No sense in denying that this team has holes, and the overall talent isn’t championship caliber.  The good news is, it’s possible that things could still change as this season goes along, and this squad might somehow find some chemistry and untapped talent it didn’t know it had - if that happens, I’ll be happy, surprised, and grateful for the effort.  If not, then I’ll keep on being a fan with hope in my heart that better days/seasons are ahead.  It’s just that simple really.  No use lamenting past drafts, or opportunities missed.

Good analogy!

On 16/10/2018 at 4:52 AM, Outpost31 said:

Yup, our first round picks next year need to become our first round pick next year.  Gute just took care of our skill positions for the next four years. 

Too many eggs in one basket. The uncertainty factor (for me) is too high to blow two firsts on one pick. I'd rather use both picks separately than combine them.

Something like a first round edge rusher, first round safety, second round offensive  tackle, third round lineman (on either side of the ball) would do the trick for me. I wouldn't balk at a TE in 3rd, either.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:19 PM, Kepler said:

I believe it's all of the above.

Remember when Rodgers had Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Driver, Jones, and Finley? That's when he was great.

A couple bad drafts in a row.

McCarthy should go back to dancing in front of McDonald's in a Grimace costume.

Rodgers isn't elite now because he doesn't have a great WRs corps?  McCarthy now sucks because of a couple of bad drafts in a row?  Most of our problems go back to the feet of the last GM.  There is a reason why he was sent upstairs and was replaced.

53 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Rodgers isn't elite now because he doesn't have a great WRs corps?  McCarthy now sucks because of a couple of bad drafts in a row?  Most of our problems go back to the feet of the last GM.  There is a reason why he was sent upstairs and was replaced.

Feel better? I don't.

I truly think that GB is in a "can't win" situation concerning Rodgers and McCarthy.

There isn't enough talent currently to legitimately make a run at a Super Bowl.  Now, if the sun/moon/stars align and our rookies develop quickly?  Well, then there's a chance...with McCarthy at the helm.  And that is if the star QB will listen to him...which is not a given.

If they move on from Mac, then there is a new system to get installed, the coach needs to earn the trust of #12.  To me, that is a rebuild and will take probably 2 years to get through.

I"m just not sure if there is enough time, either way, to get Rodgers another title.

About the only variable that I can see if is free agency.  And even then, you gotta find the right guys to come in and immediately make a difference.  That isn't easy and it is risky.

Takes me back to the "can't win" situation.  Best case scenario is that the young WR develop quickly, with the young corners (which could happen).  GB hits on an edge or two in the next draft to actually give us a pass rush.  Rodgers and Mac have a meeting of the minds and get on the same page.  Then...possibly in 3 years GB has a good chance.  

Hope I'm wrong about that, but that is what I see.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I truly think that GB is in a "can't win" situation concerning Rodgers and McCarthy.

There isn't enough talent currently to legitimately make a run at a Super Bowl.  Now, if the sun/moon/stars align and our rookies develop quickly?  Well, then there's a chance...with McCarthy at the helm.  And that is if the star QB will listen to him...which is not a given.

If they move on from Mac, then there is a new system to get installed, the coach needs to earn the trust of #12.  To me, that is a rebuild and will take probably 2 years to get through.

I"m just not sure if there is enough time, either way, to get Rodgers another title.

About the only variable that I can see if is free agency.  And even then, you gotta find the right guys to come in and immediately make a difference.  That isn't easy and it is risky.

Takes me back to the "can't win" situation.  Best case scenario is that the young WR develop quickly, with the young corners (which could happen).  GB hits on an edge or two in the next draft to actually give us a pass rush.  Rodgers and Mac have a meeting of the minds and get on the same page.  Then...possibly in 3 years GB has a good chance.  

Hope I'm wrong about that, but that is what I see.

The thing the 97 team taught me is how difficult it is to get that title.

I don't know that they will get Rodgers number two, but there are things that teams do when the star QB is getting old to enhance that possibility, which involve mortgaging the future and going all in.  I am not sure we are to that point yet.

At the end of last year, I felt we had roster rot.  I felt it would take two good years to have enough draft picks and free agent aquisitions to get a plug for all the holes. 

I am encouraged by what I see this year.  I think Gute did an excellent job in his first draft bringing in players that can play.  A lot of people were down on the Alexander pick, calling him the next Terrell Buckley, saying he was under "the standard" for cornerback size.  Turns out Gute was right and bringing a new look to the issue has helped a lot.

The other thing I see is how Gute was willing to go with a "best choice" approach instead of drafting for need.  rather than going edge, an obvious need, he gets a player who can play, and a draft pick.  Then, in round two, he takes his BPA even though he already went corner.  Burks in 3 looks like a player, as does MVS in round 7.  Really, the only miss at this point looks like Madison in 5, as even J'mon had a nice play Monday night, as did EQ.

Another off season like this one, and we will be right back in it.  The key in the whole thing is whether or not Gute can maintain quality in the scouting system, a much overlooked aspect of fielding a quality team.

I don't think McCarthy is the issue.  No matter who coaches, fans will complain and want him replaced if the team is not winning like they want. 

If there is a silver lining, our D is performing well in yardage allowed, so maybe they'll eventually get it together and keep points off the board.  

I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves on the young receivers.  They are big and fast, and we were right to draft them.  But so many receivers flame out because they are unable to learn the intricacies of the position.  This is especially true of these late round fliers.  But they could be useful if they see the field and Rodgers is throwing the ball, even if they don't know exactly what they are doing

On 10/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, Outpost31 said:

Couldn't disagree more. Arguably our 2 biggest needs are also the strength of this years draft. If we can't come away with 2 starters from this class with those picks, nothing else much matters. Poor drafting got us here, and taking advantage of those 2 picks would be an excellent start in remedying that situation

Just now, cannondale said:

Couldn't disagree more. Arguably our 2 biggest needs are also the strength of this years draft. If we can't come away with 2 starters from this class with those picks, nothing else much matters. Poor drafting got us here, and taking advantage of those 2 picks would be an excellent start in remedying that situation

Who will be available in the mid-twenties?  I'm not 100% opposed to double dipping at EDGE, but it depends on their quality.  Two players who have a shot at being a good starter there isn't as good as one shot at getting a dominant EDGE. 

If it's a choice between getting Bosa and two Takk McKinley/Taco Charltons, I'll go with one Bosa. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Who will be available in the mid-twenties?  I'm not 100% opposed to double dipping at EDGE, but it depends on their quality.  Two players who have a shot at being a good starter there isn't as good as one shot at getting a dominant EDGE. 

If it's a choice between getting Bosa and two Takk McKinley/Taco Charltons, I'll go with one Bosa. 

Bosa is going top 5. Do yourself a favor and give up on that dream

Archived