Green Bay Packers Depreciation Thread

MacReady

On 10/17/2018 at 10:38 AM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The thing the 97 team taught me is how difficult it is to get that title.

I don't know that they will get Rodgers number two, but there are things that teams do when the star QB is getting old to enhance that possibility, which involve mortgaging the future and going all in.  I am not sure we are to that point yet.

At the end of last year, I felt we had roster rot.  I felt it would take two good years to have enough draft picks and free agent aquisitions to get a plug for all the holes. 

I am encouraged by what I see this year.  I think Gute did an excellent job in his first draft bringing in players that can play.  A lot of people were down on the Alexander pick, calling him the next Terrell Buckley, saying he was under "the standard" for cornerback size.  Turns out Gute was right and bringing a new look to the issue has helped a lot.

The other thing I see is how Gute was willing to go with a "best choice" approach instead of drafting for need.  rather than going edge, an obvious need, he gets a player who can play, and a draft pick.  Then, in round two, he takes his BPA even though he already went corner.  Burks in 3 looks like a player, as does MVS in round 7.  Really, the only miss at this point looks like Madison in 5, as even J'mon had a nice play Monday night, as did EQ.

Another off season like this one, and we will be right back in it.  The key in the whole thing is whether or not Gute can maintain quality in the scouting system, a much overlooked aspect of fielding a quality team.

I don't think McCarthy is the issue.  No matter who coaches, fans will complain and want him replaced if the team is not winning like they want. 

Very nice post.  I enjoyed reading it!

I liked the Alexander pick, especially since we got another first round when getting him.  It was a great move by Gute.

I didn't like the Burks pick then and I still don't like it now.  He's small, not physical and lacks instincts.  To me, he does not look like he belongs in the NFL yet.  It is going to take a year to get him physically ready for the game and possibly another year for him to see enough of the NFL to react to it in an appropriate manner for a linebacker.

And that is kind of my point in being in a "can't win" situation.  The Rodgers clock is ticking.  I don't think GB can afford to wait 2-3 years for rookies to truly "get it" and develop enough to help him win a Super Bowl.

I'd advocate for free agency.  Not in an "all in" manner.  But...the right linebackers can help out any defense.  Let's stop relying on the raw rookies, like Burks and go get a true and test ILB to pair with Martinez.  Not a Colt castoff, but a bonafide starter.  Let's get a safety like that as well.  Just solid starters who can play NFL ball.  We can back them up with rookies, but let's get some good solid vets in there.

I think that Mac is an issue...not the issue.  This team plays soft football.  They lack energy and enthusiasm.  They are playing tight and as if they don't really care.  That is on the coaching staff.  Those guys need to loosen up and have fun.  Take a lesson from the Brewers, perhaps!

And...with all that, I'm very, very encouraged by the young corners.  If GB can find an edge kid or two next year that can play as well as Alexander and Jackson, then I'll feel much better about things.

Archived